Author Topic: eat &drink  (Read 5894 times)

lee

• awareness
eat &drink
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:03:07 am »
are there any major no no's in the diet w/ a ac? thanks for anyone's feedback on this.
lee
lee
2x3mm an
symptoms:dizziness/dull headache/bell's (4 wks)subsided
steriods/waiting/another mri 8/31/06

Boppie

Re: eat &drink
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:46:02 am »
What is " w/ a ac"?.  I'd like to reply but don't understand the question.

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:38:16 pm »
Assuming you meant an acoustic neuroma, I would say there aren't really any restrictions unless common sense tells you something would make symptoms worse.  For instance, alcohol could make you more unbalanced.

It seems like getting as healthy as you can would really help your overall sense of well being. I find that I need protein in the morning to get going and have enough energy to last. 
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

lee

• awareness
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:59:10 pm »
sorry guys  - i meant an - accoustic neuroma  - it was a freudian slip because it so hot today in philly - thank goodness for ac! i was reading on another site and read an aritcle about growing tumors. the docs were saying protein speeds the growth of blood vessels which for other purposes can be very good, but it also provides food for the tumor to grow. i'm not sure what type of protein they were referring too. another article said alcholol does the same thing - speeds up the growth of your blood vessels, that's a reason it can aid in growing tumors. i will post the website where the 2 articles can be read. . . as  i don't want to discourage anyone from what they may like to eat or drink. for me i really like vino - so that will be tough to give up. thanks for your feedback.
lee
2x3mm an

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:17:31 pm »
dang it lee... I thought drinks were being served in here!  dang!

All I know is any form of caffeine can enhance headaches.... not aware of diet colas (or such) doing anything else besides packing on the pounds.

*wanders off looking for non-water down GrayGoose martini, straight up, shaken/not stirred, extra olives*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:31 pm »
I have discovered one important fact about food.  Just because only half of your tastebuds work doesn't mean you should eat twice as much food to get the whole taste.   ;D

*munching carrots while considering a return to Weight Watchers*

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 06:38:27 pm »
dang it lee... I thought drinks were being served in here!  dang!

I was looking for the snacky foods!! 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Static

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 08:21:32 pm »
Pearl,
While you are right about the caffeine causing headaches, after I had the CSF leak repaired, i was having spinal headaches and was told to drink something with caffeine in it to help relieve them.  I don't drink coffee or soda so I drank iced tea and darned if it didn't do the trick.  So as a rule I don't drink alot of caffeine but sometimes...........  you never know!
K
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

lmurray69

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 08:44:36 pm »
]hay where is the site for growig tumors
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

lee

• awareness
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 06:19:12 am »
oh my ppearl214!!!  my husband and i have cocktails 3 - 4 nights out of the week b/f dinner. does everyone in here not drink now that they have an AN? 

posting that article now! feedback on the alcholol would be appreciated as i love my vodka/tonic sitting out on our patio : (
lee
2x3mm an

lee

• awareness
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:22:11 am »
EPublic release date: 4-Apr-2006
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

cguilfoy@the-aps.org
301-634-7253
American Physiological Society

Equivalent of 2-4 drinks daily fuels blood vessel growth, encourages cancer tumors in mice
quivalent of 2-4 drinks daily fuels blood vessel growth, encourages cancer tumors in mice
SAN FRANCISCO – University of Mississippi researchers say they have created the first-ever mammalian model of how alcohol consumption spurs tumor growth, showing that even moderate drinking resulted in larger and more robust tumors.
The research provides the first mammalian model of the links between alcohol, VEGF, and tumor growth, said Wei Tan, the study's lead author. The study increases understanding of how alcohol over-stimulates production of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) -- a substance that the body needs, but which can be harmful when there is too much of it.

