Author Topic: Grey Hair  (Read 8942 times)

DeniseSmith

Grey Hair
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:46:12 am »
Okay this is something I noticed lately and want to know if anyone else has noticed this.

My AN is on my left side.  Since my surgery I cannot believe the grey hair on that side of my head.  I have more on that side than on my right.   I had a few prior to my surgery, but since it seems to be out of control. 

I am curious has anyone else notice that? ???

Denise

amymeri

Re: Grey Hair
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:21:44 am »
My hair is coming in more gray around the surgery area and I have heard this is common. Also coming in a new texture or curly seems to be common.  Mine is just plain white/gray and a little coarse but since I am blond it isn't so noticable.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 11:44:57 am »
My hair has always been wild and crazy so I dont know that I would notice if it decides to do anything else a little strange :D
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 02:10:19 pm »
do you want a professional cosmetologist response on how stress affects the color/texture of hair in a Cosmetology 101 statement... or... shall I shut up?

FYI, have noticed it as well since my CK treatment... shhhhhh... everyone thinks I'm a partial, natural blonde! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cinnamon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:19:06 pm »
I  am curious to ask, when do you feel normal enough to go to a hairdresser after surgery? Should I consider someone with a background with head trauma? I have always enjoyed having my hair done but am really scared about having soft spots?

Any info would be appreciated.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:56:23 pm »
I've got the grey coming in at a furious rate on my AN side too. I'm 30 years old!

kimmy

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:06:14 pm »
I told my usual hairdresser that I was having the operation and she has been fantastic. Very gentle when shampooing and careful when blowdrying.  I went to her about 4 months post op. I don't have any more grey hairs on the AN side but I have a little bit of hair growing from the indentation which is determined to stick right out no matter what I do!! And the dent has got so much bigger too, I'm 11 months post op. Seeing the surgeon in September so will ask questions about it then.
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 06:19:37 pm »
I visited my hairdresser four weeks post op.  I went in after washing my own hair.  I didn't want to rest my neck on the sink edge.  I took my own comb with round teeth.  I asked the person not to scrape my scalp there.  I heard from another poster that she was not allowed to get colorant or bleach in her incision.  I think this would not be good.  The incision site wants to stay soft and sometimes moist for a few months.  Take care.  Yes, my incision area still seems large and soft at 6 months.  I don't poke around on it at all.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:56:14 pm »
Anesthetic and drugs affect the hair after any surgery or illness.  So, it can fall out, turn grey and change texture as a result of the surgery trauma, or meds.  Hormonal changes/adrenal fuctions can impacted by trauma too.  So maybe this explains some of the extra greys.  But when I reached a certain age, grey was the least of my problems! ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 04:45:57 pm »
Okay this is something I noticed lately and want to know if anyone else has noticed this.

My AN is on my left side.  Since my surgery I cannot believe the grey hair on that side of my head.  I have more on that side than on my right.   I had a few prior to my surgery, but since it seems to be out of control. 

I am curious has anyone else notice that? ???

Denise

Yes.  Interesting phenomenon, isn't it?  As if we didn't have enough to deal with......

I'm a guy, age 63.  Full head of formerly brown hair.  Pre-surgery, (6/7/06), my hair was grey at the temples (and had been that way for many years) but with my hair now so much shorter on the sides (to compensate for and to hopefully grow in to match the shaved area on the incision side - my left) I noticed that my hair is now grey about halfway up my head, to my part. This is new.  Obviously, at my age, this extra grey hair is not a major concern and my barber tells me: "Jim, just be glad you still have all your hair!"   I am.

The stress of the always-lengthy AN removal surgery, the hours spent under anesthesia and the various strong meds necessarily taken (or given by doctors and hospital staff) following surgery might well explain this 'suddenly grey' (or greyer) situation we can find ourselves faced with.  For younger 'victims' of this phenomena, there is always hair-color rinses and dyes.  I can't blame anyone under 60 for not wanting 'premature' grey hair ...unless you are Taylor Hicks!  Maybe if I could learn how to sing 'soulfully'.....naaaah!  ;)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Windsong

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 05:03:36 pm »
Perhaps the stem cell research using hair follicles will discover the answer for all this....

I noticed that, for myself, my hair has grown in darker along the paths of the radiation treatment, though other areas are more "blonde".....

This is a most interesting thread.
Windsong

Obita

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 08:12:55 pm »
I don't think I have more grey hair on my AN side but my AN side hair is bizzare to say the least.  It is coarse and hard to manage.  I am going to blame it on the steroids......ok, so it could be my incision too........but it is probably the steroids.   ::)
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jeanlea

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 11:14:32 pm »
I haven't noticed any more gray hair, but I have noticed that I am continually having hair grow in along my incision.  Anyone else have this?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 11:11:35 am »
Yes, Jean, my incision has new hair growing all along it. At six months I can gently scrub there, too!  The "hole" in my hair style is filling out.

Kathy, I have fine hair and the new stuff is the same in texture.  I had steriods for three days post op, none at home.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:14:54 am by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 11:19:05 am »
Scott, falling hair has been a particular problem with me after weight loss, and after antibiotic treatment.  It has always grown back in though.  You might feel little stubs poking out where it is growing in.