Author Topic: I am back, somewhat  (Read 11960 times)

RichB57

Re: I am back, somewhat
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:12 am »
Hi Rivergirl,

I had my AN removed at Mass General on April 20 and just got back to work yesterday.  I was starting to worry when I was not really seeing much improvement in my head feeling like I was in a complete fog at about 4 weeks post-op, but things got better.  Getting out and walking in my neighborhood really helped.  I always seemed to feel better late in the day when I had gone for walks, than on days that I didn't walk.  Hang in there, things will improve! :)
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »
Enjoy the rehab! I looked forward to it and learned a lot about how my eyes are KEY to my balancing. Rest is big-time important, but go to the PT and it will help you get back on your feet full time...then you can  rest. Recover is a LONG term process, so don't look for rapid improvement. You just have to keep after it!

James

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »
Hey Rivergirl,
Congrats on being a postie! Go easy on yourself and please don't over do. Thing do get better with time… including the taste buds. Patience is the key word here! So… rest, sleep, VPT, rest and sleep some more!

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

LisaP

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »
Hi Cindy,

I try to keep checking in to see how you are doing.  Hope therapy goes well. Take it day by day and keep posting and leting us know how your progress is going.  I bet you are glad that the surgery is over.  Where you pleased with Dr. McKenna and the care you had at Mass General?

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »
McKenna and Martusa were very good, their bedside manner was excellent, they came by everyday and they were encouraging and concerned about any complaints.  I had one intern that was amazing, he actually was responsible for getting me moving otherwise I think I would still be there.  Couldn't have asked for better care.  Just wish i was all recovered, have a dam hematoma on my incision since surgery that is painful and extremely slow to resolve and I have a numb left side torso that also causes back spasms otherwise I would be great.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

MZB475

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:31 pm »
just finding out about your surgery...am the Greater Boston support group "den mother" (the Lisa P of Boston).  Wishing you daily recovery and good health. keep up the great spirit! Prayers and hope. Laura B
Laura B
Diagnosed 2008
Wait and Watch--blessed to have this gift :)

moe

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 11:06:27 am »
Just a friendly hi to see how your recovery is progressing.
Baby steps may still be in order. Walk as much as you can!
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

LisaP

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »
Hi,

Glad to hear that things are going ok, if I have to have surgery, I plan on going with Dr. McKenna, but if I choose radiation, I plan to have it done at BSMC in Springfield.  My next MRI is in Oct. so we will see hoping to W&W for another year.

Please write often so we all know how you are doing.

Best wishes,

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »
Still have pain along the incision and swelling that really isn't moving, hard to sleep unless on my left side, and headaches especially in the morning.  Vestibular therapy going well, I am also going to the pool a lot and working out in there.  I have this weird other thing, my left back torso has been numb since surgery, seriously you could take my kidney out and I would not feel it.  Well now along with the numbness, it feels the nerve endings are raw, even clothing  causes pain, I may go see my PCP just to see what he thinks.  I did some research on line and this happens after surgery and may not ever come back, it would suck if it stayed like this.  Otherwise half of my days are good so guess that is progress.  Enough complaining from me today.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!

ombrerose4

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:42 am »
You just had surgery, so feel free to complain as much as you want! As you know we all heal differently, but it sounds like you are coming along. I couldn't sleep on my AN side for over 10 months. You should definitely see your PCP regarding that numbness you are having along your back. I have never heard of that in regard to surgery. The nerve pain you are describing sounds like shingles, which 3 members of my family had. Extremely painful and hard to wera clothes, just like you described. Check it out and let us know. Have a good day:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:47 pm »
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Had a nice phone call from Kathy MacDonald, she made me laugh and brightened my day :)
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!

LisaP

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »
Hi,

Sounds like things are going ok, weird about you tourso, this AN thing is baffling.  Kathy is great, she continues to W&W like me.  Hope you continue to progress, please keep updating on your progress.

LisaP
LisaP

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »
Just an update, I am going back to work on Monday, I will limit to 20 hours a week for a couple and then back to full time.  I still have swelling, numbness, and pain but McKenna says that all can take months maybe a year to settle down so I might as well heal at work.  So I hope it goes well, I know I will be tired so it won't be unexpected.  I just need to get into my routine again, think that may help a great deal.  So 5 weeks 6 days of recovery and I rejoin the world......thats not too bad.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 02:13:30 pm »
Rivergirl ~

Thanks for the update.  It's encouraging to learn that you're returning to work.  Doing so on a part-time basis as a bridge to full time seems wise and usually proves successful.  Returning to work at just under six weeks post-op is excellent.  Because you anticipate being fatigued, you can prepare for it - and work around it.  In my experience, I found that returning to familiar routines aided my feeling of regaining normalcy and encouraged me to forge ahead with my recovery.  I hope you'll have a similar experience. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »
Hi,

Good luck going back to work and god bless you on your recovery.  Let us know how you do.

LisaP ;D
LisaP