Author Topic: Incision in belly????  (Read 7869 times)

sarahinPA

Incision in belly????
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:54:55 am »
I've read on here a few times that you will have an incision in the belly area after surgery. My doctor didn't mention this to me and u was just wondering why this would be and if it's there for everyone. Any info would be nice, as my surgery is in 21 days
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Desilu

Re: Incision in belly????
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:22:27 am »
Hi Sara,

They call it a "fat harvest", not all the time but depending on your surgeon, they will make a small incision on your belly, usually on the left side and "harvest" some fat tissue to pack your surgery area with. It's not very big and they didn't even use stitches on me, they just applied a "tape" over the incision. I hope this helps. I may not be explaining it just right but I hope you get the general idea. Doctors usually take the fat from the left side because your appendix is on the right side and if you were to get into some sort of accident and couldn't speak, they don't want the medical team to think that your appendix has been removed. Maybe others will offer a better explanation. Hang in there. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:28:19 am »
Yes, I had just a tiny incision on the left lower abdomen. The joke is PLEASE take out as much fat as you can, but they don't :(
There was the strip across the incision, and it heals just fine. No pain there. Let us know if you have any other questions!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

psmix

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:08:10 am »
I've had three fat harvests (unfortunately, my waist is no slimmer!) It seems like you really want to know what to expect, so not knowing what approach your doctor will take I'll share my experiences.

My first fat graft was taken fairly high up ("muffin top" region) on the right. It was closed with stitches at first, replaced by steri-strips after a few days. The other two (different surgeon than the first) are lower on the left as others have said and had no stitches. The last one was used to plug a spinal fluid leak, so I guess they really tried to take a lot of fat (I actually do have a little depression under that incision now.) I had a drain in that incision for several days and my entire abdomen was VERY bruised and swollen like a grapefruit. More than four months post-op, it's still a little bit bruised looking. Actually, as bad as it looked, it didn't really hurt much. I think that extreme result with the last incision was because they were taking a lot of fat for the CSF leak, and it was less than a week after the translab so I had a still fresh incision just above it.

Mostly, this is a really minor thing in comparison to the rest of the surgery.
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »
Sarah ~

As noted in an earlier post (#2), not every doctor uses 'belly fat' to pack the surgery site.  Mine didn't.  The issue never came up in our pre-op consultations because, at the time, I was a lot more concerned with avoiding facial paralysis than how the surgery site would be packed. My neurosurgeon (30 years experience with AN surgery) used titanium mesh and nothing else.  I had no problems.  Apparently this is a matter of doctor preference.  If you're concerned - or just curious - I would place a call to the doctor and simply ask him if he intends to use 'belly fat' or just the titanium mesh.  If you're really curious, you could ask him why he uses whatever method he does.  In any case, I'm sure it will not be an issue for you.  This rarely is.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:03:55 pm »
Sarah .....

As I recall there was some uncertainty on your part as to which approach your doctor was using.  If he guaranteed you being SSD after surgery and the incision is right behind the ear, it sounds like a translabyrinthine approach.  I am not a doctor, but my understanding is that with a translab (literally "across the labyrinth") approach, the surgeon does a mastoidectomy (removal of the mastoid bone) and a labyrinthectomy (removal of the labyrinth portion of the inner ear) in order to have the maximum view of the tumor and facial nerve in the internal auditory ear canal.  In order to prevent cerebral spinal fluid leakage, these areas need to be packed with fat (taken from the abdomen) before closure.

With a retrosigmoid approach (from the back, closer to the brain stem), this is usually not necessary and titanium mesh is most often used to cover the area.

I have had two retrosigmoid surgeries (one on each side by different doctors in different medical facilities) and no fat was harvested for either of those.  Only titanium mesh and screws were used for closure.  Most recently I had the translabyrinthine surgery and fat was harvested from the left side of my abdomen.  A drain was inserted for the first couple of days post-op.  Steri-strips were used to close the approximately 2 1/2 to 3 inch incision.  If I did not see it, I would never have known it was there ..... never had any pain nor discomfort from it.

I hope this helps.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sarahinPA

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 03:34:43 pm »
Thank you everyone for the information! this was not discussed in my appointment, but I will put it on my list of questions and be sure to ask the doctor just so I am aware. Thanks a lot!!!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »
I actually had staples in my incision - sounds like I'm the unusual one (again   ::)).  I had a drain for a few days and had those staples removed the same time I had the ones in my head removed.  I didn't have any pain and you can barely see the scar.  My only complaint was that the doc didn't suck all the fat out of there while he was there.   >:(

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »
Ah, yes, the ever popular abdomenal fat graft.  As most who've had one with our AN surgery can attest to, they just don't take enough fat!  :'(  And probably 99.9% of us ask our docs to do that!

I had one and didn't have any issues with it.  No healing problems, no pain, etc.  My doc does the graft on the left side of the abdomen so that scar isn't confused with a scar from an appendectomy.

I also didn't have a CSF leak post op, which may be neither here nor there.  However, I have heard a theory that those of us who have fat put into the hole left by the tumor removal typically don't get leaks.  I've heard no scientific evidence to support this theory; I just find it interesting.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MNTim

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:26 pm »
I must be a rarity because I had a fat graft and a leak afterward.  I had a second graft which seems to be holding up. 

While my incision at the graft site healed well I became concerned when it seemed to protrude and became hard about 2-3 weeks after the procedure.  I was informed that it was scar tissue.  Keep that in mind if you notice a change and it concerns you.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Nthtxmom

• Kim- Follower of Christ and teacher of little ones
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 04:49:14 pm »
I had fat removal also- definately a plastic surgeon he was not. At the time I wore a size 24 and told him I was upset that he had left such a scar- now I wouldn't be able to wear a bikini! Now I'm an 8 and have thought about integrating it into a tattoo but that would be much more painful than the original   :)
AN diagnosed 2000.
Translab removal 4/10/2001. Owens Ear Clinic- Dallas, TX
SSD Left
BAHA implant 2002- BP100 1/2011

JAndrews

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:12:57 pm »
They use the piece of fat (small) to prevent CSF leak. It has been very successful. If your Doc didn't mention it he probably doesn't do that. CSF leaks can be serious. Ask them.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »
Ah, you aren't the only odd one out, Lori...I also had staples....my incision doesn't show at all, which totally amazed me.  Jan, I too, asked for a lot more fat to be used and they just didn't listen,,,ugh.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »
My fat graft was done by the "fellow" aka intern that was working w/my neurotologist at the time. 

He did a great job; scar is hardly visible at all.

Many thanks, Dr. Rivera, wherever you are  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sarahinPA

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 02:16:31 pm »
Thank you everyone! I spoke  with my doctor yesterday at my pre op and he told me that he does not use belly fat.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC