Author Topic: New Prayer Request  (Read 10289 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
New Prayer Request
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:57:35 am »
I have a friend who is an ICU nurse ... she helped me get through doctor-ease reports when I didn't understand things ... she helped me find answers using her medical resources ... she called me at the hospital  when I had Bennie evicted and told me to cry or b***h to her if I wanted to...she cheers me on when I regain things lost and kicks my butt when I get depressed over things I an no longer do and get the idea to quit  ...

just heard from her yesterday ... she has had a rough spring ... going through a divorce and has a soon to be ex- husband that is stalking her and has a restraining order on him that since they are in a rural area is about useless ... she has been working longer hours to pay for the little house in the woods she bought when she left so her country raised kids wouldn't have to move to town in an apartment ... she has one kid  home still in high school ,  one that commutes to college and one that is home during summer but is gone off to college during school year ... she was so excited about getting out of a bad situation ... like me she stayed in a bad place because she thought that the kids needed an unbroken home ...sometimes divorce fixes the home  ...she was excited to be making a new start and living without fear ...

Saturday night she had a grand mal seizure and stopped breathing  ... she was taking to local hospital and a CT scan showed a tumor deep in parietal lobe on left side of her brain ... she was transfered to a large hospital and an MRI guided biopsy was done ...it appears to be cancer ... she is suppose to know for sure today or tomorrow ...

she asked me for advice to get through this ...  all I could tell her is to keep friends close and informed , keep her kids in mind they will make her stronger , don't freak out because  it doesn't help and to roll with the punches and come up fighting ... she says being a nurse she knows too much and as an ICU she has seen the ugly side of illness ... she is scared and I am scared for her

Please add Gina to your prayers ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: New Prayer Request
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:31 am »
I will definitely keep Gina in my prayers.  She has so much on her plate right now and needs all the help she can get.  I am glad you are there for her.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:28:57 am »
You bet, Soundy. Please let Gina know that she has friends she doesn't even know praying for her and her kids.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:22 pm »
Soundy ~

Your advice to your friend was just about perfect - and she must know that you were speaking from experience and not just offering platitudes. 

It is especially rough when someone is dealing with emotional issues (divorce, stalker ex-husband) and are then hit with a serious physical challenge, too.  This one is pretty serious and your friendship will be a big help, I'm certain.  Your friend, Gina, will be in my prayers.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »
prayers on the way
jO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:07 pm »
I'm praying for Gina, too.

Although my medical crisis (thankfully) was "only" an AN, I can totally relate to the divorce-related issues  :(

Please tell Gina that we're all praying for her; maybe that might help her be a little less scared.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

RichB57

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:50:43 pm »
I'll keep her in my prayers also.  Both my sisters are divorced, so I know how that goes. Also, my wife is a nurse and they definitely know far too much, making it tough when they are the patient.
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:17 pm »
Please tell your friend to go to a major teaching hospital for any surgery she may need. If she has a glioma, she should NOT be operated on in a community hospital.  PM me if you need to know a better place to go (depending on area of country).  Been down this road with son and I believe he is alive today because he was in the hands of an excellent surgeon.  With brain cancer, time is of the essence...there is not time to research options as there is with ANs.  You need to get educated quickly.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

ombrerose4

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:40 pm »
My heart goes out to your friend and her family. She is in my prayers. Please keep us informed.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
stage 4 glioblastoma

Gina starts radiation and oral chemo on July 5th ... she was joking and cheerful sounding and got worried when I began slurring words ...told her I was fine just overwhelmed with the news ... she will be going to UA Birmingham Cancer Clinic ... her doctor specializes in brain Cancers and has a good reputation ...

the right side of my face is tingly and my mouth is not working right ... I have done this several times since my AN removal ... I think stress and something that is changed physically in my facial nerve do it ...it scared the girls when the right side of my mouth wasn't moving right ...sent them to play on the Wii ... will talk to them in a little bit ... I am so utterly gutted right now that I can't talk sensibly ... I am telling my self not to lose it now , that Gina needs me to be there for her like she was for me ...this will pass in an hour or two and I can be strong for her

Keep Gina in your prayers ... she is a person who is always the one sheering someone else on ... she is cheering for herself now but I know under her laughter and jokes she is scared ... right now I wish she were a waitress instead of ICU nurse ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:00 am »
I wish the news were better, but I'm glad that Gina has good care, as well as a good friend like you, and I will keep her and her family -- and you as well, Soundy -- in my prayers.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cin605

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:00:46 am »
Tought and Prayer
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

skipg

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:17 am »
Prayers going out now. Sounds like she has a great friend to walk with her. Tell her that God will give her the grace she needs, when she needs it, to get through this. Please keep us posted
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »
Soundy ~

Both you and your friend, Gina, will be in my prayers.  I will assume that she has a spiritual faith.  If so, this is certainly the time to lean on it.  If not, I'm sure your friendship is a comfort to her.  Either way, you're helping her and many prayers will be said for your friend. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Desilu

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 04:20:15 pm »
Hi Soundy,

Gina is Blessed to have a friend like you! Maybe it would help her somewhat to read some of our posts to her? Prayer is an awesome thing and you just can't get enough of it! Let her know that even though we don't know her personally, we still care. I will keep both of you in my prayers. God's timing is always perfect. Hang in there.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger