Author Topic: big bike ride events this weekend  (Read 2390 times)

Keri

big bike ride events this weekend
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:23:14 pm »
Hello,
I guess this goes in the 'there is life after AN/please pray/ and 'general info' categories.

I've been biking more lately and have really been enjoying it. My friend (Iraq and Afg war vet) told me he was riding in a 'support our troops/military and wounded warrior' ride this coming weekend. Initially, I signed up to volunteer, but then my husband and I just signed up to do the ride. My husband has biked a lot more than me, and my longest ride to date is 40 miles, but I'm in pretty good shape from my slow marathons and running so I thought I'd give it a go. Our son is currently deployed in Afghanistan with USAF security forces and it just meant a lot to us to do the ride NOW, while he's there. It makes us feel more a part of things.

The ride will start in DC with about 500 cyclists, about 1/5 who are wounded warriors. We'll travel 65 miles day one to Frederick, MD. Day 2 we'll travel 45 miles to Gettysburg. It is not a race; we will all stick together. The able cyclists will help those in wheelchairs that need a little extra oomph up some of the hills. It's a team work kind of thing (i'll probably need help up the hills too)!
Saturday we're supposed to be riding in rain and maybe even thunderstorms (joy joy). I've never ridden so far and never ridden in the rain. I'm a bit nervous, but excited about the whole thing too!

Patrick (Texsooner) will also be on a long 2 day ride in Texas to benefit MS research. His ride is 170 miles from Houston to Austin. I hope they have good weather.

So, please keep us all in your prayers, for safety and good companionship, etc. Both causes are meaningful to me, as my mom has MS. So I wish Patrick and his team the best of luck and good riding.

Thank you, everone, for all your support,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: big bike ride events this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »
Keri ~

Kudos to you (and your husband) for choosing to participate in a long bike ride based on supporting our military and our 'wounded warriors'.  I can't think of a better reason to face rain, thunderstorms and tired muscles.  When you get weary (and I'm sure you will) just think of your son and the other military people serving in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and even Libya who would probably consider a 100+-mile bike ride as a day off.  Although I'm long past engaging in this kind of strenuous activity, I admire and congratulate those, like you and your husband and all the other participants, that take the time and effort to ride in recognition of our men and women serving their country in the armed services.    You'll all be in my prayers for a safe and rewarding ride. 

My best wishes to Patrick, too, as he embarks on his 170-mile, two-day ride to benefit MS research.  We have a good friend who suffers from MS (wheelchair-bound) so I doubly appreciate Patrick's efforts and hope that all goes well for him, including the weather.  Another biking marathoner in my prayers. God bless all of you folks riding for a worthy cause this weekend.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:43:36 pm »
Hey Keri,  Hope all is going well for you today and of course for tomorrow as well.  I remember how I felt after a 30 mile ride, can't imagine how you will feel doing twice that.  I know you will be thinking of your son when the going gets tough.  He will be/is proud of both you and your husband for doing this.  Hope to hear all went well for the wounded warriors, my son has donated money to there cause and will continue to do so. 

Hope all is going well for you to Patrick.  My dad's significant others daughter has MS, has been in a nursing home for over 20 years so it's always good to hear that there are people out there raising money for MS.

Looking forward to hearing from both of you when you have the energy to post.  Take Care, Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:15:38 pm »
Well, I know Keri made it on her ride as I received an email from her early in the week. They experienced some rain on the ride, but sounds like it was very successful and it was definitely for a great cause (Wounded Warriors). I'm sure she'll be on here to give you a recap.

There's definitely life after AN as Keri put it. I just finished my 3rd MS150 bike event last weekend since my AN surgery in Aug 2008.

We did have a very successful ride and fundraising effort for the MS150 bike ride. The ride was about 170 miles mostly on the back roads between Houston and Austin. The weather was actually pretty good for us this year. Aside from being a physical challenge, the most important thing is that we raised a ton of money for the MS Society. I've gotten to know personally several folks with MS (and there are actually a few folks on the AN forum who either have MS or a relative with MS) and it keeps me committed to helping out where I can, and it also gives me a reason to train for this special event. For part of this ride this year, I rode with a 20 year old kid that has MS. It was his first and while not easy, he did great and finished the whole route. We are very proud of him.

For any interested, here's a link to my MS150 page.
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?px=5154996&pg=personal&fr_id=15941&et=hxdSyOVznlQi4qRzNPkqGw..&s_tafId=163175

We are also still accepting donations for any that would like to show support. Thanks for the AN folks who already did....you know who you are, and I appreciate it very much. Also for anyone interested, I sent a detailed recap of the ride with several photos for my donors and would be happy to forward on as applicable.  

As always thanks to the wonderful support of you folks here.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:02:17 am »
hello,
i've not been around much lately due to being a church music person who has been super busy ever since the bike ride weekend. but now things are slowing down a bit.

congrats to patrick on his great ride for MS in Texas.

our ride was cut short by 20 miles on day 1 because of severe thunderstorms. day two was a much more lovely day, with lots of sun but lots of wind and it was chilly. still, it was so nice to finish in gettysburg. it was a privilege to ride with so many military and wounded warriors. i hope to do the ride again next year.

since the completion of our ride (put on by World Team Sports called "Face of America") the same group organized a wounded warrior ride in Texas with President Bush. THey also have a coast to coast ride in the summer. it's amazing to see the spirit and strength of those wounded who are not disabled at all.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!