The new mouse model could lead to a way to block VEGF over-production, a step that could reduce the incidence of cancer and has important implications for cancer education and prevention. Wei Tan, Megan Shparago, Amelia P. Bailey and Jian-Wei Gu of the University of Mississippi Medical Center will present "Moderate alcohol intake stimulates tumor angiogenesis and expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in a mouse model," at the Experimental Biology Conference 2006, April 1-5 in San Francisco.

The study earned Tan a Caroline tum Suden/Frances A. Hellebrandt Professional Opportunity Award from the American Physiological Society (APS) for exemplary research. The presentation was part of the scientific program sponsored by APS.

*Paper presentation: "Moderate alcohol intake stimulates tumor angiogenesis and expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in a mouse model," 12:45 p.m. - 3 p.m. Monday April 3, Angiogenesis and Vascular Growth, 462.3 /board # C264. On view 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Convention Center Exhibit Hall. Research was by Wei Tan, Megan Shparago, Amelia P. Bailey and Jian-Wei Gu of the Department of Physiology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS.

Researchers develop mouse model

Unlike studies which use alcohol that would be the equivalent of high consumption in humans, the researchers gave mice a more moderate dose -- the equivalent to 2-4 glasses of alcohol per day.

Six male mice received 1% alcohol in their drinking water for eight hours each night during the four-week experiment, Tan said. The six mice in the control group received plain water. In the second week, the researchers injected the mice, both experimental and controls, with mouse melanoma. They ended the experiment after four weeks.

According to Tan, the tumors of the mice that ingested alcohol:

were nearly twice as heavy compared to the mice that did not have alcohol
showed a dramatic increase in new micro-vessels, that is, blood vessels that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as capillaries
were nearly twice as dense with blood vessels
showed a significant increase in VEGF
Alcohol long identified as cancer risk "It's very important to have a model of how to prevent cancer," and this study provides that model, Gu said. "Epidemiologists have recognized alcohol as a risk factor for cancer for 100 years," but this study examines how that happens.

The mouse study builds on an earlier study with chicks that showed alcohol consumption increased the expression of a protein known as VEGF. VEGF fuels tumor growth by spurring the development of blood vessels in cancer cells that might otherwise die.

Normally, the immune system can kill off small tumors. However, when they grow large enough the body can no longer fight off the tumor cells. This is why angiogenesis is so important, Gu said.

VEGF, a protein that stimulates formation of blood vessels, helps organ tissues grow. Unfortunately, it also aids tumors grow by helping them develop a system of blood vessels. Without these blood vessels, cancer cells that form small tumors would quickly die.

The vast majority of tumors result from over expressed VEGF, Gu explained. "Every day, we produce a lot of cancer cells, but they don't become bigger," he said. But if the cell establishes blood vessels, the tumor grows and strengthens, a process known as angiogenesis.

Cells dislike alcohol

When alcohol is consumed, it enters the cells, which attempt to eliminate it. Because it is difficult to break it down, the cells must increase metabolic activity to do that, Tan explained. But that requires oxygen, and the cells may deplete themselves of oxygen in an attempt to break down the alcohol.

This oxygen-depletion, known as hypoxia, indirectly induces production of VEGF. VEGF, in turn, stimulates the growth of new blood vessels to meet the increased oxygen demand. It is still too early to define safe levels of alcohol consumption in humans, Tan said, but she advises caution when drinking, particularly for individuals who drink every day.

"If you have risk for any kind of cancer, don't drink at all," Gu advised. For those not at risk, the occasional social drink is fine, but "I don't think 2-4 drinks per day is okay," Gu ventured. The public needs to know of these results as a tool of cancer prevention. Gu was once approached by a man on chemotherapy who asked him if it was okay to drink. The answer was a firm "no."

###
Funding: National Institutes of Health.

Editor's Note: For further information or to schedule an interview with a member of the research team, please contact Christine Guilfoy at the APS newsroom @ 415.905.1024 (March 31-April 5); or 978.290.2400 (cell) or after EB at 301.634.7253 (office) or cguilfoy@the-aps.org; or, Mayer Resnick at 301.332.4402 (cell) or 301.634.7209 (office).

