Author Topic: two steps forward 3 steps back  (Read 3931 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
two steps forward 3 steps back
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:18:14 pm »
Saturday my hearing ear ached a little ...during Church Sunday it hurt more and I told my walking buddy that she was going to have to take me to the doctor Monday when we finished our laps ... we had life group that night and me and the girls came in around 9 ... I leaned over to pick something up and there was a pop in my ear and sticky fluid came out ... pain left but so did almost all hearing ... well it left as far as it getting in through my ear ... I can hear myself talk, chew , breathe brush teeth etc ... I told the doctor that I could hear things in my head fine and he laughed til he turned around and  saw I was fixing to lose it ...

ear drum burst and I have alot of fluid and swelling inside ear... have to wait for infection to leave and swelling to go down to see how much usable hearing I will have when eardrum heals  ... the shock of suddenly not hearing unless something was right at my ear was scary ... still very muffled today but feel less pressure ...have steroid/antibiotic drops til Monday and go back for evaluation ... the tinnitus ringing in both ears is about to drive me insane ... no blocking out any of it at the present time ... doctor thinks that I should get most of hearing back and that may need to get a hearing aide ... I told Bo that I am naming 4 calves hearing aide ... our insurance doesn't pay for hearing aides past the age of 18

Walmart was nice without all the background noise ...  :) ... gotta look on bright side
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: two steps forward 3 steps back
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:10:31 am »
I've had a ruptured ear drum and know exactly what you mean about hearing the sounds inside your head. I am so sorry that you are going through this. In general I believe that the prognosis for full hearing is very good and I pray that is your result.

Take care of yourself.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:04 am »
Oh Soundy - you certainly didn't need this!  Let's pray that you get all your hearing back as it was!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »
Soundy ~

I'm so sorry to learn about this latest physical complication you're enduring.  I trust that you'll regain most of your hearing in the affected ear.  Of course, you're in my prayers and those of many others as you struggle with these problems.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:16:48 pm »
Soundy, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. Do the doctors know what caused the ear drum to rupture or is it something that can just happen? I'm sure you'll get through this and that you will regain full hearing. My prayers are with you.

Michele (Anasazi42)
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:35:53 pm »
Oy, Soundy..... hugglez..... major hugglez......  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Soundy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »
infection probably ...

no change ... have gunk draining out head ... was told that is good and that it needs to be cleared up and not get healed in ...I asked for English over doctorese and that is what I got  ... tired of muffled world but could be worse ...go back Monday ...no real reason for inflammation has been identified ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Keri

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 08:00:58 am »
It's been a week or so since you posted and I haven't been on the forum lately. Hopefully you're doing better?? How is it going?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:31:17 am »
ear drum has healed ... hearing still muffled ... doctor says probably due to scar tissue from the tear and infection ... was told that I should guard what hearing I have and that I needed a hearing aide ...I already knew that and had to pay $200 to have it told to me

don't know what is next ... have a friend that is sponsoring a deaf student from Canada that is going to the little college here in town ... she quit her job and started working with adults with disabilities about a year ago ... she is checking to see if she can find hearing aide funding for people like me who do have income but not enough to go out and buy a hearing aide

she did find a program at Sam's Club that is set up like a credit card but only good for hearing aides ... she was looking into it ... it spreads the cost out with monthly payments ...

Have I ever told you all that BC BS of Tennessee S , sucks ... kinda in frustration mode ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:33 pm »
Soundy ~

I'm sorry to learn about your hearing difficulties and I hope you can find a way to finance a hearing aid.  I have no suggestions but do search the internet for possible options.  As for BC not covering hearing aids, not that this is any solace but very few (if any) health insurance companies cover them, so it isn't just BC. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.