Author Topic: Questions to ask a surgeon  (Read 2563 times)

luvzmutt

Questions to ask a surgeon
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:17:07 pm »
I'm traveling to North Carolina this weekend for a consultation with Dr. Fukushima on Monday.  I have not gotten "warm fuzzies" from my doctor here in Baltimore.  I've seen him 3 times over the past year, but I don't always remember to ask all the questions I have, and I feel a bit rushed when I meet with him.  I was told that I should have a 1/2 hour in my consultation with Dr. Fukushima.

I know there are threads on the board for the best questions to ask a surgeon, but I can't find one without going back lots of pages in the forums, and I want to try to put a list together before I head down on Saturday (I will have internet access, but no computer or printer).

If someone has the thread bookmarked, or could chime in with some questions to ask, it would be much appreciated. 

~Leslie
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Questions to ask a surgeon
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:48:43 pm »
Hi Leslie .....

Here is the link to the questions I printed out and took to my appointment with Dr. Fukushima.  http://www.anausa.org/index.php/overview/questions-for-treating-physician

Dr. Fukushima is excellent and if he does your surgery at Duke Raleigh Hospital, where I had mine ..... DRH is a top-notch hospital ..... wonderful experience there.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Questions to ask a surgeon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:13:17 am »
I have not gotten "warm fuzzies" from my doctor here in Baltimore. 

Definitely a good reason to find another.  IMO, faith, confidence, and trust in your doc(s) is very, very important.

In my case, compassion, empathy, a good bedside manner, and a sense of humor (although it was hard to bring to the surface) were also required.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways