Author Topic: Lip retrainer  (Read 3060 times)

Jessica000

Lip retrainer
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:28 am »
Hi all,

Hope all has been well. I am nearly 1 year post op. My physiotherapy has ended because my therapist feels that there's nothing much she can do beyond 1 year. Things are quite demoralising here in Singapore.. sigh.

However my recovery has been fine...the parts that haven't come back are upper lip (curl up movement), lower eye lid ( couldn't close eye completely) and eyebrows. The rest are there..just not that strong yet. I wonder do the ones that I mentioned take longer to come back..

Anyway I've found this lip retraining device online which claimed to help train the mouth muscle plus other benefits. Has any one come across this before? I am wondering if it really helps..

http://www.liptrainer-patakara.com

mandy721

Re: Lip retrainer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »
Hi Jessica
I haven't heard of the lip retrainer, but wanted to ask if you have anyone trained in neuromuscular retraining  in Singapore.  A number of people have worked with Jackie Diels in the States and the results are impressive.  She works on strengthening the facial muscles and relaxing muscle spasms on the affected side of the face. If you put her name in the search box,  you will find numerous discussions.  My husband saw her in May and she's remarkable.  She is hooked in to other neuromuscular retraining therapists, so she might be able to connect you with someone in your area or give you some suggestions on the best way to deal with your facial issues.  Good luck.
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Jessica000

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:04:40 am »
Hi,

I've always wondered, how much do Jackie charge for facial retraining? And how many sessions does she usually give?

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:31 am »
Ones ins will pay for many people and usually needs to be approved ahead of time.    I am not sure of amount now as I did only a half day session with her many years ago.     How long the session is depends on how much you need.  Can be 3 days or more if need be to learn some exercises and then work on them to make sure doing them the right way to help you.      Then you go back after a time of several months to learn more or see how you are doing.         I just went for some tightness and synkinesis.              There should be some other answers posted for you from others who go to her.      Also while you are in Madison there is hotel rates given to you for a cheaper hospital rate.                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care