Author Topic: Post op normality. part 2  (Read 1695 times)

Cheryl R

Post op normality. part 2
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:12 pm »
Pruneface, I am making this a new topic to answer your question as there was added wording about the forum added to your post.
    My answer is you are not looking thru rose colored glasses!       Yes there is a normal life again.     For some of us there may be a few adjustments.     I am NF2 with 4 surgeries and 3 tumors.  I did retire from work due to no balance nerves but it was after my 4th surgery and my age and the time of working allowed me to retire.       I can babysit my grandkids, go shopping unless there is too much snow ir ice out.      I put up with the one sided deafness and can be a problem at times but one adjusts or can get some help via a BAHA or try a hearing aid.          I've been out lately buying my flowers to get ready for outside.    Mine are mostly in pots now as flower beds are a bit harder for me but I won't give my flowers up.       I am on the computer way too much.        I will be going to the 5th symposium here soon plus some sight seeing in Ohio after.          My biggest slowdown for my own situitation is having problems with walking all day outside due to my balance issues.     When I had only lost one nerve did not have such an issue.    We stayed at our state fair all day.    Now half a day tires me out.         I have been thru facial paralysis more than once.  My face is not perfect but looks ok at rest and for me that will do.     I get by with a closed mouth smile.      I now have got to know many many ANers and most you can not tell they have or have had one.                 The forum has what seems like lots of people with problems.     Many many do fine past surgery and are gone from here.          So hang in there and know for a time you will be slowed down and you will know when life is getting back to what you want it to be.        One can't push themselves too fast post op just to prove that you will have a life as it does get better.           We can help if there is need for having to decide about what to do to help a possible issue.                Ask us all the questions you want and write too if you feel scared as we know that feeling too.                  I wish you well and hope for a good surgery!                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post op normality. part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:49:26 am »
I echo Cheryl's comments.

There is life after an AN.  I personally can't do anything now that I couldn't do before my surgery - except hear out of my left ear and run on a threadmill (go figure).

Nothing wrong with being positive and having a good attitude; that will help you in the long run.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Post op normality. part 2
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:09 am »
Attitude can help a lot. It was a year yesterday that I returned to work after three months of post-op R&R. Am I close to back to where I was?

Actually, I am better than I was in the year post-op. It is clear to me that the severe compression of my brainstem was compromising my health and fitness. I can run, I can hike, and perhaps more importantly right now, I can actually work 17 hour days again...have not been able to do that for years.

I am not yet convinced that is my favorite aspect of recovery.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.