Author Topic: Left-handed or right handed....is there a correlation?  (Read 4785 times)

Sefra22

Left-handed or right handed....is there a correlation?
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:31:45 pm »
Today I met the neurosurgeon who will most likely remove my AN.  At one point he said (not asked) "You're left -handed". I said "Yes". He asked, "You write with your left hand?" Again I said "yes". He said, "Do you dial the phone with your left hand?", I said "Yes, I do EVERYTHING with my left hand".  I didn't think of it until much later, but does it correlate with whatever side your AN is on?  If it doesn't, why did he make such point of bringing it up? ??? Mine is on my right side by the way.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

matti

Re: Left-handed or right handed....is there a correlation?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:51:47 pm »
Interesting topic!  My surgeons asked the same questions and when I asked if there was correlation, they said they were not sure ??? 

My AN was on the left side and I am right handed. 
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Mark

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:54:09 pm »
I would guess he was just intrigued by someone who was so left hand dominant. I can't imagine any correlation between an AN on any side of the brain and motor skill tendencies such as right handed or left handed. The AN does not engage or impact the brain directly and only effects it where there is sufficient size to create compression affects. I would actually be a little nervous having a neurosurgeon operate on me who thought being left handed was associated with an AN  :o. If there is a connection then it's the first time I've ever heard it. I'm right hand dominant and my AN is on the right side.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:23:07 pm »
interesting..i'm right hand dominant and my AN was left side..I can't imgaine there would be a correlation.

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:03:11 pm »
Very right hand dominant, usually listen to phone with right ear.  AN on right side.

Interesting
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Static

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 07:42:39 pm »
I have often thought about this but always just let it go because I thought I was crazy and I think too much LOL!  I am left handed but do some things with my right hand.  I  used to always hold the phone to my right ear, which is how I found out that I was losing my hearing.  I answered the phone one day and couldn't understand and could barely hear what the person was saying to me, switched ears and could hear perfectly.  My AN was on the right side.  It's been very hard adjusting to using the left after all the years I predominantly used my right.   Does make you wonder. :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 07:47:30 pm »
Yes, interesting. Left AN, right handed however. It made it hard to work in retail, answer the phone with right hand, listen on right ear only, and try to write down message with right hand because then I have to hold the phone with left hand and turn myself into a pretzel!! 

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Static

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:55:04 pm »
Sue,  I don't know how you do it.  I could never work in retail, I can hardly hear the tv half of the time!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 08:16:42 pm »
I've yet to conquer that phone thing unless I put on my  headset! 
Definitely could not handle retail now and keep my sanity!  Heck they won't even let me back in the classroom as they aren't sure if I or the kids will survive together  LOL

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 08:24:57 pm »
interesting... definately.

Although I am ampidextrous (just like PapaPearl), I am primarily right handed, left AN.  BTW, phone ear is left ear.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 01:33:18 am »
Interesting Bruce..I noticed my handwriting deteoriating too but never thought it could be AN related.  Hmm....thoughts to ponder!

Raydean

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 04:40:57 am »
Interesting thread,  Bruce     Chet also lost his handwriting skills shortly before discovery of the tumor.
(Right side tumor with right side outcomes formerly right handed).  Over time he has taught himself to print which is readable, but the handwriting could pass as a doctor's signature. Almost nine years later he has become left hand dominate in almost anything.  Since it existed to some extent prior to surgery I've always placed it on the size and pressure from the tumor. I think after surgery it became somewhat worse, but the damage was done long before.

I've always been impressed with this portion of his AN journey and the changes he adapted to. I wonder if I could make the changes that he did, including learning to do so much with the other hand Our youngest who is predominant left handed, but can do some things right handed better  (such as toss a ball)  says she and her Dad are the only people in the family in their right minds.   (yeah right. <G>.

Have a great day everyone
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 06:52:36 am »
I am right handed, left side AN.

I used the landline phone on my left side at work, thats how i discovered my initial hearing loss. So I switched ears, and didn't have my hearing checked for another 2+ years.  Dumb move on my part  >:(
DS

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 05:51:32 pm »
Sue,  I don't know how you do it.  I could never work in retail, I can hardly hear the tv half of the time!

I don't work in retail anymore!!  The last retail job I had was in shoe sales and the lady I worked with did that and also had some houses she cleaned. Her low-cost housing finally came through in Olympia and she moved up there in June. She asked if I was interested in taking over her houses and I agreed. So now, I am cleaning three small houses and then I'm going back to the one 81 year old lady and going to do three hours a week helping her with some organizing.  So THAT's my new career!!  I was just at the Mall getting new ink for the computer and there was some poor girl in a clown outfit at the store by the ink place and her job was to shout out specials every 3 or 4 minutes!  It was highly annoying and disturbing to my ears!!  I was glad to get out of there....

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Static

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 07:02:44 pm »
Being in an environment where there is alot of background noise is extremely "painful" for me at times.  The tinnitus starts roaring and I can barely hear myself think.  It drives anyone who is near my just as crazy cuz I keep telling them to repeat themselves cuz I can't hear then I'm told that I talk too loud and to stop yelling but it sounds normal to me :/  I have to be in the right mood to do these things and to this day, my husband and kids just don't get it.  I think alot of people don't realize that this is an adjustment that comes with time or doesn't (my tinnitus has been worse instead of what the doctor told me that it would be gone in a year).  I can't just go back to things the way they were because I look nearly the same.  The SSD has been a big problem for me that I just try to blow off but when I'm aggravated by it, nobody understands which makes it even more frustrating!   Anybody else experience any thing like this?
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right