Author Topic: Assistance after surgery  (Read 8035 times)

Sefra22

Assistance after surgery
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:12:08 pm »
I have not yet met with a neurosurgeon,( I will July 6). One of my concerns though is what life is like when you first get home from the hospital. Do you need someone with you at all times for a while? Can you walk by yourself, make meals, etc? When I made my appointment I was told the Dr. wanted me to bring my "family members". Should I bring someone else besides my husband? Am I going to have to rely on my parents and brother while my husband is at work? I know that's a lot of questions! I just want to be as prepared as possible for my first meeting with the Dr.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Assistance after surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:24:47 pm »
Sefra22,
  These are great questions for your Doctor too.  There can be a lot of variability in how quickly people recover from AN surgery, depending on AN size, how much balance was aready compromised on the AN side (has balance already compensated for Vestibular nerve damage), the location of the AN and how involved it was with other nerves and brain structures, etc.
  To try to give some idea of an "average" AN case, if there is such a thing.  Many people spend one day in neuro-ICU after surgery, then move to the neuro-ward.  Hospital release is commonlly 5 days after surgery. 
  Your needs at home will vary, a lot having to do with your balance recovery.  You will probably be very weak at first, and require a lot of naps.  Things may seem overwelming at first, but things improve rapidly.  If surgery sacrficed the vestibular nerve on the AN side, you may need a walker for a few days as vestibilar function compensates to only having imput from one side.  Many people return to driving and work after 1 to 2 months.
  Wishing the best for you and your recovery.  Ask more guestions, this is a great place to get feedback on real life AN experiences.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:00:58 pm »
Thanks for the info. I have no balance problems now, although I would blame my lifelong clumsiness on that if I could! Sounds like I will need some help at first. I wonder if I can get them to clean my house..... :P
Diagnosed June 2006

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 01:10:03 pm »
Sefra I was told by the two neuros I consulted with that I'd need someone with me for the first two weeks after surgery.  I know I did not fair as well as they hoped and I needed help for more like 2 mos but I really think the two week margin is the norm.  You should not lift after surgery especially from the floor up.  Heck it should make your head hurt if you try.  So my advice would be if your husand works during the day and won't be aval then take with you the person you feel with help the most or can help coordinate the care you'll need.  I was able to be left for short periods of time.  I needed help with laundry, household chores and cooking. 

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Don't forget you'll need baby shampoo after surgery!  Makes washing your hair easier since closing your eyes in the shower can make your head spin and shampoo in the eye burns something fierce  :o

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:20:43 pm »
I haven't yet had surgery, but I was advised (by both the neuro-ENT and the neurosurgeon) to have help for a month.  But that's because I'm a stay-at-home mom to two little boys.  The neurosurgeon was careful to point out that I wouldn't need help for *myself* that long, but that I wouldn't be able to take care of the kids by myself.  He also said that they generally advise against driving or lifting more than 10 lbs until after the 4 week post-op checkup.  (My 16-month-old is 29 lbs!)

If you're only taking care of yourself, it'll probably be easier.  But you'll still want to take it really easy and not do too much - that speeds recovery in the long run.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:37:16 pm »
I had a 4.5cc AN removed on June 7th, 2006.  9 hour surgery.  4 days in ICU, 1/2 day in a regular(semi-private) room., released on day 5.

ICU is a blur of fatigue, needles and nurses.  Slept a lot the first week home, took frequent naps and basically did nothing.  I had little interest in doing much and being retired, with a very helpful spouse, I didn't have to.  Finally, after 14 days, the hospital meds wore off and my strength began coming back. Now, about 5 weeks post-op, I'm fully regaining my balance and feeling almost 'normal' again.

My neurosurgeon has commented thst I'm in the 'top 5%' of his patients, in terms of both a successful tumor removal and recovery progress, so I may not be all that typical.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 03:09:06 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 05:28:57 pm »
You can take care of youself if someone checks in on you every hour of so for the first few days home.  You'd want someone close by to keep track of how much med you are taking, check you out, look at your incision, eyes, and general state of mind.  You can warm up soups, fix simple meals, and take care of grooming tasks.  You should defintely use a shower chair.  You will need fresh air each day, many little short walks either indoors or around your house, and lots of water to drink.  Taking care of housekeeping, laundry, lifting, and extended conversations should be left to somebody else.  You will really crave sleep.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:36:57 pm »
Jim you sound like you're having a phenominal recovery :o
Do you have any facial numbness?

Boppie I couldn't even fix a simple microwave meal until I was 3 mos post op...of course I do know I am the exception to the rule!  I'm always in that darn 1% but never when it comes to winning the lottery  LOL

KR sounds like you're doctor is giving you the straight up.  I had a 15 year old at home which does make a difference.  Keep us posted on your surgery!

