Author Topic: Surgery after failed gamma knife?  (Read 3429 times)

srsly810

Surgery after failed gamma knife?
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
Allan had gamma knife 3 years ago and the schwannoma is growing again which is why he's having surgery on May 6th.   Anyone else have surgery after gamma knife that could share their post op experience with us?  Hearing? Facial nerve? Recovery? etc?

Thanks in advance,
Star

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Surgery after failed gamma knife?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:04:02 am »
No experience here, but you are in my prayers tonight.

mk

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:48 pm »
I am on the same boat as you, after failed GK. I haven't had surgery yet, it is scheduled for the end of April.
I recall a few cases on the forum who had surgery after failed CK or GK. Overall it seems to me that the odds for a good outcome are similar as with the regular AN surgeries.
I consulted with many neurosurgeons. 5 out of 6 told me that in their experience surgery after GK is not necessarily more difficult. Sometimes the tumor might be stickier sometimes not. Sometimes radiated tumors are less vascular, which is an advantage. One doctor told me that there is somewhat increased risk of CSF leak, due to scar tissue. And 1 out of 6 told me that the chances of facial paralysis with a radiated tumor is 100%.
I read an article published by the House on the issue (I wish I could find it). They warn in the article that surgery can be more difficult for radiated tumors, but their stats didn't show any statistically significant difference.
So go figure. It seems that the outcome is as unpredictable as in the rest of the cases.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Goldie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:54:40 pm »
Hi, Star.  I had a failed gamma knife and later had translab surgery when my AN was obviously growing again.  After surgery, I did lose my hearing on the right because they cut the nerve with translab, but I had very little left by the time I had the surgery so it wasn't all that much different post surgery (although I have since gotten a BAHA and love it!).  They were able to preserve my facial nerve which was really unexpected.  I had been having facial spasms before the surgery, so we knew the nerve was involved.  They did leave a tiny, tiny bit of tumor on the facial nerve in trying to save it.  I'm not due for a recheck MRI until early 2012, but I assume all is well.  My recovery went well, no worse than anyone else having surgery.

My neurosurgeon did tell me in advance that it is a more difficult surgery if you have had the GK because of the stickiness, but in my case the surgery was shorter than they expected--6 hrs instead of 8--and I had an excellent result.  Everyone's AN is different, but I just want to encourage you that it's possible Allan can still have a good result.  Best wishes to you both!

Denise D.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:53:15 pm by Goldie »
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.