Author Topic: Surgery next Tuesday 4/5  (Read 5798 times)

micca82

Surgery next Tuesday 4/5
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:58 am »
Hi,

I have 5cm AN on my left side. I think I've been having symptoms for a while, but didn't pay much attention to it.
I'm 29 year old female and have 3 little girls (4,3,1). I'm going to fight through this for the family.

My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Tamargo and Dr. Francis on 4/5.

I'm really scared, but all this will pass.
Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you-
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery next Tuesday 4/5
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:47 am »
Hi micca82 .....

So glad you found us and posted.  Yes, it is scary to hear the diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma and you have a right to be frightened by the thought of it.  You have a very large AN so I am glad the doctors are acting quickly on it.

First of all, do not assume you will have facial nerve injury.  In many cases, the surgeons opt to debulk the tumor in order to save the facial nerve and then zap what remains with radiation ..... or simply leave any portion that may be attached to it and watch it with MRIs.  Often just cutting off the blood supply to the tumor will prevent any fragment from regrowing.

My children are all grown, but I have three granddaughters close to the ages of your three.  I had the same fears pre-surgery.  Fortunately I did not have any facial issues, but I firmly feel that if prepared ahead of time, your girls will quickly accept you as the same mom who loves and cares for them, if you do happen to have a problem.

Many thoughts and prayers as you prepare yourself and your family for next week.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:13:04 am »
Also in many cases facial paralysis can be a temporary matter.     How long depends on on each persons situitation.      I had facial paralysis for over 8 mos after a facial neuroma and a nerve graft done.    My oldest granddaughter was 2 at the time and gave my bandage more of a look than my face.           Children are just wanting to make sure it is their mother than is still there and taking care of them.        How you would talk about it is how they will understand it.      They will worry more if they see you are worried.         That is hard to do only in private though.         There is a chance that you will not have any or just a small amt for a short time.      Not knowing how the surgery affects us does make it all hard.       You will be tired for some time post op.    The first couple weeks are the hardest for most.       it is hard then to think that it is going to be like that forever but it does improve in time.                    In the chance you do end up with a facial problem then there are some surgeries who can help it also.      It may sound like many have worse problems here as most of the ones who do not are on here for a short time and then back to normal life and gone.            There have been several moms here who can give you better answers.               I wish you well with your surgery.                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

grega

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »
Prayers and virtual hugs go out to you micca82. 

Yep, 4/5 .... early Tues morning at Hopkins .... I went thru the same, although not with Tamarko.  But have only heard good things about him.  Feel strongly that he and his team will take good care of you.

And I like what you say about fighting for your family .... but do a bit of fighting for yourself too.  As we all will be doing!

We wish only the best for you!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
Hi, Micca - and welcome ~

I also was diagnosed with a large AN (4.5 cm) and underwent debulking surgery that included the severing of the tumor's blood supply.  The operation was very successful and upon awakening (in ICU) my prior symptoms had disappeared.  Although I underwent the retrosigmoid approach surgery my hearing nerve had been fatally compromised and my hearing in the affected ear did not return or improve.  90 days later, as a part of my doctor's plan, I underwent 26 FSR treatments to ensure the remaining AN would be permanently prevented from regrowing.  Later MRI scans indicated necrosis (tumor cell death) and even some slight shrinkage.  I suffered no real complications from the debulking surgery (performed by a neurosurgeon with 30 years experience operating on acoustic neuromas) and my recovery was relatively rapid.  I was driving again 2 weeks after my discharge from the hospital.  My point is that, while AN surgery can be somewhat intimidating due to the 'unknown' factor, it isn't necessarily the worst thing that could happen to you.  As Cheryl noted in her informative post, most post-op issues are temporary and even with the stubborn problems, there are surgeries and therapies that usually can alleviate whatever the problem may be.  I trust that with your positive attitude and obvious determination to surmount this challenge, you'll do quite well. and I will pray that it is so.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

micca82

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words, encouragement, and prayers.

They mean a lot to me.
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

staypoz

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »
Hi, Micca,

Good luck to you.  You are in great hands at Hopkins.  Dr. Francis is one of my all-time favorite doctors.  And the nurses are simply terrific. 

Wishing you the very best.

staypoz   

hendi51

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »
Good luck on your surgery. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Puppylove

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »
Good luck on your surgery. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a successful surgery and a smooth recovery. {{Hugs}}

Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

kenneth_k

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:26:39 am »
Good luck on surgery. I hope all goes well.

Best regards, Kenneth

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:55:17 am »
Micca82:

I will  keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You will be OK.

Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

LisaP

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:33:52 am »
Best wishes and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

nftwoed

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »
Hi;

It is the 5th...
  A prayer+ for safety and healing for micca. The AN is pretty large.

Hi,

I have 5cm AN on my left side. I think I've been having symptoms for a while, but didn't pay much attention to it.
I'm 29 year old female and have 3 little girls (4,3,1). I'm going to fight through this for the family.

My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Tamargo and Dr. Francis on 4/5.

I'm really scared, but all this will pass.
Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you-

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 04:10:12 am »
Have got all crossed for you down here too.
Many many hugs

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

LisaM

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:56:12 pm »

Sending you happy loving thoughts for a smooth and successful surgery.  May the tumor jump onto the surgical instruments and leave your head.. leaving all nerves intact!

Sending lots of love your way...
LisaM
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)