Author Topic: Surgery in October 1996. Anyone feeling this way?  (Read 4566 times)

karenb

Surgery in October 1996. Anyone feeling this way?
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:48:51 pm »
Hi - I had my surgery in October 1996 and have no hearing in my left ear.  My last MRI was 2004 and all prior MRI's found no regrowth.  I had my doctor at the time tell me that I didn't need to have the MRI's done every year since the findings were normal.  Hopefully, I'm just freaking out for no reason and jumping the gun, but for 5 days now I've been feeling light headed and off balance, and almost like I'm drugged.  I know this could possibly be anything from vertigo to being anemic.  My question is has anyone experienced the same thing? 

Obita

Re: Surgery in October 1996. Anyone feeling this way?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:11:07 pm »
I feel that way when I have a cold.....but not normally.  I never thought of this before.......I like getting the MRI's yearly.  I don't think I will like it when he tells me I don't need them.  In 2004 did your dr. say you never need another one?  Or is it every two or three years?  I never thought to ask my Dr. how long I would be getting them.

I think I would make a call to my Doctor.  No,  I know I would call.  What Doctor wouldn't order one if you asked.  After all, you know the symptoms!!

Good Luck,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nannettesea

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:58:20 pm »
I'd go for another MRI...just to be sure.  What type  to approach was your surgery?  Some leave more room for regrowth than others.

I waited a month to have my first MRI, suffered a lot as a result.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

karenb

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 05:42:25 am »
Actually I probably am due for another MRI.  My previous doctor said I didn't need to have them yearly and honestly I can't remember how often he said I should have them.  I had my AN removed surgically.  Thanks for the replies.

matti

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 08:34:15 pm »
I had my surgery in 1998. Every so often I get a disconnected feeling that will last for several days. Kind of like I've had a few drinks. I have yearly MRI's and no regrowth.

For the  past several months I had been feeling very light headed, turns out I am severely anemic. Like you said it could be alot of other things, but I would mention it to your doctor just to be on the safe side.

Take care,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

kbh1950

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:21:56 pm »
I had surgery for 2cm. AN in 2000.  I have recently started to have numb ness in my tongue and the side of my mouth.  Also pain in my ear.  I guess I need to have an MRI.  I have changed Insurance and not sure what they will cover.  I keep hoping the symptoms will go away.  Just know that they are not normal. 

Peanut

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 11:46:09 pm »
matti, you wrote: " I have yearly MRI's and no regrowth."

Question:  is it best to have one every year, or less often once it is established there is no regrowth for several MRIs??  I've had one at six weeks post op in 2003, then one each year in 2004, 2005, and 2006.  They are more and more expensive but worth it if truly necessary.  Opinioins?

Peanut
3.5 cm AN total resection via suboccipital  April 2003 Barker & McKenna, MGH Boston one week, two weeks Spaulding Rehab
silicone punctal plugs in lower puncta for dry eye,
persistent post op head pain
Acupuncture, craniosacral treatments, Tramadol   200  reduced to 150, now 100mg. daily Feb 2007

tony

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 01:28:40 am »
Once a pattern of either no movement or very slow growth is established
annual is probably best. You could do them weekly - but with such slow growth
it might be near impossible to spot any change. Approx 2mm per year is the
average - and that can be detected; much less in time or size and
errors can creep in
which may complicate things unecessarily.
Six monthly is better immediately post- op/post treatment because the changes
or post op issues are more likely at this time - but once you have a few
"no change" in a sequence you can move to a more measured approach.
best regards
tony

Rc Moser

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 05:49:06 pm »
My doctor said after the second no-show. Come back in five years.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.