Go to http://www.faseb.org/meetings/eb2006/call/ and click on "Searchable Program Planner and Itinerary Builder to find the searchable online program for EB.

The American Physiological Society was founded in 1887 to foster basic and applied bioscience. The Bethesda, Maryland-based society has more than 10,000 members and publishes 14 peer-reviewed journals containing 4,000 articles annually.

APS provides a wide range of research, education and career support and programming to further the contributions of physiology to understanding the mechanisms of diseased and healthy states. In May 2004, APS received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring.

Experimental Biology is an annual scientific meeting convened by the Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology, including the American Physiological Society (APS) and other biomedical societies. The meeting features "nominated" lectures, symposia, research presentations, awards, a job placement center, and an exhibit of scientific equipment, supplies, and publications. This year's participating Societies are APS, American Association of Anatomists, American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, American Society for Investigative Pathology, American Society for Nutritional Sciences, and the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

lee
2x3mm an

lee

• awareness
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 06:24:43 am »

this is the article on protein and tumor growth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEARCH THE GAZETTE

Molecule Links Nerve, Blood Vessel, and Tumor Cells
By William J. Cromie

Gazette Staff

A small protein that guides the assembly of a new brain has been found to be involved in the movement of blood vessels and, possibly, the spreading of cancer cells.

"The finding links together two of life's most basic processes by showing that they share one crucial protein," says Michael Klagsbrun, professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School, in whose laboratory the discovery was made. "It also has important implications for understanding how new blood vessels are guided around blocked arteries and veins, and how they penetrate and aid the growth of cancer tumors."

The critical protein, called neuropilin, prevents nerve cells from taking a wrong turn as they wire up a brain and nervous system growing in the womb. Finding neuropilin on the surface of blood vessels indicates it also may guide their growth.

"People never thought of blood vessels growing this way," says Klagsbrun. "We tended to think of them just sprouting in all directions."

Neuropilin was found on the blood vessels by Shay Soker, an instructor in surgery who works with Klagsbrun. The protein attracts and binds a potent blood-vessel growth promoter known as VEGF, or vascular endothelial growth factor. Other researchers are trying to use VEGF to grow new vessels that can carry blood around blocked arteries and veins in the heart and legs.

Conversely, VEGF can enhance the growth of blood vessels that nourish cancer tumors and it may accelerate their spread.

"It might be possible to augment both activities by manipulating neuropilin, aiding its activity on the one hand, blocking it on the other," Klagsbrun speculates.

Neuropilin, first discovered in 1989, was later found to attract another molecule called semaphorin, a member of a family of proteins that guides nerve cells to locations where they must connect with other cells for the brain to develop properly. Also known as collapsins, these proteins work by collapsing a nerve ending when it veers in the wrong direction.

A human brain, developing in the womb, eventually will contain a trillion brain cells, each of which may connect to as many as a thousand other cells. How these cells sort themselves out to assemble a thinking, feeling, instinctual brain and accompanying nervous system remained a deep mystery until about 20 years ago. Today, labs all over the world are working out the details of how chemical traffic lights, such as neuropilin, guide nerve cell fibers to an address that makes sense.

"It was an eye-opener to find that this molecule is the same one that gives blood vessels a sense of direction," Klagsbrun comments.

Isolating the Traffic Signals

Klagsbrun has studied growth factors for the past 20 years. In 1983, his lab was the first to purify a powerful protein known as fibroblast growth factor (FGF). As things turned out, FGF also does double duty as a nerve-cell traffic director and an agent to guide growth of blood vessels.

Both FGF and VEGF are now being tested in patients to see if they will speed the growth of new blood vessels around arteries that have been blocked in the heart.

Other Harvard researchers are looking at administering FGF after a stroke to limit the death of brain cells. A team led by Seth Finklestein at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston observed 60-70 percent survival of cells in animals who received FGF within four hours after a stroke. The hope is that the same thing can be accomplished in humans.

