Author Topic: Update on ChristineH...she is doing great!  (Read 5716 times)

lauralynn

Update on ChristineH...she is doing great!
« on: April 10, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I spoke with Christine's sister today who said that Christine is doing great!  Her surgery was around 10 hours long.  They had to leave a tiny bit of the AN due to it was on her facial nerve.  They tried their hardest to get all of it but it sounds like they got most of it because the MRI that was done didn't even show the remaining of the AN.  She is experiencing headaches but her pain medication has been cut back.  She is currently still in ICU but was able to sit in a chair...awesome!  ;D She even has eaten food...what a trooper!  Her sister said the difference from yesterday and today is REMARKABLE!  They expect her to be transferred from ICU to a regular room today or tomorrow.  She doesn't show any signs of facial weakness...I'm so happy for her!!!  She was a little nauseous but that has subsided.  Christine says that her ear on the AN side (when people are talking) sounds like pots and pans banging together.  The nurses have been told of this and they are going to be sure to give this information to her doctors. I hope to go visit her tomorrow...can't wait to see my AN sister!  I will post additional updates as they come.

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Kaybo

Re: Update on ChristineH...she is doing great!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »
GREAT NEWS!  I have been wondering how she was doing!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »
Always good to read such positive news....thanks for the update!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:29:38 pm »
Thanks for the update! I'll be keeping her in my thoughts!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »
Laura Lynn .....

Thanks for letting us know about Christine.  So glad she is showing rapid progress.  The worst is behind her now and it is on with the healing process.  Tell her she has been and continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:47:22 pm »
That is great news!

Let her know we're all thinking of her and thanks for keeping us in the loop!  What a good AN friend you are!   :)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:49:13 am »
Thanks for the great news.  It's going to be wonderful having Christine here soon and being able to update us herself.  With a friend like you around her she is sure to recover fast.

Hugs to you both,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

moe

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:25 pm »
Thanks for the news of a successful surgery. ;D Gentle hugs from all of us. We are cheering her on for a nice, slow, unremarkable recovery. :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

rayden1

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:49 pm »
Hi Laura Lynn

Thanks for update on Christine. All sounds good to me. Am delighted all going well.

Ann x

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:31 pm »
Laura Lynn ~

What a splendid report on Christine H.!  I'm delighted to learn about her successful surgery.  If Christine is eating and sitting up already, the outlook for a continuing good recovery seem excellent!  Thanks for the update....it made my day  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:09 pm »
Great news! onward to a speedy recovery. Best wishes, Mickey

rayden1

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 02:10:58 pm »
Hi Laura Lynn

How are you and Christine now ?

Ann x

lauralynn

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:59:30 am »
Hello Ann,

As far as I know Christine was to go home this past Wednesday...she had a minor episode Tuesday so they kept her another night.  I got her message via text so I'm not sure if she actually passed out or felt she was going to.  For that reason she was not able to go home Tuesday which I know she really wanted to.  I have not heard from her since Tuesday....hoping to hear something this weekend.  As soon as I hear from her I will let you know for sure.

As for me...I'm doing alright.  Had one of my monster headaches this past Wednesday.  So fortunate to not be working now because my attendance probably would have gotten me fired.  After taking some pain meds, putting an ice pack on my head and a very long nap my headache subsided...thank God.  I called Mayo Clinic yesterday to request an appointment...just getting nowhere with my doctors.  My neurosurgeon keeps prescribing this and that and after almost passing out from taking Amitripyline...I'm scared to try anything new.  My pcp is trying Vitamin B shots once a week for a month.  I just had my second one yesterday...still feel just as tired.  I'm also waiting to get my employer's decision on my disability case.  They denied it and I appealed...should find out this month.  It's stressful because I'm trying to focus on my health yet bills are falling behind.  I'm doing my best to stay positive. 

I will keep you posted on both Christine and I.  Thank you so much for checking on us  ;D

Love,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

moe

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:50:02 am »
Laura Lynn,
Thanks for the update on Christine. Hopefully she is home now recovering.

And bless YOU for being there for her, amidst all you are going through.

Staying POS is hard work, so keep truckn, and don't give up on your employer's decision for disability. It is that hidden disability that no one can see. If you were walking with a limp they'd be more inclined to give it to you!
There is a book that has been talked about,

"Living Well with a Hidden Disability" by Stacy Taylor.

I'm hoping to read it someday :P Lots of people on the forum have read it.

Hang tough ;)
Maureen
Sorry for the hijack!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:55:14 am by moe »
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »
Laura Lynn ~

Thanks for the news about Christine H.  Like you. I hope she'll be home this weekend.  We always recover better at home but if she has any medical problems, the hospital is the best place to be.

I'm sorry to learn about your latest bout with headache.  That you're struggling with your employer for disability is certainly a drag on both your attitude as well as your finances.  My wife went through something similar following debilitating (but invisible) spinal problems she encountered as the result of being rear-ended (at high speed) in an auto accident.  She was eventually granted long-term disability benefits (70% of her former salary) along with Social Security disability benefits (deducted from the company disability payments) but it took over two years to get it all approved and an attorney was involved (for the SS portion).  I hope you'll have an easier time getting disability benefits you clearly are entitled to. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.