Author Topic: Another ANer  (Read 2397 times)

Cheryl R

Another ANer
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:29:46 am »
Last eve I went to a supper and cont ed class at a restaurant even, on MS.   I told the gal who sat beside me that I couldn't hear out of that ear in case I missed what she said.    She said no problem, My husband is the same way.    Ever hear of acoustic neuroma?      She was quite surprised to hear that I had and had 3 of them.     His surgery was 10 yrs ago where I also go and probably around 6 weeks ahead of my first one.   He is SSD and did well.    He was 60 at the time. She couldn't remember the size but sounded like fairly good size.     Told her of here but he is pretty much not into AN info now.      She couldn't say enough good things about our surgeon and I agreed.                      Just had to share this!
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Another ANer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:04 am »
Cheryl .....

I had heard of acoustic neuromas before I was diagnosed, but did not know anyone personally until after I had mine ...... then it seemed like I kept finding more and more.  I guess we just do not clue in until we see someone with one-sided facial weakness or unilateral hearing loss and think, could it be an AN??

I heard a speaker last year at a totally non-health related event.  He had slight facial weakness on one side.  Sure enough, he had had an acoustic neuroma.  Suddenly I felt very connected to him.

Glad this man has obviously gone on with his life successfully.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Another ANer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:48:57 am »
Cheryl ~

I know what you mean about the surprise of unexpectedly finding someone you've just met is an AN 'survivor' or, in your case, married to one.  Prior to my diagnosis, the only AN person I knew was a lady in our church that suffered from facial paralysis.  We only knew her casually and she had relocated to a different church by the time I received my AN diagnosis.  However, I did run into her at a religious seminar a year after my surgery.  She was very interested in my experience (and quite gracious) but she still had the facial paralysis and I was almost embarrassed to say too much about my good surgical/radiation outcome.  My wife recently met a lady whose husband had an acoustic neuroma but, like me, had a successful surgery and no real complications.  I can understand anyone who comes through the 'AN experience' without a lot of issues and is eager to leave it behind, as it were.  We have a lot of folks like that on these forums, and we don't mind a bit.  They come here for advice and support, then drift off once they are done with surgery/radiation and feel they are past the 'AN thing'.  No problem - we're glad to help.  However, we appreciate folks like you that remain connected here and offer your experience, advice and support to other AN patients.  Your nursing background is also a plus, in some instances.  So, thanks. for your post and your presence  :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.