Author Topic: Newly diagnosed  (Read 5023 times)

Jane H

Newly diagnosed
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:13 pm »
My husband has been diagnosed with AN, was wondering if anyone out there has had Dr. Michael Seidman at the Henry Ford Hospital do their surgery. All the information is very daunting. Would like any feedback any of you who have already got through this procedure. His is 1.5 centimeters, and Dr. Seidman is recommending the Middle cranial fossa procedure.
Any information anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Jane

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Newly diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »
Hi Jane and welcome to this forum .....

I do not know anything about the doctors at Henry Ford Hospital, but hopefully others on here do.

Yes, the information can be very daunting.  Keep in mind ANs are almost always benign and very slow growing so you have time to do your research.  Depending upon the tumor's exact location and your husband's symptoms, at 1.5 cm he should still have all three options open to him:  wait and watch, surgery, or radiation.  Unless his symptoms are severely affecting his life and/or the doctor feels it is too close to the brainstem to wait, you should not feel in a rush to treatment.

What are his symptoms and/or what sent him for the MRI?

Best thoughts and let us know how he is doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »
Jane -

I searched on both Dr. Seidman and Henry Ford Hospital but didn't come up with any posts on the Forum.  But that doesn't mean a whole lot - lots of AN patients don't access the forum. 

As Clarice pointed out, with an AN of 1.5 cm your husband should have the option of watching & waiting (at least for a time), radiation, or surgery.  The location of his AN may have some bearing on this.

He should make sure he consults with a doctor who does radiation & surgery, or doctors who do radiation, and doctors who do surgery.  Basically he wants to cover all his bases because docs who only do surgery tend to recommend surgery and docs who only do radiation tend to recommend radiation.  He needs a well-rounded opinion (or opinions). 

AN treatment is a personal choice - what is right for one patient isn't necessarily right for another.  I personally chose surgery and it was a great choice for me, but others who picked radiation as just as happy with their choice. 

If your husband does choose surgery, mid fossa will give him the best chance of saving his hearing - if it's worth saving. 

You should contact the ANA for their (free) informational brochures.  You'll find info on the main web page.  The brochures are full of wonderful, helpful information.

Good luck to your husband on his AN Journey - making a treatment decision is often one of the biggest hurdles he'll face.  It's not easy, but he'll get there.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »
Hi Jane,
There are various reason one type of approach may be better than the other, age, health etc. One variable I read about radiation and I could be wrong but it can cause scaring and make surgery at a later date more problematic.
Sorry unable to complete thought, have to run.
Good luck,
Bill
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

Jane H

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:26 pm »
Thanks Bill and Jan, right now, everything is very confusing, but will send for the literature you recommended.
Jane

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:17:53 pm »
Confusion is par for the course, but things will get better.

One of the nice things about the ANA literature is that it's written in layman terms - not a lot of "medical speak".

Heck, even I could understand it  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:22:26 pm »
Ah, don't let Jan (leapyrtwins) fool you, she smart! :)  But seriously though, I am glad you found us on the internet, this is a very good group of people where you can bounce questions off of and vent if you have to. We aren't doctors and we can only answer to what we've all ourselves have experienced.  You'll find that a common phrase on here is "Each person is different" and that is very true, everyone handles every little thing about AN's differently.  We've all been where you are at now, so please continue to ask questions...there is no such thing as dumb questions here!  Good luck and welcome!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

moe

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »
Hi Jane and husband,
Welcome to the forum, sorry you have to be here but you will find great comfort and words of wisdom, advice, etc.
Just keep on asking questions. No question is too small or silly. ???
Definitely get a couple of different opinions. This is a small slow growing benign tumor as Clarice mentioned and time is on your side. No need to rush..
We're here for you and your husband!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
HI Jane, welcome to the forum!

That sounds like a familiar name and a Hospital in Detroit.  Are you from Michigan?  There are many from Michigan here.  The brochures from ANA are an AWESOME idea, please be sure to get them!!

You can go to the top SEARCH part and search his name or the hospital, etc.   

Best wishes!

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »
Hi, Jane ~

Clarice and Jan, two of our AN discussion forum doyens started off this thread with a raft of solid information, sage advice and credible opinions.  Maureen, Bill, Jay and Denise have added to it with additional constructive information.  This doesn't leave me much to do but to echo their comments and extend my welcome to you and your husband -  and I'm happy to do that.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »
I did try to search again and for some reason his name don't show up on the search, but DOES when you type in Henry Ford Hospital.   I Knew that was one of the 1st doctors Sue from Michigan had seen also.    If not, try Dr. Rock because I think his name was with Dr. S.   

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CarolineO

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 12:43:38 am »
Jane,

I hope you know that there are many "newbies" out there.  YOu can probably read posts regarding my 14 year old
and fears.  Know that the surgeries have gotten to be more practiced and a lot of information is shared with the
doctors.  They will share "worst case" scenarios so you know what is possible.

However, the surgeries are so much more successful.  Listen to your doctors and look to see what questions you
need to ask your doctors.  I don't envy you the next few months and the decisions you face.  However, most doctors
are very competent and will help you make good decisions.

I hope all goes well for you.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

~ Caroline- mother of Danna

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 07:33:03 am »
Jane -

didn't pick up on the fact that you are from Michigan.

There are some fabulous docs @ MEI (Michigan Ear Institute) - you might want to check them out.

Jan

suboo73

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 04:29:11 am »
Hi Jane H!

Just stopping by to say hello and welcome to the Forum!

I am in Watch & Wait, so I cannot speak about surgery.
But I have done my 'due diligence' and visited a very experienced AN neurosurgeon - he said I was a candidate for radiation, surgery or W & W.
After seeing no significant growth at 6 months, I continue in W & W.

It sounds like your husband might have some options as well.

Please take some time to digest all the information.  When you need a break, take a break!

Prayers all around that you and your husband find the answers you need.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jane H

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:22 pm »
Thanks to all who answered, we are still waiting for reports to be sent to Ron's local ENT, will have more tests done through him. Everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable on the subject. We are from the Traverse City area, so if any of you are from around here, would love to talk.
Thanks again everyone for being so supportive.
Jane