Author Topic: NEWLY DIAGNOSED AND SCARED  (Read 7343 times)

lifeisgood

Re: NEWLY DIAGNOSED AND SCARED
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 10:09:45 pm »
HI,
I live in Naperville Il.  I had a 4cm AN removed when my oldest son was only 8 months old.  I know is is scary.
Feel free to call me if you want to chat.  Yours is small (good news!) and I was told that an AN is the best kind (if you want to think of it that way) of brain tumor to have.  I am 7 years post surgery.  You will be ok! I promise.  Keep reaching out.
I got pregnant with my second son 2 months after surgery. I delieved him one year after the date of my surgery.

Mary

Mary, removed your phone#. Folks can PM/email you here for contact. thanks for understanding. Phyl
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:47:42 am by ppearl214 »
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

JO ANN

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:12 pm »
I just want to thank everyone for the support, it was so valuable in knowing that I was not alone and that the results are not as grim as I had it in my mind.  I did a lot of research and I have been able to calm down for most of the day, just a little nerves now through out the day, when i think about it.

I also would like to thank Jan for the referall to Dr. Battista - I had my first appointment and he ran many tests for hearing, balance and sensations.  He was able to ease my nerves significantly.  What a wonderful Doctor, he spent nearly an 1 1/2  with me, explaining everything - and I sensed he would have given me more time, if I needed it. 

At this point, I have hearing loss, but not significant.  I had 75% word recognition and trouble hearing at the high levels.  He was so reassuring that everything would be fine, and suggested that we wait and watch.  So, I will be going for another MRI in February.

Since I have not figured out how to put an addition my signature, here are the details - 1.2cmx1.2cmx1.2cm rightside

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:26:19 pm by JO ANN »
11mmx12mm Right Side AN diagnosed 9/2011
MRI no change 2/2012

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
I also would like to thank Jan for the referall to Dr. Battista - I had my first appointment and he ran many tests for hearing, balance and sensations.  He was able to ease my nerves significantly.  What a wonderful Doctor, he spent nearly an 1 1/2  with me, explaining everything - and I sensed he would have given me more time, if I needed it. 

Jo Ann - 

it was my pleasure to refer you to Dr. Battista.  I feel very strongly that good doctors, like good lawyers, should be referred as much as possible.

Your first appointment sounds a lot like mine - doc took a lot of time explaining things, put my mind at ease, etc.  At the end of the appointment I'd lost some of that shell-shocked feeling I got when I was first diagnosed.

If you search the Forum you'll find lots of our fellow Forumites who are watching and waiting.  Mickey is the first one who comes to mind; he's been W&W for years.  You might find it helpful to read some of his - and the others' - posts.

Jan

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:00:34 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Beck3258

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 09:46:51 am »
Jo Ann I live in Island Lake right by you. I hope you are doing well. I have a daughter who was just diagnosed with NF2 so she has AN on both hearing nerves. This is very scary we are still in the w & w stage but I'm looking into doctors everywhere. She has a 2.5 on the LT and 1.5 on the RT. I cant except no hearing for her at this point she's to young and still in school. It's good to hear you have found Dr. Battista and he treated you well. We didn't have any luck with the first doctor we saw for her AN's. I will look into Dr. Battista myself I have not heard of him untill I checked out this site. If you need to chat you can email me anytime ok.....
Be Well
Becky

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »
Becky -

Battista works a lot with young people - he's the head of the Pediatric Audiology program @ Adventist Hinsdale Hospital - and I believe he's a parent of some young children himself. 

In addition to treating ANs, he also treats hearing problems of all types (he's a neurotologist).  He performed my BAHA implant - as well as hundreds before and after me.  A few years ago he did a double Cochlear implant on a toddler who was born deaf and last I heard (I met her mother and grandmother last year) she was doing wonderfully.

I think that not only you, but your daughter, will find him to be a good choice.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways