Author Topic: Just when I was relaxing .....  (Read 59696 times)

ombrerose4

Re: Just when I was relaxing .....
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
Clarice,

You a truly one spunky lady! I am so glad everything is going so well for you ;D
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Jackie

« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2011, 12:30:09 am »
Clarice my dear,

Just so very excited that your recovery is going so well! I must say you are so deserving!!!
Continued Blessings and answer to prayers!!! Please say hello to La David and the gang!!
Lovingly
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2011, 06:46:21 am »
Clarice

You amaze me... I am in utter awe! :)  Continued wellness wishes to you! Please give my love to David, Nancy and Lainie... have a fantastic visit!

xoxooxox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2011, 06:53:44 am »
Clarice is one pretty amazing lady in many ways!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mk

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2011, 07:49:25 am »
Hi Clarice,

it is interesting that we have exactly the same issues: I also have the very weird taste, very slight facial weakness and eye dryness. I realized yesterday that my AN side eye does not tear. I think that all these symptoms are the result of the facial nerve weakness, as I was reading that the facial nerve controls the taste on the anterior 2/3 of the tongue. Let's hope these will improve with time as the nerve heals. Have a great flight home on Monday.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Keeping Up

« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2011, 10:33:16 am »
Clarice

Great progress - you (and your surgery buddy MK) have had a rough and long road with this AN thing.  Glad to hear your recovery is going as well as can be expected.

Hope you can just go ahead and relax now, you deserve it!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »
Hi All .....

Phyl and Kay ......  You two are the amazing ladies on this forum!!!  Both of you have had far more issues than I have, but you still continue to be a tremendous influence and support to all of us on here!

Marianna .....  That is interesting that you have the same weird stuff going on post-op.  You know exactly what I am talking about then.  Really just minor annoyances at this point and I know it will get better before long.  This morning was my last Decadron pill so we'll see if that makes any difference in a few days.  It's always possible I may need to have another countdown to relieve the symptoms.  Sure not anxious for that, because I am looking forward to sleeping more than an hour at a time!!!  But you know that drill, as well!

..... and yes, Ann, I do definitely plan to relax for good now!  Dr. Friedman said no MRI for a year (he is that confident that the tumor is ALL gone this time), another in 4 years and that would be it.  I am choosing to believe him!!!

Hope I remember everyone who said to tell the LA Gang "hi" from them!   ;D  Nancy is picking us up at 2:00 and we are meeting David and Lainie at The Yardtown in LALive for lunch/dinner and talking!!!!  Just know it will be a fun "chatter-filled" time.

Thanks to all of you for your tremendous encouragement and support!!

Love, Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2011, 09:32:38 pm »
Clarice, I was wondering how you are doing?  Figure it must be about 6 weeks since your surgery!   I hope things are coming along well.   Do you think this translab procedure and healing, etc. were easier, better or worse than previous surgery?   

Are you on facebook?
 Take care & wishing you well!!
Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
Hi Denise again .....

Just answered your other question about Medicare coverage.  Yes, it was six weeks ago yesterday ...... seems like a year ago, in many ways.  I am doing extremely well.  The healing/recovery was hugely easier than three years ago ..... mainly because all of my compensating for balance had been done.  Far less fatigue this time, as well.  I still have ongoing balance issues because of my lack of any vestibular systems and still a tiny bit of gaze stabilization problems when I am tired.  But overall, doing great.

Went to the symposium last week-end and had such a warm, fuzzy time with fellow AN patients!

Yes I am on Facebook.  PM me your Facebook name and I'll look for you.

Clarice

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2011, 10:25:42 pm »
That is GREAT News!!

So glad that it already seems 'like' a year ago...that means the recovery & healing is going smoothly  ;D   Definately makes a lot of sense that it can be easier because of the vestibular stuff already affected!!     O.K., what exactly is gaze stabilization?  I know I heard it before, but not sure what it really is.   So, your abutment area must be healing up well too!?!?   Only a couple more months to go and hopefully the BAHA will be awesome for you!   8)

Glad you had a good time and were able to go to the symposium, bet it was fun too  ;)  I think I would have liked to go more to meet others from here than anything.     

Take care...will pm ya
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2011, 05:49:43 am »
Hi Denise .....

Gaze stabilization is being able to keep one's eyes from jumping around when looking at an object or something.  Sometimes I turn to look at something else and my eyes just keep moving around for a few seconds before holding still.  I really need to go back and resume the vestibular exercises I used to do on a regular basis following my first surgery three years ago.  The best one is putting a large black letter on a sticky note, put it at eye level on a wall, back up about 6 feet, then hold my gaze on it while moving my head back and forth ..... first sideways, then up and down.  Just thought it would eventually settle down on its own.  It's always worse when I'm tired or stressed.

Re:  the abutment.  There were two Oticon reps at the symposium that I was able to spend time with.  One of them is a nurse.  She looked at my abutment and said it had healed beautifully and in fact looked fully osseointegrated already.  FDA requires both Cochlear and Oticon to recommend not attaching the processor for three months.  In my opinion it is to protect themselves from the worst case scenario patient who takes that long to osseointegrate.  I am still in the process of finding where I can most easily go for the processor to be programmed (I already have the Ponto Pro from HEI.)

Yes, one of the most valuable aspects of the symposium is the networking with other ANers.  I met a whole bunch of new people ...... many not on the forum and it was exhilarating to be able to share with each other.  Of course, I still learned many more things from the presenters, as well.

See you on FB.  Clarice

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
Now I get it  ;)   I remember doing those same exercises after my surgery.   I was glad someone showed me how to do that one plus many others before leaving the hospital, otherwise I don't think I would have been able to really understand the vestibular things.   Due to my delayed facial paralysis it seemed like I needed to do all kinds of those excersises for a long time.   I do say I still have some eye issues too, when I am more tired or stressed.   Actually at a recent thourough eye exam she was a bit concerned still over my eye and was doing everything to purposley see how fast it would fatigue because my eye actually seemed like it got stuck (or something).  She then figured a lot had to do with how dry my eye on my surgical side is because for some reason I never got the tears back there.   ugh!

Thanks for updating me on the terms  ;)
Denise

Keri

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:53 pm »
i believe 'osseointegrate; is about the coolest sounding word i've heard in a  long time!

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2011, 05:00:33 pm »
Just made the appointment today for a date for my Ponto Pro "hook up" in Lexington, KY.  AUGUST 4TH.  Yaaaaaaaaaaay!  I can hardly wait!  Really tired of saying "Will you repeat that please?  I did not understand you."

Plus, the other day my 2-year-old granddaughter was talking to me on my deaf side (out of my line of vision) and I did not see nor hear her until the person on my hearing side said, "Uhhhhhhh, Rachel is trying to talk to you."

36 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarice

Mei Mei

« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:47 pm »
Good Luck to you.   I was thinking of going to Tenn to get the TransEar.   You are right to go the distance.   There are too many problems with bad fittings by audiologists that don't know what they are doing.   The bad fittings set us up for failure.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh