Author Topic: Possible AN Scared!  (Read 10907 times)

nini

Possible AN Scared!
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:06:21 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I hope you'll are fine. I'm very new to this forum and I'm very happy such a forum exists. I'm scheduled for an MRI tomorrow and I'm very anxious about it. I just want to talk to some of you so that I don't faint tomorrow when I hear the result. The truth is I've had hearing loss and a constant tinnitus for the past 6 years. My ABR was negative so I was told just go and have fun! Now after about 4 years of that time my doctor said you are probably a classic case of AN. I'm a little bit angry at myself because I didn't ask for an MRI myself and didn't do the research I had too. I was just too busy with life. Now I'm afraid after these 6 years the tumor has become so big that I can't have surgery without complications. I just don't want half of my face to be paralysed. I know I should be stronger but I'm just so lonely. I'm actually much more afraid that the tumor is a Hemangioma and non-operable. I know death comes for everyone and I know I have to accept it but I'm just not that ready and strong yet. I appreciate your support  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:21:42 pm by nini »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Possible AN Scared!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:14:58 pm »
Nini -

I can totally understand your feelings, but take a step back and breathe deeply.  You are getting ahead of yourself.

Until you know for certain what your MRI results are, you may be worrying needlessly.  Even if your MRI does show an AN, it may be small enough that radiation is an option as well as surgery.  Sometimes large ANs cause small symptoms and sometimes small ANs cause big symptoms.  In addition, tinnitus doesn't guarantee an AN - lots of people who have tinnitus don't have ANs and there are some of us who had ANs but not tinnitus.  Hearing loss can also be caused by many things other than an AN.

I hope that your MRI tomorrow will be "clean", but if you do happen to have an AN, we are all here for you and we'll get you through this.

Please keep us updated.

Prays,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nini

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »
Thank you so much Jan for your support. The thing is I'm trying to get ready. Actually I have more symptoms that just hearing loss or tinnitus. My ear pops out when I speak which I think is pretty much specific for AN (Ear Pressure). It really gives me hope that you are doing well. I hope my result is not worse than AN. :)

Best of luck to you,

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »
nini .....

Should have looked at this first ...... I posted a reply to you on the other thread.

Many thoughts and prayers for peace and calm for you today and tomorrow.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nini

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:59:58 pm »
Thank you so much Clarice for answering. I read the other forum( I shouldn't have posted in the other forum sorry). I feel much better from yesterday:) I couldn't believe I'd get so much support here  :) Knowing you all are doing so well gives me so much hope for tomorrow. About the contrast I don't know what to so. My friend's husband is conducting a research on Gadolinium and he told me today ask not to have it! He said probably (since they aren't done) it wouldn't leave the body for many years and has lots of side effects. He is a pharmacologist so he wouldn't care what the result of your MRI is! And the doctors most probably don't care what the side effects are. In the morning I decided not to have it with contrast. Now that I'm reading more about the cases that haven't been shown without the contrast I don't know what to do. I think I'd do whatever the radiologist recommends. 

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:08:04 pm »
Nini, All I can say say is that I have been having MRI's for 10 yrs now with no side efrects that I know of.     If one really checks any drug or IV dye can have side effects for someone with long range bad results.     One does have to watch if they have kidney disease and any more there are some labs which are checked ahead  esp if one has kidney issues or is older or diabetic for the gadolinium to be given.        So the decision is up to you and your dr.                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nini

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:13:45 pm »
Thank you Cheryl for your reply. Actually I'm not in a situation to decide I think. I'd do whatever I'm told. I'm glad you are not experiencing any side effects. I don't have any of the problems mentioned so at least I think I wouldn't have any problem in the near future. I'm sure about the long term effects. My most important problem right now is having a heart attack when I hear the result :(. (Just kidding)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:30:31 pm by nini »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »
Nini -

gadolinium can be a problem - in large doses or if you have kidney problems.

These days most hospitals/docs make the patient have blood tests (BUN & creatinine) before MRIs with gadolinium to look for kidney problems.

Check with your doctor.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nini

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »
Jan,

I wasn't asked to have any blood test. The doctor only asked me if I'm taking any medications and that was it. I don't think I have any kidney problems though. I even don't know if my MRI is contrasted or not. At that time I really didn't know anything about the dye to ask about it. To be honest I'm more concerned with the results and from reading the posts on this forum I think I really need a contrasted MRI.

moe

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:55:50 am »
Nini,
Thinking of you as you have your MRI and hoping it is NOT an AN, but if it IS, we are here for you.

Many people are convinced they have an AN and practically have a surgeon lined up, only to find out that that is not the case.

So just stay busy until you find out the results. My AN was slow and sneaky over who knows how many years, so yes I had some facial nerve complications, but life is good  :) and I have movement to the paralyzed side from my surgery last May.

Keep posting. It is good therapy to vent your feelings, frustrations, fears. We ALL can understand!
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nini

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:30:19 am »
Thanks Maureen :). I have my MRI in several hours and I'm dying. I'd definitely keep you posted.

nini

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
I just got my MRI. My results would be ready tomorrow but the radiologist said he didn't find any abnormality.  :) I'm really happy. The first 20 minutes was without contrast and then they injected the dye and the next 10 minutes or so was with contrast. I don't think there is a possibility that he has missed a small tumor since I have the symptoms for 6 years.

I wish you all do well. I was just not as strong as you all to go through all this.

Thank you Maureen, Jan, Cheryl, Clarice  :-* for supporting me. I felt so bad yesterday.

Now I should wait and see what forum I have to join. ???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 06:35:53 pm »
Nini -

glad you got through your MRI, and while I'm glad you don't have an AN, I wish you had some idea of what is causing your symptoms.

You are more than welcome to keep joining us here; AN or not.

Best,

Jan

nini

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:51:10 pm »

Jan,

To be honest I don't have any idea what's the problem. The first doctor told me I have meniere's by only seeing my hearing test. He even didn't ask for an ABR. I didn't feel any dizziness and it wasn't like I had attacks , I just had constant high pitch tinnitus. My own family doctor said the is a problem with your eustachian tube. The third one Got the ABR and since it was negative said it is probably because of stress.  ??? I'm a very stressed out person. I'm just tired of hearing the tinnitus. I don't even care if I don't hear with my left ear but this tinnitus is just killing me. I can't concentrate, I'm always tired. My symptoms are exactly like what people discuss on the forum. I just don't have the balance problem or facial weakness. The other thing is when I want to clean my ears I feel pain but only when touching it with a swap.
 I'm clueless at this point. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. I'm sure he is clueless too.

Thanks,

moe

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:58 pm »
Nini,
A relief for you to know you don't have a bugger growing in your brain, but yes the big question is what is causing your symptoms?????? ???

I can totally understand the pain of tinnitus. Sometimes it is so loud, it almost hurts. I'm listening to "white noise" app on my cell phone right now with an earbun. The sound of soothing rain is trying to minimize the high pitch squeal on the AN side....it actually helps  :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty