Author Topic: July 4th  (Read 3917 times)

skipg

July 4th
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:49:47 am »
I was sitting alone this, morning thinking and praying for our men and women who are in harms way, serving our nation. I am grateful, in the midst of my diagnosis, that they are standing in the gap and defending my way of life and the freedoms I enjoy. I personally know too many families who have sons and daughters that paid the ultimate price for our nations freedom. We will have a picnic later today and will pause to pray for all our service men and women and the families that are here on the homefront waiting for a safe return. We will also take time to "Honor and Remember" those whose lives were cut short defending Americas way of life. This forum is a great asset to me and I thank each and everyone who has provided me with the knowledge I need to move forward. Would you join me this week and take time to thank the defenders of our freedom who have allowed us the to live in a country that has no limits to what it can achieve. In this case I think of the medical advancements that benefits so many not only in America but from around the world. Have a great day and may God Bless America.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: July 4th
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:42:48 am »
Amen.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:51:19 pm »
Hi Skip,

I was at a 4th of July parade today and saw a Veteran in a wheel chair sitting by the curb watching the parade. My boyfriend and I went up to him and "Thanked " him for his service to our great country and for keeping us free. He looked at us a little stunned and then thanked us. All the Veterans, Service men and women in the parade were greeted with a round of applause and whistles. It's a great day to honor them. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 04:01:51 pm »
Skip ~

Thanks for your thoughtful post and the reminder that we Americans live our comfortable lives protected by men and women willing to lay down theirs to defend us.  It is a debt that can never be repaid except by honoring and respecting our military veterans, both on Memorial Day and, of course, today, July 4th, the 235th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. 

Like you, I cherish the freedoms that America offers and the great advancements in medicine and so many other fields of human endeavor that freedom has made possible.  I've always considered myself fortunate to have been born in the U.S.A. and respect the Founder's daring and wildly successful attempt to shape and offer Americans an exceptional form of republican government that has made our nation one of the greatest powers in modern human history.  A nation that millions and millions of foreigners have sought to become a part of, not only a hundred or more years ago but even today.  That desire goes beyond our standard of living, which is excellent.  It is based primarily on America's freedom and with that freedom the opportunity to make of yourself whatever you desire, if you're willing to work hard to do it.  The freedom to worship however you wish - or not at all.  The freedom to speak your mind on whatever political issue matters to you, without fear of a government reprisal, as can occur in other less-free nations.   In short, the freedom to pursue happiness, as you understand happiness.  That is America and without our strong, resourceful military, it couldn't have lasted because we've always had enemies.  That hasn't changed, just their names and motivations.  Yet Americans have always been willing to fight for what they believe in and our current volunteer military reflects that kind of commitment.  On this Independence Day, I thank God we have such people in our midst and I hope God will continue to bless our nation.       
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:03:21 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:03:15 pm »
Well said everyone.

Years ago when I joined the Army it was not out of a strong sense of patriotism and duty, it was instead a way to find my future. I don't believe this is uncommon for most 20-somethings, nor would I expect it to be. However, you do not make it through Basic and Advanced training without finding a new understanding of patriotism. There is a difference between studying American history in a classroom and becoming a part of that history by joining a fighting unit that has a long history of its own.

My thanks to all who serve and have served. My thanks also to all who support and appreciate that service...it wasn't all that long ago that support was not there.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:43:07 am »
Thank you, Skip, for this post.
Tod, like you, two years ago my son joined the USAF security forces. Not really out of some deep desire to serve but because he needed something to do out of high school. But like you said, that changes with all the training, camaraderie, etc. They work so hard. Last year he volunteered to deploy and he's been in Afghanistan the last few months.
Can't wait to welcome him home, hopefully in September!
Many thanks to all those who serve and who have served.  My prayers and support are with them.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

skipg

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:29 am »
Keri, Thanks for the info on your son, will kep him in prayer. Your sons first name if you do not mind, I like to be specific in prayers. But Keris' son will work fine.

Tod, You are so right about past support not being there. There are still many Nam vets who hold a deep seated grudge about the past disrespect and hate they encountered when coming home. I do all I can to welcome home our men and women and stand in silent respect to those who come home to grieving families.

Skip

Keri

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:18 am »
Thanks, Skip. My son's name is Scott.
The Vietnam war was the war of my generation. I was too young to know the political side, but i remember those POW bracelets we got that had a name on them that we were supposed to wear until they came home. Other than that, I don't remember any support - so very sad. My grandmother helped a Vietnam vet when he came home on leave - kind of adopted him. I wish I could find him now and thank him.

Every year our church (led by a Vietnam vet) collects gifts to take to the VA hospital and share with the veterans; many are from the Vietnam war. I thank them so much. Because (unfortuntately) they were treated poorly, my son and other troops today are treated with much more admiration; our country seemed to learn our lesson.

People today don't always agree with the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq, but you can still support and pray for the troops sent there.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »
Thanks, Skip. My son's name is Scott.
The Vietnam war was the war of my generation. I was too young to know the political side, but i remember those POW bracelets we got that had a name on them that we were supposed to wear until they came home. Other than that, I don't remember any support - so very sad. My grandmother helped a Vietnam vet when he came home on leave - kind of adopted him. I wish I could find him now and thank him.

Every year our church (led by a Vietnam vet) collects gifts to take to the VA hospital and share with the veterans; many are from the Vietnam war. I thank them so much. Because (unfortunately) they were treated poorly, my son and other troops today are treated with much more admiration; our country seemed to learn our lesson.

People today don't always agree with the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq, but you can still support and pray for the troops sent there.

Keri

I'm of the 'Viet Nam war generation' (but not a veteran) - and you're right.  That war was highly politicized and divided the nation.  Fortunately, Americans have learned to separate the soldiers doing the fighting from the politicians that send them to war.  I believe the fact that our military is 100% voluntary now is behind much of the change in attitude.  That, and the residual shame many feel about how brave young people who fought that horrific war in southeast Asia were mis-treated on their return by (too) many back then.   Luckily, time heals and while the Viet Nam-era vets may not forget, they appreciate the fact that they are no longer considered pariahs by American society and their service to their nation is now respected and honored, as it should be.  Putting ones life on the line for your fellow citizens certainly deserves that honor, whether or not you agree politically with the premise for the war or the politicians that authorized it.   As you noted, I think we all get that, now. 

Prayers for your son, Scott, that he remain safe as he serves.  Prayers for you and your husband, too, as you await his return in September.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

skipg

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
Thanks Keri I will add Scott to my list of names and keep your family also in prayer.
Skip