Author Topic: Pilots out there?  (Read 1710 times)

Smithair

Pilots out there?
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:59 pm »
I had my AN surgery Feb 3rd.  I'm a private pilot and anxious to get back flying.  Balance is a daily challenge but the chronic fatigue is wearing on me.  I'm tired of feeling tired. I'm back to work but only make it to the office about 2 to 3 days a week rest of the time I work from home.  Does this get better?  The more fatigued I become the worse the balance becomes. Any coping strategies?  And any pilots out there who are back flying? 
3 cm AN. Translab Feb 2011 House Clinic. Brackman. SSD. Ongoing balance issues  Soundbite Feb 2012 Private pilot returned to flying Jan 2012

Kaybo

Re: Pilots out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:09:31 pm »
I'm not a pilot but I have been around a long time (15 years) after surgery. It does get better & more than anything, you learn how to schedule things better to fix YOU!!   You ate still in the early days of truly recovering...listen to your body!  Don't be afraid to build a little nap into your schedule...it'll just kind of go away when/if you don't need it anymore!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »
Smithaire ~

Kay is correct.  AN surgery is debilitating and the body takes quite awhile to fully recover.  I'm talking months, not weeks.  I was 63 at the time of my surgery but in otherwise good health.  I had an uncomplicated surgery and no post-op issues.  At 3 months post-op (where you are, now) I experienced some mild fatigue but thought I was fully recovered.  However, it was almost a full year before I realized that now I was fully recovered.  I still have some mild fatigue, but I'm in my late sixties and I attribute it more to that reality than my AN surgery.  In AN surgery (and radiation) recovery, time is your friend.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kareno

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:58 am »
My husband had retrosigmoid surgery one year ago for a 3CM AN Dr Heilman Tufts Boston.  He had one complication which was an allergic reaction to steroids. No balance issues but does have SSD.  One of his major complaints was the constant fatigue including body aches, arms,  legs and feet. he continues to be very forgetful. I finally see after one year that the fatigue is much better and he is not complaining of the aches and pains as often.  Each month I noticed a little increase in stamina. Take it day by day.  I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon