Author Topic: Tinnitus survey  (Read 2957 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Tinnitus survey
« on: May 12, 2005, 06:00:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

Tinnutis is a symptom that affects most patients with AN.  A survey has been started to compile some data. Please go to this link.

http://www.anworld.com/tinnitus-questionnaire/

Once we have sufficient data, we will compile the answers and publish the results on the ANworld.com site.  We will also discuss the subject on the acoustic neuroma support mailing list. You can join the support and information mailing list at http://www.anworld.com/mailinglist/

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

sdinapoli

Re: Tinnitus survey
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 02:44:35 pm »
Wasn't aware of this survey until today. It's probably way too late but I will check it out. Tinnitus is something I had prior to my AN surgery and is something I still suffer from daily. Most days are not too bad although there were definitely bad days. Many months ago when I was going through different recovery phases I was taking an anti-depressant (Adavant). I noticed that while I was taking this drug my tinnitus really flared up to the point where it was making even more depressed and somewhat sick. I started taking Adavant following some advice from others on how wonderful it was and how great it makes you feel. Some even said that they lost weight (woo hoo!) I've noticed quite the opposite. Please know that this is obviously my opinion. I looked up some information over the internet regarding tinnitus and it mentions that anti-depressant drugs are suspected to cause tinnitus to worsen. I am no longer on any medication and feel much better. Maybe others are currently on or may be looking into anti-depressant medicine so if you currently suffer from tinnitus then you may want to speak with your doctor first. It sort of becomes a trade off. It is amazing that there isn't any medicine out there to lessen or eliminate tinnitus. Also, I cannot understand why many fellow AN'ers have tinnitus while others do not...even after treatment. Maybe someone can clarify this for me???

sdinapoli

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:29:14 pm »
I just wanted to correct myself about the previous mentioned medication in my last post. I was taking Lexapro the and not Ativan.

russ

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:46:20 am »
Hi
 You wrote"I cannot understand why many fellow AN'ers have tinnitus while others do not...even after treatment."
  I wasn't aware this was the case and believe most to all with a hearing loss of any degree have tinnitus. Even those who are post op with a severed 8th cranial nerve. The brain seeks a perfect signal from the ear.
  Re: The med, an antidepressant, acts as a brain stimulant by increasing it's serotonin level, thusly, increased tinnitus. Similar principle of brain synapse excitation with coffee, colas, chocolate, Nutrasweet ( aspartame ), others.
  I'm glad you're feeling better tinnitus wise but hopefully don't suffer depression.
  Best wishes to you!
  Russ