Author Topic: Update on Gennysmom... directly from Gennysmom!  (Read 4395 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Update on Gennysmom... directly from Gennysmom!
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:48:29 pm »
well, I called her house, just to leave her a cute message about Beanie sending get well farts and guess who spoke to me? Now, she really isn't doing any phone time due to lack of strength and facial issues (minor) but she did get on for a minute.

She did share with me that the tumor was larger than expected and based on last MRI.  Definately sticky and involved other nerves (gawd, help me if I blow this but I think the 10th & 11th... but don't hold me to it... I was walking the dog when we spoke and had no pen/paper with me).  She said the dr wanted her home sooner (she also did since there was A/C issues at the hospital as well as better nursing care in her own home).  She has an appt this week to get her stitches out.  Her balance is a mess right now (the dizziness is rather bad right now) but she can't seem to use a walker as the "rolling affect" of a walker is throwing her off... so, they gave her a belt-type of strap so she can attach it to herself and to another and walk along with them. She did do a flight of stairs  :o and did ok with it.

She's wiped.... her voice was slow but clear and yes, some slight facial issues but the dr seems to think it will come back. Conquering the dizziness is the key and they are talking vestibular therapy for her... she'll learn more later.

She sends her love and hugs to everyone, is so truly humbled by everyone's support and really isn't taking phone calls now but will be checking in with us as soon as she can. She did try to read her carepages but her eyes are not cooperating well right now (one eye sees one direction, other sees another direction), so to focus is not good right now.  I sent her Beanie farts for wellness and she sounds in great spirits for all she has been through.

So, shocked she took my call (kept telling her mum not to give her the phone!) but she did want to send everyone her love, her appreciation, her thoughts... and yes.... once she begins more solid food, the heated prune juice/honey routine will be in affect.  She now understands the downfalls to decadron... ew!

Hang in there Gennysmom!!!!!  We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sending more huggles!!!!!

xoxoxo
Phyl and the fart-driven Beanie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Update on Gennysmom... directly from Gennysmom!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:18:12 pm »
Thanks for the update. I am continuing to send all good thoughts and wishes north to our sister/wench and will look forward to seeing her posts on here, when she can "see straight". All together now...GROUP HUG![/b]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:21:59 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

cinnamon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:27:28 pm »
I as well am looking for her returning to the club. I think about her every day and am glad to hear that she is hanging in there. Thanks for the update.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

nannettesea

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:41:53 pm »
Thanks sweetie Mother Pearl. My new nickname.  Soooo glad you talked to her.  Anxiously waiting to do the same, but when she's ready.

I know she'll be TOTALLY empathetic with my dizzies now!  Had a nice massage today, the first one I had gave me some momentary relief of dizziness.  Probably the Reiki. 

hugs to everyone--no Beanie farts for me!
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Obita

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:33:01 pm »
Hello Gennysmom:

The balance thing is no picnic but it does get better.  I bet you will have hundreds of posts to read when your eyes can handle it ......

Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:52:28 pm »
Thank you sweet Phyl!! I check her carepages and the forum about 1000 times a day looking for updates.  Very sad that our girl is having such a rough time, Damn dizziness!!!

Don't worry Kathleen,  I am taking excellent notes on our reality tv as promised.  Sending hugs and kisses!

Special thanks to our little fart driven Beanie wench for her endless supply. (what the heck are you feeding her?)  

Hugs,
Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:32:21 pm »
On ya mom.

hey girly, your phone call will help her speed up her recovery coz she'll be keen to find out what mischief she will be in on board the good ship PBW. Have the perfect plot lined up!

I think it's amazing that she could talk on the phone so soon after the op. Sounds like the other issues will come right especially by the 10th September coz she has a competition to enter!

Laz (the mad Ozzie)
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Static

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:44:00 pm »
Glad to hear she took your call, that's a good sign.  Sorry to hear she's having the difficulties but I remember only too well, it takes more time than we want it to :(  I didn't get back to my computer for some time after surgery, was having similar problems.  Sending hugs and thoughts for a speedy recovery!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

nannettesea

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 07:52:48 pm »
Hello, all-
Got off the phone with our lovely, dear Kathleen. She posted on Care Pages this am., so not much new to report.  Dizziness continues, told her to expect it for a while.  She went to the doc yesterday to have stitches removed and WALKED from the parking lot to the doc office.  No small distance.  I'd say that's progress.  She likes the cane more than walking stick.

Doc was not completely happy with her face drooping more with Decadron tapering, but expects it will be normal within 6 months.  Tests immediately post-op were good, so that is all positive.  She has sensation in face, also good.  Trigeminal nerve not as impacted by the tumor as could have been, so that is good.

Advised her to push but still moderate.  Not do vestibular exercises too soon--I started mine about 5 weeks post op (but have not been religious about them--Kathleen will be, I know).

Sending her all our love and support.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

cinnamon

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 11:15:38 am »
Thanks for sharing Nan.

I watch to see how she is doing she was so helpful to me. I really hope things will continue to get better for her. It has only been a short time though. Keep in touch. She is in my prayers.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 10:01:44 pm »
Hi all,

well, I spoke to the "Mom" yesterday to give her the news about me and Iain... it was great to hear joy in her voice. You can tell her face is a little off by her speech but heck, she was talkative and hanging in there and sounded like her usual self, even in spite. She has amazing strength, courage and resolve and her attitude is doing well.  She knows we all continue to cheer her on.  She getting of the decacrap now so yes, as Nan noted, the face droop is a little more pronounced, but overall.. and I'm a firm believer in this... because she went into her surgery with such knowledge and mental strength, she is going to come out of all of this amazingly well. For less than 2 weeks ago for having the procedure done, I am so dang proud of her and how well she is doing.  She sends love to everyone....and Kathleen.... Genny needs a good laugh... let's get her on the phone with Beanie to see who can "toot" the loudest! :)

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 10:49:20 am »
I talked to Kathleen yesterday, and she sounded great!!!  She is such an amazingly strong woman and is now an official Wonkyhead.  Did you know that Genny has a small supporting role in "Pirates of the Caribbean--Dead Man's Chest?" Yep, Yep, she sneaked off when her Mom was laid up and flew down to the Caribbean to hang with Jack and Will and make a movie and sip a Pina Colada!!!!  That little feathered Wench!!!

So she sends her love to everybody and says she couldn't have made it through without us.  I guess I gotta take off me pirate socks now that I've actually spoken to her--boy are they RIPE!

Captain Deb 8)
sending huge {{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUUUUUUUUUGS}}}}}}}}}}} to our dear First Mate!
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW