Author Topic: Six year Anniversary of Surgery 7-26-2011  (Read 4619 times)

Desilu

Six year Anniversary of Surgery 7-26-2011
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Today is my six year post surgery day! It's hard to believe that it has been that long ago. Life is good and I have no complaints (who would want to hear them anyway?).  I was very Blessed to have such a successful surgery and an uneventful recovery. I talk about my surgery to anyone that is having a difficult time facing their own surgery, whatever it may be. Support is what we are all about here. During my research to find the answers I needed to hear and someone to connect with, I found 2 women that totally clicked with me. Kristin and Mary, both of which live in Montana ( I live in Indiana). They were both there for me when I needed them. Many calls during the day and night and many prayers later a decision was made and I have not looked back since. Again, life is good! I believe God places people into our lives at certain times to bring us all closer together. Who would have known that my sister, Mary, would retire from her job in Michigan and move to Montana. Only to find out that Kristin and my sister lived in the same town! Do you know how big Montana is? What are the chances they would only live 10 minutes away from each other? God knew. This past summer I was able to fly out and see my sister for the first time since she moved (5 years ago), and I was able to meet Kristin for coffee. I have to say, the sights out in Montana were wonderful but the highlight of my trip was to meet the person that got me through this whole AN journey and be able to wrap my arms around her and give her a big hug and thank her for all of her help. God puts the right people in our lives at the right time to let us know he is always watching out for us. I couldn't thank her (or God) enough. I continue to read and post on the website whenever possible because I know just how important it can be for someone just newly diagnosed. This website and the people on it are the best! I have met many life long friends who understand me and I them. I am thankful for the opportunity to be on the "willing to talk list" to help and encourage others. They say: out of something bad, something good happens and it couldn't be more true in my case. Thank you ANA for being here when I needed you most. Sincerely, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

kristin

Re: Six year Anniversary of Surgery 7-26-2011
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:18:38 pm »
Ann...that is the sweetest post ever! I so much enjoyed meeting you last summer too. I totally agree that without the support of this website (and God), I would have been at a total loss regarding my decision to have surgery, gamma, watch and wait, etc. Especially here in Montana where there aren't any providers that have a clue about what is the best option for someone with an AN.

Love you girl!! Thanks for the awesome post.

Kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:20:28 pm »
Ann .....

What a beautiful tribute to all of the many forum posters who are on here because of a desire to "pass it on" as it were.

The forum has become a second family to me.  What a special thing to have met many people I first "knew" here on the forum, at the two symposiums I have been able to attend.  Many, many posts, conversations, texts, and emails later I have new, dear friends who understand without having to explain ..... who continue to give me support.  Hopefully I am doing the same for others.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:37 am »
Kristin and Clarice,

What I said came from the "Heart". I know that we are all trying to make a difference in peoples lives. This website gives us the opportunity to do that. Both of you have probably helped more people than you have realized. Whether it was something you posted or just listening when someone wanted to talk. We all have a bond, an AN bond. Yes, Clarice we are family! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02:27 am »
Desilu~

Happy that you are reached this milestone but even happier for you that you can realize and understand what a special thing can come out of all of this!!  I agree about 350% about God placing the right people in our lives when we need them most!! 

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:13:43 pm »
Ann ~

Your post was poignant and your sincerity was clearly evident.  As another AN patient blessed with a good recovery and many friends made via these forums (a few I've even met), your sentiments are much appreciated.  Thank you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:01 pm »
Ann -

six years is a huge milestone.

Congrats!!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 04:35:18 am »
Ann

You know how I feel about you... and other than saying a MAJOR happy ANniversary to you, I will leave you with  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

'nuff said!  :-*
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Desilu

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:06:35 am »
Thank you all, for your kind words. It's a pleasure to know each and every one of you!
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

JAndrews

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »
Its great to hear about another person doing so wonderfully!! I also had Dr. Brackmann. My life is just how he said it would be........I am great!!!!! No tumor has returned, I had a meningioma.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Desilu

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »
Hi JAndrews,

So glad to hear of another success story from my favorite doctor! Glad it all turned out well for you! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »
Ann,

It never ceases to amaze me...the compassion and spirit this group provides for each other daily. What an unanticipated outcome to develop such bonds with people in this group. Congrats from one AN'er to another and one Dr. Brackmann patient to another.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Desilu

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 06:04:30 am »
Thanks, Kate!