Author Topic: TOPOMAX HELP PLEASE...  (Read 2999 times)

proudmomof3

TOPOMAX HELP PLEASE...
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:37:21 pm »
Hello,

The neuro put me on Topomax 8 days ago for migraines. The side effects are awful. I am ready to stop taking it.

Does anyone know if the side effects get better or do they stay with you as long as you take the drug? I am only on 25 mg and he wants me to work my way up to 200mg!!

My side affects are: dizziness, so tired I can hardly function (I was already tired before this), dumb as a box of rocks (literally), can hardly drive a vehicle, did I say dizzy and can't walk a straight line?, nausea to the point I can't eat so I take a nausea pill which causes constipation (sorry I know this is TMI, but that is a problem you know...)

Can anyone who knows about this drug help me out? I am due for my next dose at 10pm tonight and I am seriously considering stopping it. I don't want to feel like this the rest of my life.

Thanks,

Cheryl
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

Mickey

Re: TOPOMAX HELP PLEASE...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
I`m no doctor but it sounds to me that something is not agreeing with you! Get back in touch with your doctor and explain your situation. Best wishes, Mickey

Glenda

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

My husband is taking Topomax also, he is also feeling sluggish and stomach upset.  He has been taking it for a couple of weeks......He is disabled and on lots of meds so I had not associated these side effects with this med until I read your post, I now realize he has gotten worse since starting this topomax.....I hope you both feel better soon!  Sometimes you don't know what is worse, the sickness or the cure.

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:22:55 pm »
I was put on Topomax for awhile for migraines too.  Well, I didn't know that the medicine was causing things, like feeling really stupid!   I went to a headache & pain institute here in Michigan and the doctor asked me and my husband if I have been having trouble concentrating, focusing, etc.   I was like in tears almost saying "yes, I literally feel stupid & dopy all the time".   She asked if it started after the Topomax.  I wasn't sure, I thought a lot of it had to do with being post op the AN surgery.   She said NO, it's the Topomax.   They actually refer to it as DOPomax because it makes people have so many issues.   She wanted me to wean off it right away.   WOW, after being off it a month I could realize right then that Yes it was the medicine making me feel that way.    It didn't really seem to help with the Migraines anyways, so no loss!!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:56:57 am »
My wife is a pharm rep, and migraine is her business. Denise is correct that it is often called Dopomax. It is a good drug, but everyone responds differently, so it is not unusual for you have a bad result...it just might be the wrong drug for you. There are TONS of migraine drugs and treatments out there, so if Topomax is causing you a problem, see your doc again. They are even using Botox for migraine now...very expensive...and it works for some but not for others. There is a needless injector that you can self inject with, and get almost instant relief, and there is an injector with a needle. There are tablets, nasal inhalers, freezes...one of these may correct for you. Your doc will work with you to find the answer.

James

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:02:37 am »
I am hoping to start botox injections, my insurance did approve them.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:16:12 pm »
I take 100 mg of Topamax.  I have been on it for almost five years.  I had side affects for the first two weeks.  The rest of the time it has been smooth sailing.  I don't feel dopey, sluggish or any of the above.  I was weened off for about three months and had the worst migraines of my life.  What works for one doesn't always for for another.  Imitrex makes me crazy....I didn't need any help  in that field.  The twenty-eighth of July is my sixth ANniversity.  I wish you all the best in finding what works for you.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

trhoads

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 07:28:41 am »
I am a little late joining the conversation....
I have to say weaning up on the Topomax was the worst. I could barely remember my name, and was also very tired. I did not have the dizzyness or nausea though. Once I had titrated up to 100mg per day, I felt better. But as mentioned by so many others, everyone is different. One drug may work for me and not for you. I agree with the other recommendations to follow up with your doctor, as this may not be the drug that works well for you.