Author Topic: Ten Years Later  (Read 2616 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Ten Years Later
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
It was May 2001 that I was diagnosed with a right-sided 1.5 cm tumor. Then I had middle fossa surgery at House with Dr.Brackmann in November of that same year.  I had a clean MRI in December and a hearing test this past week. No change from last year. Still excellent high tone hearing in the AN ear with 50 percent loss of low tones in the AN ear. My word discrimination test was 80 percent in the AN ear and 96% in the non AN ear.

Ten years later.....it is hard to believe...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:33:19 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Ten Years Later
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »
Kate ~

Congratulations - and thank you for taking the time to post your successful ten-year update.  Your kind of experience is very encouraging, especially to the newly-diagnosed AN patient.  I'm delighted to learn that your hearing is so good - in both ears!  the Middle Fossa surgical approach does have it's advantages.  A decade is a long time (my AN surgery was five years ago) and that's why I'm impressed that you made the effort to look in your life's rear-view mirror long enough to remember the ANA website discussion forums and post your excellent update.  Thanks, again.  I hope the next ten years are equally good (and AN-free) for you ).  :)     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »
Hi Kate,   Your date is always in my thoughts as I was Nov 1 and you were the last of Nov. 10 yrs ago.     You saw Dr Gantz in the am and I was there in the pm Aug 14th and first day I knew it was an AN for sure as my MRI said possible neuronitis also besides the tumor.      Hard to believe it's  been so long!     You were one of my earliest AN friends!                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »
Hi Kate,

So glad you are doing so well. I too had the same wonderful surgeons as you. I retained 85% of my hearing and am doing great. My six year anniversary is coming up later this month. I hope my results are as good as yours at my 10 year mark. I think you should celebrate! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »
Hi Kate,   Your date is always in my thoughts as I was Nov 1 and you were the last of Nov. 10 yrs ago.         Hard to believe it's  been so long! ...    You were one of my earliest AN friends!                     Cheryl R

Hi Cheryl,
I agree:-)  Back then it was called a listserv too and operated through an old server:-)

Desilu,
IMHO, the House Doctors and staff are my heroes.

Jim,
Thnx. I always like to "Pay it Forward" and assist whenever I can.

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/