Author Topic: Pre-Op today, Gamma Knife tomorrow  (Read 3600 times)

brucea

Pre-Op today, Gamma Knife tomorrow
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:46 am »
I am ready to get this over with.  I must say the only thing that I am really worried about is the pins in my head to hold the head gear on.  Maybe that is a little juvenile but that's what's worrying me.
Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  Any questions I should ask?

Last but definitely not less, I am requesting prayers and positives thougths. I will continue to post over the next couple of days so others in my position will benefit as I have from all of you.  Thanks you for all the information I have gleaned off of this website.
Ann
1.7 x 1 x .7  facial schwannoma
Gamma Knife treatment - 7-12-11
Dallas, Texas -- UT Southwestern

mk

Re: Pre-Op today, Gamma Knife tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:30 am »
Don't worry about the pins. They numb the area, so you won't feel anything. You can expect a long and tiring day, but it will be over soon. Do apply cold compresses on your forehead after you are done, to ease the swelling. Also ask them for some pain and nausea medication in case you need it. I never used it, but it was good to know that I had it in case I needed it.
Take it easy afterwards, it is easy to overdo it, especially if you feel well. Give your body time to heal.

Good luck to you, and hopefully you will have an excellent recovery.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »
Bruce ~

Our astute Marianna has offered you sound pre-GK advice.  I'll offer you my good thoughts and prayers for an uncomplicated, successful procedure (and good results down the road).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

proudmomof3

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:20:11 pm »
Hi Ann,

I had GK done this past April. Putting in the pins was no problem. They gave me some "good" stuff in my IV and I don't even remember it. Taking them out...well, that was very painful. However, they did give me pain meds right after that and I was fine for the rest of the day.  Some people do not experience any pain during the headframe removal. My head is extremely sensitive, though.

The procedure itself is pretty uneventful ~ I hardly remember any of it. I just had anxiety leading up to that day.

Good luck and prayers to you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cheryl
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

patt

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:43:47 pm »
Ann ---
            Good Luck to you!   It will be over faster than you think.   You found a great site to share and vent how you are feeling.
            Keep us posted how you are doing.

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

skipg

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »
Hi Ann,

Was on a motorcycle ride and a friend was commenting on one of our mutual friends who just had Gamma Knife for tumor control (not an). He was commenting on the "halo" our friend had to get fixed into his head for the treatment. The discussion then centered on "that was the only way this friend was going to receive any kind of halo". We all laughed because our friend is a little rough around the edges, but still a great guy to have as a friend.

The picture they showed us at the symposium, when they were discussing different types of radiation treatment, was of a man who had GK in the morning and was pictured swinging a golf club in the afternoon. I don't know if that is typical but it sure was impressive.

Will hold in you up in prayer tomorrow, keep us posted.

Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

brucea

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:54 am »
I'm done with GK. WHOOP! That's Aggie talk for YAH!

The day started at 6 and finished around 1:30pm. 
I will say the shots and pins were not as easy as some of you said but definitely not as bad as I had it worked up in my over informed mind. The shots & pins activity was pretty crowded--all 4 of my drs where there and they all 4 participated at once. NO CHANCE TO BACK OUT!
Then off to the MRI with all 4 docs and my nurse ( she was great!).  Then about an hour of down time...or planning time for the docs.
Dr. Kutz came in and said they had a great plan and then stated to explain it to me.  I just grinned really big and said "I'm on goofy juice and not near as smart as you in the radiation realm, so lets get this over with." I did add that I could probably take him in the education of high schoolers  ;).
Off to the GK room.  Folk, wear sweat pants and good socks,  that place is COLD! They did give me warm blankets. After about 10 minutes of setting me in the rocketship (GK) and adjusting my bed, we were off for a 2 hour ride.  A couple of times they stopped to adjust the wedge under my legs.
Lastly, Dr. Nedzi (yes, my drs names were Nedzi & Kutz ;D) and the nurse took out the pins--that wasn't bad at all. The headache that followed was terrible but they gave me meds for that and it was better in about 45 minutes.
Thank you to everyone who prayed for me and sent me bits and pieces of info along the way. They all helped. A special thanks to the staff @ UT Southwestern in Dallas and my family & friends.
I will continue to post updates in the next couple of weeks.  As always, this community has be a GODsend. 
Thanks Ann
1.7 x 1 x .7  facial schwannoma
Gamma Knife treatment - 7-12-11
Dallas, Texas -- UT Southwestern

proudmomof3

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:09 am »
Hi Ann,

So glad you made it through GK and you are okay. Sorry the pins was a problem for you - it was taking them out that was my problem, but everyone is different.

Don't get worried if you start getting dizzy and have headaches and blurred vision. If that happens call the dr. They put me on steroids for that.

Good Luck and TAke Care!

Cheryl
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
Ann ~

Congratulations on completing your GK treatment.  Hope and prayers for a successful recovery - and a 'dead' tumor!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.