Author Topic: It's ME!  (Read 11688 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
It's ME!
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »
Hi Gang!  ;D ;D ;D
How are you all? I have missed you!
No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth just busy, busy! Everything is going well. Far too busy in my teacher career, I need to find a balance in my life; I think I am on the right road. You would think that after brain surgery that I would have learned or listened to my body.
My husband' company was bought out so he was offered a package. He took it and started his own company making and selling utility vaults. Its called Utilicon if that sort of thing interests you. He has a web site and is doing very well.
We moved into a much larger house that needs renovations, before he started his business, so the renos have slowed down.
It is almost 3 years since my surgery and lots to tell. Just a quick summary; my surgeon was wonderful. He really took his job seriously. I did have complications due to the fact that my tumour was large (went undetected for 10 yrs) and quite stuck on my facial nerve. Ideally the plan was that just maybe he might save my hearing (I had not lost any), remove the whole tumour and avoid facial paralysis. None of which happened. My surgery was 12-14 hours. My facial nerve was still intact.
I don't see him now at all - interns read my MRI and quite frankly I could do it on my own now. Yearly MRIs. I was told by another surgeon that he probably doesn’t want to see me because he is reminded of a failure. I see it differently - I am alive and my facial nerve is recovering nicely, I am looking into a transear (so close to coming to Canada, I will be letting you all know once I am holding it!)  and I monitor my wee piece yearly and which I will deal with whatever head on.
I see a facial therapist every 6 weeks. Not 100% but getting better, I am still self conscious when I meet new people and I do miss my smile. The eye is good (no weight) I still put drops in every hour, near the end of the day maybe more often. I do think of maybe getting one… I sleep with my eye taped up, I am such a pro now it’s just one of my night time routines like brushing my teeth. I used to wear sunglasses that I modified with sleep eze foam now I just wear big sunglasses. Thank goodness they are in style.
I do get a throbbing in my head (where my surgery was) if I over do it and am very tired.
Do I wish things turned out differently? Yes, of course but I need to remind myself things could have turned out a lot worse.  I do not stress about these minor things there is so much to live for and enjoy!
I cannot wait to get caught up and read and hear all about you all!
Hugs Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: It's ME!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »
Hi, Michelle - and welcome back!

Good to see you posting again.  Your update was certainly interesting and I'm glad to learn that you and your family are doing well, even if you're a bit overworked at times. 

Your acceptance of and adjustment to the physical deficits you incurred as a result of your AN surgery are excellent examples of how to cope with these issues.   I have to say that I truly respect your attitude.  Positive and forward-looking with a touch of philosophic sagacity that is admirable.  Thanks for dropping in - and now that you're back, 'don't be a stranger'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
Thank you Jim!  :-* i HAVE MISSED YOU ALL.
Let the truth be known I also lost my password!  >:D
HAHA and I thought it a little lame blaming it on brain surgery!  :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:19:29 pm »
Hey Michelle!  Good to "see" you!

Around here, you can blame ANYTHING on brain surgery!   :D

I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you and it sounds like you've been full speed ahead!  Good for you!  I agree with Jim - I respect your awesome attitude (he just phrases it more eloquently).

Good luck to your husband on his new business venture!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »
I have to say. I blame a lot on brain surgery!  I am so glad to hear your positive attitude, Michelle!  You sound really great. Welcome back to the forum   :D :D :D  You have been missed.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:15:54 am »
*runs in.... gives Michelle a BIG welcome-back smoochie  :-*  :-*.... runs back out!*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:58:30 am »
Hey, Michelle!  Glad to hear from you and that things are going well for you!  New house, new business...sounds very exciting - good for you guys!

Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »
Thanks everyone, it is so nice to be back! Balance - balance I need to keep it in check - life can get so busy!
XOXOXOXOX

moe

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »
Hi Michelle!
Nice seeing and hearing from you again!
Sounds like life is good, and like most of us, we overdo it and our bodies tell us.
I've been an Operating room aholic, (?) ::)with all my recent surgeries for the facial paralysis.
After the doctor finally admitted that the 12/7 had "marginal results" i.e. didn't work, I had an amazing procedure at UW in Seattle-cheek implant from muscle on my inner thigh to cheek.  I have movement to that cheek area now. Woo hoo :D
Then the BAHA, just finished a BROW LIFT and CANTHOPLASTY-(need to add that to my sig.)
I hope I'm Done. I'm so burned out on surgeries, but they were all necessary.
I'm on FB if you want to see pics...
Keep in touch!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:18:18 am »
Hey, Michelle is back and posting. Woo-hoo!  ;D

Hi, welcome back. The AN turns out to really just be a detour, doesn't it? Life ends up plowing full steam ahead, no matter what. Glad you are doing okay.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:03 am »
HI Michelle
I can almost hear your excitement at being in the land of the living.  Good on ya!  ;D

Cheers,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:38:52 am »
Hi Michelle:  Great to hear you're doing so well !  Wow,  lots of changes for you.  It seems like it was all so long ago, & we have all learned life does go on.  I tend to 'stay in the moment' & do enjoy life so much more after we have all been through so much.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
Hi, Michelle.  Glad you're back; hope you stick around.

Your attitude is very refreshing, and just for the record I think you look marvelous in your profile picture.

I hope the TransEar comes your way soon; I've heard it's a good solution to SSD.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:26:49 am »
Nice to hear from you too, Michelle. It was good to read an upate on everything that's happening. I hope your husband's new business continues to grow and all goes well with the home renovation!

I took a long break from the forum too a while back. I think I lost my login, and then I felt like if I got back on I'd need to read everything about everybody, which can be too difficult at times. But I missed everyone - this forum has so much help, so much information. I don't keep us as well with the newbies as I'd like. But, life is busy!

Again, great to hear of your updates and progress.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »
Hey, Michelle!
Nice to hear from you, and so glad that things seem to be going well. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com