Author Topic: Surgery date set July 29  (Read 3318 times)

sarahinPA

Surgery date set July 29
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
Hi everyone, I just got the call that my surgery date is scheduled for July 29th. I am a nervous wreck as this date has really made it all real.

My surgery will be performed by dr paul Gardner and dr hirsch at upmc in Pittsburgh. Dr Gardner is the Nero surgeon and dr horsy is an ENT surgeon, working together during the procedure.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery date set July 29
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »
Hi, Sarah ~

Congratulations on receiving your surgery date.  The three weeks (until July 29th) will speed by.  Being apprehensive is simply being normal.  Everyone facing AN surgery is nervous.  I was.  Take care of things that need doing, schedule some 'fun time' for yourself and try to be as healthy and fit as you can while you await the Big Day.  I assume you have full confidence in your doctors, which is always a 'must' to maintain a positive attitude 'going in'.  Many thousands of folks have undergone AN removal surgery and come out O.K.  I'm one of them.  I trust that you'll be another.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »
Hi Sarah .....

As Jim says, July 29th will be here before you know it.  Try to concentrate on doing fun things with your family and friends between now and then ..... it really helps to stay busy.  You may want to tie up any loose ends of unfinished projects, etc.  Many of us worked on having things ready to make it easier post-op ...... freeze some quick meals, laundry all done up, etc.

So glad you have a date.  It really is easier to know how to plan now ..... even though it is a scary time I know.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sarahinPA

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:48:22 am »
Thank you both for your encouraging words! As for fun, I'm going to las Vegas for a week on Sunday, I don't think it gets much more fun than that!

Scott, u do have a lot if faith in my doctors, as they are amazing, and have great bedside manners! Also,   Through this forum u was able to meet a girl around my age that had had her AN removal (3 surgeries) from the same team if doctors! We have been keeping in close contact via Internet and phone and plan to meet the week before my surgery.   

I have a wonderful support group, my mom plans to stay with me for about a week after surgery, my brother has offer to stay on other days and I have aunts who have volunteered to come from out of state to stay, the whole way from alabama!!!!

If course I dont want to leave all my chores for family to do, so I've already found myself making a list of things that need done before I go for surgery.

The anticipation is killing me though, I have good days and then u start to think and I get sad, it's like an emotional roller coaster! I think the scariest thing for me is the changes that I'm going to be living with, and it's weird to know that I'm going in go major surgery and I practically feel fine! That's kind of an eery feeling, that I'm sure some if you understand.

My boyfriend has been great though, he himself has been through some major emergency surgeries in his stomach. So he has been really supportive and has given me so much reassurance that he's here for me no matter what the outcome is, meaning he's not going to leave if things get tough and there is that possible bad outcome. This helps me to know that no matter what he will still be there and love me, I couldnt ask for a better person in my life.

Correction, my ENT is dr hirsch from upmc, spelling error before.

Thanks again for all the support, you all have been so helpful and I
 Sure once I'm in the otherwise, you will continue to supper
Me!!!!!

2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

moe

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:06 am »
Sarah,
Welcome to the forum, and what you are feeling is completely normal.
Things will be oK, you'll see. How big is your tumor (in case I missed that).
Good advice from others. Just stay busy, occupied and exercise if you can. That helps with the stress and also helps with recovery. Plan on the first couple of days post op to be "Yucky" but that's because you had brain surgery, and just sleep through it if you can! Ask for pain med if needed and nausea med if needed.
It'll be behind you before you know it.
Any other questions about the surgery?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sarahinPA

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »
Thank you Maureen!

My tumor was 2.2cm when it was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago, I had Gamma Knife done in Jan 2009 and began having more symptoms (facial spasms) that I did not have before the gamma knife, so in Dec. 2010 I got another MRI and then another in June 2011 and learned that I was in the lucky 2% of regrowth patients. 3mm growth on top of the 2.2 AN. so, im heading in for surgery to remove the sucker before it gets much bigger.

Thanks for the support, I found this site when I was first diagnosed, but came back recently when all this came back to me.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC

moe

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:53:56 am »
thanks for the added detail! Do you know what approach the surgeon is going to use?
Keep busy and focused :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sarahinPA

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:32:00 am »
I believe it will be the translate approach  because that provides the best view of the tumor, and since  mine has already been radiated it is a little more difficult
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:52:52 am »
Hey Sarah!! I just wanted to wish you good luck with  your surgery! As Jim said, these days will just fly by!! For me, the hardest part of the whole process was deciding what kind of procedure I wanted to do and where to do it at...once that was pass, all was pretty calm!!  Just remember to keep active, if you work out or something like that, that will help with the nerves!! Keep us updated when you can!! Take care and good luck! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston