Author Topic: it does get a little better  (Read 3827 times)

kim508

it does get a little better
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:10:15 pm »
I had my acustic neroma surgery Feb 4, 2010. This was my sping brake of my senior year of college. I then graduated college with not wanting to take one picture cause I have facial paralysis on my left side and no hearing as well. I proceeded to get a 7-12 and a cross facial nerve graff on November 16, 2010. I am not droppy any more!! and have very little movement. I still have to get the secound part of my sergery and still have the gold weight. During all this my parents ensurance ended and I had to get my own which is hard when I just graduated college and trying to pass my certification and then look for a job. I pass my certification and went on job interviews with  just my right side of my face moving and with surprise I got offered 3 difference jobs. I am starting a paid intern in August with HEALTH insurance! And am just staying saying this because being 21 and having your life turn around with an 12 hour surgery is hard..but I still cant smile but I am happy..I feel like have grown and really accept my self and can really do anything. There were days and I still have days that I think its unfair that I am trying to make a life for myself and have fun and be 23 but I find myself worriing about medical bills, insurance, eye dryness, going to 2 appointments at let every week, and never feeling like a guy will call be beautiful...but there are days that I know Im lucky and I can run, work, have friends.

JUst remeber it may not get better soon but it will get better and keep battling your storm. :) and smile on the inside

Cindyswart

Re: it does get a little better
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »
Kim, your story is a true inspiration!! I am 51 and just diagnosed, my surgery will be around October. I am a little ashamed of myself for so much worry about possible facial paralysis after reading your story. You are just starting out and look at all that you have accomplished. You should have no problem succeeding in what you attempt because of the wonderful attitude that you have. Good luck and I wish you many blessings on your journey, you have inspired me!

Cindy
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:06 pm »
Hi, Kim ~

Thank you for posting a very moving message that will help other post-op AN patients understand that things never remain the same and that, as you stated, "it does get a little better'.  Never fast enough...but it does.  I'm delighted to learn that you're employed and moving ahead in your life.  I know that bills can be a burden but as someone much older than you, I can tell you that you'll always have bills (of some kind) to pay.  That doesn't change.  As for not being admired by a guy, don't lose too much sleep over that.  Although some guys are shallow and only see the physical part of you, some are better than that.  They'll also 'see' your character and personality.  I 'met' my wife by having long, intense telephone conversations for 2 months (I was a bored all-night D.J. and she had insomnia).  I soon realized that she was a very special person and when we finally met, she looked beautiful to me.  She still does. This year we'll celebrate our 41st wedding anniversary.  So, although your face may not always respond the way you want it to, remember that things DO get better.  There is a big world waiting for you out there and all you have to do is be open to it.  From what you posted, I think you are.  I sense that you have a good attitude and I'm sure you'lll enjoy a very rewarding life.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:12 pm »
Hey Kim~

I'm here to tell you that it DOES keep getting better!!  I think ATTITUDE plays a huge role in whatever you do (second only to a strong faith - in something) and it sounds like you have a good one - sense of humor is huge too.  I see so much of my same story in yours - I was 25 when I had my AN surgery.  I am 41 now and have gone on to have 3 beautiful girlies and a wonderful life.  Are you familiar with Bruno Mars?  I just love his song that the chorus says, "Your amazing, just the way you are!"  Always keep that in mind an keep smiling and laughing in your heart and it will shine through in everything that you do!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »
 :) Cheese  :)

Best of luck on the new job!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:27:28 pm »
Hi Kim,  I feel so much of what you're going through - I'm 55 y/o & have had facial paralysis since age 50. You, my dear, are dealing with it at a much younger age.  I can't imagine how hard it is for you, yet I feel your strength in what you are going through.
 Almost 1 1/2 years post op I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland, & had the T3 done (Temporalis Tendon Transfer), November 20, 2007, by Dr. Patrick Byrne.The procedure has improved & you may want to send him an email with your picture. (You can look at his before/after pictures - I'm the 2nd picture in his 'facial animation' pictures).  His work is amazing.  (He also does alot of Humanitarian work around the world). 
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jessica000

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:53 am »
Hi Kim,

I am so glad to hear your progress. Emailed you some time ago, not sure if you received it.

We are of the same age...I truly understand how you feel. I am graduating soon too and my granny doesn't know my condition. She has been waiting to take photos with me. I have no idea how to pull through that. All I wish for is recovery as soon as possible..

For me, I have recovered to grade 3 on the paralysis scale. My eyes are doing the best...it looks completely normal, just weak, but functioning decently. My eyebrows are still not moving...but I guess that part takes longer. My mouth gets stronger, I can puff up my cheeks a little, suck in my cheeks and talk clearly (though my upper lips still couldnt lift up completely). It's sad though that on photos, I still look bad. I have no idea why photos always look so bad compared to what I see on the mirror =(

I am 2 months to 1 yr post op. I think that the climb from grade 3 to 2 or 1 will be really tough...but every effort counts. I've been doing physiotherapy on my own, heat pack to soothe the muscles and regular acupuncture. There's so many people here who are sweet and kind. I believe time will bring us hope and miracle. =)

kim508

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:59:44 pm »
Jess...i did not get ur message. Sorry but I glad u r doing so well. And congrats on graduating.
I have very slight movment..mostly just tone..but I do it with my toung..cause there wasnt much of a chance my nerve coming back.but it was good to here from you

And for everyone else thank you I am just trying to do the best I can..i just wish I could go on a date like I use to but im happpy with my life