**still shaking my head over Jim's story...Such wonderful news to hear**  :)

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 05:46:31 pm »
I was in the hospital 6 days. I needed help walking when I came home(just an arm to hold on to) my husband took 2 weeks off and when he went back to work someone stayed with me for about 6 weeks.I did however end up with meningitis and was readmitted at about the two week mark for 10 days.I used a shower chair and a hand held shower head when showering but I still needed help getting in and out of the shower.
I stocked up on soups and easy to prepare foods but we were blessed that friends and family brought meals for a few weeks. I didn't really feel like eating. I ate soup and popcicles for a couple of weeks. Family and friends are very important during this time for both encouragement and help.
The more questions you ask the better prepared you will feel. This group offers a great source of information. Feel free to ask and know no question is a silly one.
You are in our thoughts and prayers,
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 08:28:48 pm »
Oh I ate popsicles by the boxes!  I had popsicles stains on the front of all my jammies  LOL

Lynn when did you have your surgery?  I'm assuming you have no facial numbness? 
Sounds like we're pretty close to treatment...I want to feel like my old self again! 
I don't think that is happening anytime soon so working on accepting the new self  ;D :-*

cookiesecond

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:55:22 pm »
Batty,
I know! I keep being told to get used to the new me!?! I liked the old me.
I had translab surgery 8-2-05 with no facial damage just ssd and balance issues. I had a previous neck/back injury from an accident and between the two things I can't do things like I used to. I hurt and get tired a lot easier.I am in pt for my neck and back(have been pretty much since 10-04) I recently started vestibular therapy. The therapist says it will take MONTHS more to see an improvement in my balance. I walk witohut assistance, I just feel a little off balance and I still get nauseous and dizzy.
My doctor's office called today to schedule my 1 year mri.I am very claustrophobic.... last time I had the open kind.I haven't had one since surgery and I do want them to be able to see what they need to so I have to decide. open or closed, sedated or not.I hate meds!
wind6(Sherry) and I had surgery the same day and her recent report has me worried.Keep both of us in your prayers.
Chicken noodle soup and popcicles were my good friends for awhile!

I agree with Boppie, I needed someone to keep up with my meds. I went into the hospital only taking pain meds as needed for my back and came back with...nausea medicine (much needed), something for my blood pressure (I wasn't on anything before,) more pain medicine, I was on vicodin before surgery and my doctor took me off because he said it is linked with hearing loss, zantac to help prevent an ulcer, stool softeners, water pills, steroids and having to check my sugar because it spiked in the hospital. I had never had a problem before..
I was very glad when I could dicontinue most of those!!!
my husband, sister or whoever wrote it down each time they gave me meds.
I hope everybody has a great Friday,
Lynn

Sefra22

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 08:59:04 am »
Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your experience. I'm so glad I found this site, it really makes it easier for me to know what I have to deal with.
Jim, I'm so glad you're doing so well! Top 5%!  You give me something to aspire to. I'm very competitive ;)
I talked to my brother last night and he is going with my husband and me to our first meeting with Dr. Florman (neurosurgeon).
He really had no idea how serious this was until we talked. I found that once I say  the word "benign" people think it's not a big deal to have a tumor on your brain! I set him straight though, and he is very supportive. We talked about what "freaks" we have in our family as far as rare disorders go. He has a very rare form of arthritis, (anklyosing spondilitis) that only .1-.2 of the population have. Our grandfather was the "one in a million" that died from the smallpox vaccine in the 1940's. I understand that AN is quite rare, as well. 
So, I laughed at your lottery comment, battyprincess, I can sooo relate!
Thanks again, and expect to hear from me often!
Diagnosed June 2006

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 09:14:58 am »
Lynn I'm thinking we are long lost twins  LOL I too suffer from neck/back problems due to a car accident and scoliosis.  I was used to the old me which took some doing and now this  LOL  Unf. I have the facial numbness with all your symtpoms too.  I did vestibular/physical therapy for 8 mos before I just couldnt' handle it anymore.  I need to call and start back but have been enjoying being able to be home with my son for a bit.  We're weeks apart in our treatment.  I just did my 10 month and didn't anything unremarkable told to me so hoping you don't either!  When I had my MRI this time they only put my head in the beginning of the tube they didn't put me all the way in like before :o)  Of course as soon as they do and say "don't move" my nose will start to itch  LOL :D

I too left with a plethera of drugs!  We joked about my walking pharmacy!  I wound up with 4 meds for my blood pressure, diabetes meds and testing kit, pain meds, stool softner, steriods, and stomach meds.  I was so happy when I finally got rid of them...unf. it didn't last long now they're just different  lol

Sefra you were fortunate that if you had to have a tumor in your brain you wound up with the right one as it is benign.  It is funny how when you mention Benign people dismiss the severity of what you are going through.  I'm hoping you beat Jim's 5%!!!

I think I'm in the 95% so heck you ought to beat me  LOL

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56:24 am »
Sefra22: When I had my very first surgery I still lived at home with my parents, I could not have functioned on my own by any means and certainly could not have done house work or cared for my children....it was all I could do to look after my own personal hygiene.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 01:29:41 pm »
Jim you sound like you're having a phenominal recovery :o

Do you have any facial numbness?

Still shaking my head over Jim's story...Such wonderful news to hear :)

Thanks. 

Yes, I guess I am having a phenomenal recovery, at that.   :) 

No facial numbness.  My surgeon was very careful to have his assistant monitor the facial nerves during the surgery and avoided them, to help be sure that I would not have any loss of facial feeling, one of my primary concerns that my surgeon clearly understood and agreed with.  The results are obvious. Dr. Issac Goodrich is an excellent neurosurgeon and has vast experience removing acoustic neuroma tumors, which is why I picked him to perform the surgery.    He knows what he's doing.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.