Author Topic: MRI #5  (Read 2917 times)

novagirl

MRI #5
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:06:53 am »
Dear ANA friends - well, I had my MRI #5 on Tuesday, got the radiologist's report this morning - the tumor is stable, continued follow-up is suggested. So I've now been in w&w for two years with no change. There was a bit of a growth noted (1mm) on my previous scan in Nov 2010, but my doctor felt confident that it was not "real" growth, but rather the way the machine was "slicing" when imaging.  The scan of two days ago is stable as compared with the one in Nov, in fact one number went slightly up and one slightly down (we are talking sub-millimeter differences).

Overall, I feel great. No hearing issues, no ringing, haven't had dizziness in over a year and a half. My only occasional symptom is facial tightness (which I dub my own built-in weather station, since I normally feel it when we are about to get rain or snow). I can't believe it's been two years! But you know, I must say this diagnosis no matter how scary and stressful it was, has indeed in a way been a blessing in disguise - it made me appreciate and value so much more every little precious moment of my life, brought me closer to my family, and I even find myself to be much more compassionate, forgiving and patient towards others. It also brought me closer to my religion and pondering the eternal.

Going to see my doctor on July 6th, but will probably keep in w&w until MRI shows growth conclusively. I know it's always a difficult decision: do I continue watchful waiting or do I go for treatment now? My plan has always been to get treatment when the tumor grows or my symptoms increase. Neither happened thus far. Part of me is of course hoping that I can wait long enough for a magic pill to be invented LOL, but no, I am realistic about the situation, and will go for CK in a heartbeat if and when necessary. But w&w has been the right decision for me so far.

This forum is such a blessing! It certainly has been for me! I keep praying for all of you reading posts on here and sending healing thoughts your way.
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm

Silver Sonnet

Re: MRI #5
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:44:30 am »
Yay, NovaGirl!  Congratulations on no growth!

And a big AMEN to the side benefits of this diagnosis.  Let's hope the positives continue to outweigh the negatives for you :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »
Novagirl ~

Congratulations on the 'stable' MRI report!  I'm delighted to learn that you're doing so well.  Apparently you've used your AN as a motivation to pursue a more sensitive (and gratifying) lifestyle and as an impetus to help you consider your faith and eternity.  Well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chrisransom

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:36 pm »
Good for you!  My FIRST follow up is next week.  I hope I have the same history as you!

Take care,

Chris
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:53:27 pm »
Congratulations on the good MRI report! It's so true about becoming more appreciative of life and family and just being grateful for feeling good:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010