Author Topic: Hair coloring and Radiation  (Read 12201 times)

JLR

Hair coloring and Radiation
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:59 pm »
Hi All, Have been coloring my hair forever..the last few times ( and I thought it was the brand) my hair has taken to the color just awful. And I always had great easy to style hair.  I'm no hairdresser but I always did a fab job...however...my hair is really bad. No matter what product I use its just awful. Always look like a brillo pad. I'm guessing it has much to do with the radiation. Any thoughts?  (looking for advise from Phyl as I think one of her many expertises is hairdressing) Thanks!!

mk

Re: Hair coloring and Radiation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:35:25 pm »
I always had thick and healthy hair. However the summer after having GK my hairdresser noticed that my hair was very dry. She didn't know anything about the radiation and she recommended to stop doing highlights, as she thought this was the problem. I don't know why, but I am pretty sure that radiation was the cause of this change (unless it was the stress  ???)

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

JLR

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:51:14 pm »
Thanks Marianna! And of course the humid weather doesn't help.  I see you had surgery after the GK as the AN had a regrowth.  The whole process is a bit unnerving. I had a 6 month MRI which showed some swelling but also some black spots indicating necrosis..but so did yours. It's all such a mystery..not knowing exactly what the radiation will do..Although its comforting to know that many members of this forum had similar symptoms after their radiation.  I just want it all to be successful. I'm glad you are doing so well. Thanks again, Joan 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:59:20 am »
(looking for advise from Phyl as I think one of her many expertises is hairdressing)

aw!  :-*  :-*

Yep, still licensed after 30+ yrs (geesh!).

Yes, you  can color after radiation without issues.  Regardless if single process, off the scalp color (ie: foils, cap, etc)... the hair color only affects the hair shaft outside of the scalp (ie: deposits color into the cuticle layer of the hair shaft).

Thanks for the reminder to call MissClairol for myself :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"