Author Topic: Face swollen on the AN side  (Read 3264 times)

MandaPanda

Face swollen on the AN side
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:05 am »
Hi, everybody! I have my translab surgery scheduled for next Thursday, April 28th, to remove my 2.1 cm AN on the left side. We found the tumor because I have tingling and numbness on the left side of my head, face, tongue and lips. But for the past couple of days, the left side of my face is pretty swollen. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be alarmed or let one of my surgeons know? If it's no big deal, don't want to bug those brilliant men that will see me in 6 days! Thank you, and joyous Easter to you all!

Amanda

ombrerose4

Re: Face swollen on the AN side
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:56 am »
I would definitely let your surgeons know about the swelling of your face. It may be completely unrelated to your AN, but it may be an infection of some kind. If it is they will probably want to put you on an antibiotic. Give them a call and let us know what they say.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:34:23 am »
Ditto ......

Amanda, you have been in my thoughts and prayers!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MandaPanda

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:30 pm »
The nurse just called me back--they're working late on Good Friday! She asked if I had any pain or fever--I don't;) She said she wasn't concerned as long as I didn't have either but to watch it over the weekend. Thanks for the push to call...I feel relieved! Don't want anything to jeopardize my surgery date! Ready to get this show on the road! Easter blessings to you all!

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »
Hi;

Um; Dacrocystitis? Does the swelling begin near the eye and extend into the cheek? I wouldn't worry about the facial swelling in regards to your AN.
  A Dr's call of course, but, I best not say anymore... I believe 2.0 cm is about break point for increasing complications from some AN surgeries. Translab provides an excellent facial nerve view. On occasion, they come out larger than MRI as are compressed while still in the skull. But MRI also has an inerrant error factor of + or - 2 mm.
  Gods blessings for a good outcome of your surgery, Amanda!