FGF and VEGF are also being investigated as a way to bypass blocked blood vessels in legs. Jeffrey Isner of St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Brighton, Mass., recently reported the successful treatment of about 20 patients.

In 1992, Shay Soker came from Israel to Klagsbrun's lab at Children's Hospital in Boston to study how VEGF binds with blood vessels. Two VEGF receptors, called KDR and FLT-1, were already known. Working with Seiji Takashima, a Japanese researcher, Soker purified a third receptor, which turned out to be neuropilin.

Yin and Yang

Klagsbrun's Harvard colleague, Judah Folkman, discovered that cancer tumors will not grow to a dangerous size without blood vessels to nourish them. As the researchers see it, tumor cells release VEGF which makes its way to neuropilin receptors on nearby capillaries, the smallest of blood vessels. That causes the vessels to grow toward, then into the tumor, providing nourishment the tumor needs to grow and spread.

That process seemed biologically logical enough. But Klagsbrun and crew then found that breast and prostate tumors make large quantities of neuropilin themselves. Why?

Klagsbrun doesn't know yet, but he thinks that by binding to tumors VEGF somehow aids the survival of tumor cells. It also may play a part in their spreading to other parts of the body.

"We're taking a yin and yang approach to VEGF," Klagsbrun explains. "For growing new blood vessels, we're studying how to enhance the union between neuropilin, VEGF, and other growth factors. To fight cancer, we want to learn how to block such unions."

In one experiment, for example, Soker engineered blood-vessel cells to contain both neuropilin and KDR. The combination more than doubled the response to KDR alone; that is, the growth and directed movement of blood vessels far exceeded what it would have been with KDR alone.

The result has started Klagsbrun looking into the question of whether malignant and spreading cancer cells contain more neuropilin than less aggressive cells.

Along with researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, Klagsbrun is also testing whether the VEGF-neuropilin combination works on brain cells and the semaphorin/neuropilin combination acts on blood vessels.

All of these experiments have to do with finding better ways to stimulate the growth of blood vessels on the one hand, or to inhibit damage from strokes and cancer on the other.

However, the most intriguing question, from the biological point of view, involves the fundamental link between the growth of nerves and blood vessels as an embryo develops. Do they both operate on the same principles and, if so, is there chemical communication between them?

"Now that we have evidence of synchronization between two basic systems in biology," says Klagsbrun, "we are in the position to learn how they may influence each other."

lee
2x3mm an

Mousiez

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 04:56:11 pm »
Um, let me see....I know, here is MY AC DIET!
(oh I WISH)
Dr. Pepper (NOT diet, fake sugar is bad for you)
Won Ton Soup(as much as you can get,it's not fun when you have to make it yourself!) Like the nice chinese lady said to my mom when she was bringing me a whinese meal in the hospital 'Won Ton cure ANYTHING' she's right!
Chinese food (NO MSG)
Truffle oil (not chocolate!) good stuff....
Japanese Arare Crackers (yes, get your soy and seaweed fix here!)
Choco Tacos (never tried one? You're missing out!!!!)
See's Candies, specifically Marshmints, if you go to page 36(or 30) whatever page has the Marshmint story in the story of See's Candies, you can see the letter I sent them after they stopped making them! I got a tour of thier plant, and the #1 card in the MArshmint Club, and was in the See's SeeBreeze newsletter for.... a long time!
And finally, on the diet, you MUST make sure to do ONE THING every time you eat....
Watch something funny,I don't care what, but do it, laughing makes things better.
I should know.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 07:01:16 pm »
I know that the "mashed potato and chocolate only" diet is great for post-surgery patients! ;D
CApt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 07:56:35 pm »
Ice cream makes your throat feel better too, and even though I'm a chocolate freak, the vanilla just tasted (for what it's worth) better!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right