Author Topic: I have a date!  (Read 7441 times)

mk

I have a date!
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »
After spending the entire day today in front of my e-mail waiting for the neurosurgeon's response on my recent MRI scan, I got a phone call from his secretary. They have a surgery date for me, on April 26th. It couldn't come soon enough, I am very relieved. Now I have a definite timeline to get ready and to have family fly from overseas to help. I really look forward to be done with this once and for all.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: I have a date!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »
Woohooo! Congrats Marianna!! I bet that feels great, doesn't it?  Now all you have to do is just sit back and go along for the ride, because you ain't drivin' no more!  ;)  Seriously though, I know you know the drill by now, so I really hope this feels good for you and that you'll be over this in no time! Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »
Marianna ~

Congratulations!  3 weeks will fly by and you'll be past this experience before you know it.  We wish you a fantastically successful surgery and we'll be here to encourage and support you all the way.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mark241

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »
Great attitude!! Best of luck!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:21:57 pm »
Good news for you, and a relief to have a date set.
Now just emphasize  getting your body in shape if you can, eating well, all that good stuff. And treat yourself to stuff!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

MARAKI

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:34 am »
That's wonderful Marianna! The time will past very soon until that date and after surgery you will start to be better and better day after day! Because 2after 26 of April you will be healthy! My thoughts are with you!

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:46:42 pm »
Best of luck! Keep us posted!
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

mk

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:50 pm »
Thank you all. I have already started the travel preparations and organizing everything.

Maureen you are so right that I should take good care of myself. However I find it very hard to do that. I am not scared about the surgery at all, on the contrary I look forward to it. But given all the stress that I have gone through the last few months, I find it very hard to settle and I have trouble sleeping and eating. Especially after that hydrocephalus scare last week (see my other thread), which left me sleepless for two nights.
I know that I must combat this anxiety - I am seeing my GP next week and I will talk to him about it.

On the bright side, I will be going to Vancouver one week before the surgery for all the pre-op appointments, so I hope that I will be able to wind down a bit - it is a lovely city with lots to do.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

moe

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:36:25 am »
Sorry about all those stressors, but still pamper yourself whenever possible ok?? Soak in a tub, eat a bite or two of chocolate... ;D
Vancouver= lovely things to do=shopping or whatever!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »
Marianna .....

Looks like you and I started on this journey about the same time ..... three years ago ..... you with GK and me with surgery.  Now, here we are, continuing a parallel path.  Your surgery is April 26th, mine May 11th.  Whew!  Didn't know we were in for such a bumpy ride ..... but I have confidence we will both have excellent results this time and can get on with our lives.

Hang in there, Girl ..... we'll make it hand in hand (cyberly speaking  ;D).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »
Hi Clarice,

and one more common thing is that this time we are seeking treatment further away. I know that you have done your research and you will be in the best hands. I read your post in your thread, and I feel exactly the same - can't wait to get on that flight.
I really hope that we will both leave this behind soon. I will be thinking about you.

Marianna

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:30 am »
Clarice and Marianna - you both have loads of heroism in you.  I love reading what you have had to say on this thread and wonder if we were all meant to meet like this just so we can conquer what's been put upon us.

Marianna - have you ever had camomile tea to soothe your nerves?  I can't sleep without it now  :)

Good luck to you both over the next few weeks.  We're here if you need us.

Warmest wishes,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Keeping Up

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »
Good luck MK

I will be thinking of you - you have done so much research, and seem very confident in your choice, well done.

I will walk the same path as you someday (however, hopefully with a much much small tumor!).  I hope I can do it equally with as much poise and determination.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

valerie_g

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 06:26:07 am »
Marianna I'm so glad you have found a great doctor in BC! I will be thinking about you on your surgery date. If you don't mind keep your notes on doctors in Ontario if anybody need them here....I'm sure you have done an excellent job on the research part!

Valérie
March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

ibelieve2

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 10:23:21 am »
Marianna,

You have a great attitude.  I am also a newbie, where are you having your surgery and the name of the Doctor.  Best of Luck to You and its great to have a support system.

Denise
ibelieve2.denise@gmail.com