Author Topic: pain related  (Read 2797 times)

johncraw

pain related
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »
Hi all, I was just diagnosed last week.  I have a large tumor and it looks like surgery is in order.  the primary reason I got the MRI was not hearing loss but rather a shooting intense pain above my left eye.  the pain has intensified over the last week.  the pain hits about 20-39 times per day a each lasts about 15 to 20 seconds.  I was wondering if any one else experienced the same pain and did it go away after treatment.
thanks
john

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: pain related
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »
Hi, John - and welcome ~

I'm sorry you have an AN diagnosis and will need surgery - but I hope it goes well.  To answer your question: I experienced a similar type of intermittent, 'stabbing' pain on my left temple (where the AN was discovered) prior to my AN surgery.  Yes, it disappeared immediately after the operation (which was very successful).  I bet yours will, too.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:48:07 pm »
Hi John and welcome to this forum .....

The symptoms that go along with having an acoustic neuroma are quite varied, but as Jim said, they can include the stabbing pains you are experiencing.  Some of the differences happen because it depends upon which other cranial nerves your AN is pressing besides the vestibular portion of the auditory nerve.  I am not a doctor but if yours is large, it could very well be pressing on the trigeminal nerve, causing the stabbing pains.

If you notice my signature at the bottom, I had trigeminal neuralgia many years before the acoustic neuroma (on the opposite side) so I can empathize greatly with you on the awful, electric shock type pain.

To answer your question, if it is the AN pressing on the trigeminal nerve, it should be relieved when the tumor is removed.

I hope you have a neurosurgeon who is very familiar with specifically acoustic neuromas, since they are relatively rare.  There are many good surgeons around the country ..... just make sure you have an experienced one.

Many thoughts and prayers ..... and let us know how you are doing, etc.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lauralynn

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:05:17 pm »
Hello John,

Welcome to the An Forum...you have found the most awesome and very informative site!   I too am so sorry that you have been diagnosed but thank the Lord it is treatable.  As the other ANer's have said...everyone has different symptoms pre AN surgery.  I did not experience the awful intense pain you are having.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing and when your surgery will be scheduled.  I know when I first found about my "extremely large AN" (4 cm) I was directed here by my surgeon and it was such a comfort to be able to come here with ANY questions I had.  Two years post op now...I still come here alot.  So... welcome to the AN family and please know you are in my prayers.

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:39:52 am »
Hi John,
Welcome to the forum :) I didn't have the eye pain, but wanted to welcome you.

How big is your AN, and when is your surgery scheduled?

It is weird how everyone has different symptoms that lead them to the doctor where they finally get diagnosed.
 I would think that the eye pain would go away after surgery, since that pressure will be relieved, but the only way to really know is to have the surgery.

Please let us know more specifics and we'll be here for you :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:58:24 am »
Hi John.

You are unfortunate to feel pain in connection with your AN. I hope this will be relieved through surgery.

Best regards, Kenneth

lauralynn

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 12:18:43 pm »
Hello John,

Was wondering how you are doing?  Have you been able to get help with your pain?  Any updates from your doctor?  I will continue to pray for you.

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone