Author Topic: Surgery coming up in a couple of weeks  (Read 5937 times)

Itheus

Surgery coming up in a couple of weeks
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:37:29 pm »
Is there anything I can do to prepare myself physically?  Exercises, diets (not fad diets, mind you)...does anything come to mind?

skipg

Re: Surgery coming up in a couple of weeks
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:47:52 pm »
Two weeks and anything is possible to get physically ready for surgery. I try to  maintain a healthy lifestyle. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Supplements for additional vitamin D and daily cod liver oil. I walk on a Sole treadmill at height level 15 and 3mph for 30 min a day. I was jogging but the constant jarring at a faster pace really caused pain in my back. Try to get your resting heart rate and blood pressure down. If you want to strengthen your immune system and get nutrients into your body fast try juicing. Raw carrots are great. Google juicing and there is a wealth of information available.

Good luck with your surgery and keep in touch.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Itheus

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:41 pm »
Thanks Skip, I appreciate the advice.  I try to maintain a healthy diet, but admittedly am a little naughty on the weekends (I am a homebrewer, so I've had to cut that out  :-[ ).  I will certainly try to take it to another step with exercise and a healthy diet.

TP

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:23:05 am »
My two cents, rest and sleep as much as you can, drink plenty of water, eat normal and make sure you don't take any medications without letting your Dr know. Stay away from sick people  ;)
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

moe

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:57:47 am »
Good point about staying away from sick people. And get plenty of sleep. Exercise whatever/however you can. Will help tremendously.
And as the doc or his nurse probably pointed out, no  aspirin or ibuprofen or herbal products 2 weeks prior to surgery  :)
It'll be here before you know it, and will be so nice to be on the "other side."
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
Hi Itheus,

All that advice is good, but maybe this week you should go and do things you really enjoy doing.
Also, go out and eat the food you love the best, and relax, we all know the anxiety.

God Bless.

Itheus

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:49 pm »
Thanks again for your responses.  I think I've gotten all of the tough physical things that needed done around the house.  I told my wife I'd like to have a few of my favorite meals before next Thursday (surgery date), and I didn't have to twist her arm too hard  ;)  - we share the same tastes in food for the most part.  I've been getting plenty sleep - unfortunately fatigue has been something I've been battling with.  I feel like I could easily sleep for 12 hours some days.

I do have some anxiety, naturally, but this board has been wonderful.  I'm hoping everything will go fine, and I'll recover quickly.  Even if that happens, I want to make sure I come here to support others that are going through the tough decisions and anxieties that AN's can bring on.

Grateful_1

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 06:59:20 pm »
You maintain a healthy diet so you're off to a good start. Now, enjoy yourself as much as you can before the surgery and let us know how it goes!  Good Luck!
St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue

Twindad

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
I'm one month out of surgery and have found myself eating like a horse the past three weeks ! Your body will probably reach a point demanding food to make up for the trauma it went through. I would suggest to whoever is helping you at home post surgery to be prepared to feed you the best and easiest foods to digest and a lot of it. I was given what I call post op poop pills to keep things going to avoid any type of straining. I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery my friend.
Translab Surgical approach
3.5cm x 3.8cm x 4cm. Loss of hearing on left. Removed 6-23-11 / 10.5 hrs