Author Topic: North Shore LIJ/South Nassau  (Read 3786 times)

Seamar

• Age 74
North Shore LIJ/South Nassau
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:53:25 am »
I would like to hear from those who have had consultations and/or treatment at either North Shore LIJ,  South Nassau Communites Hospital or any other facility on Long Island, NY.  I am 69 years old with a 12mmX7mm IAC AN in the left ear and serviceable hearing in that ear.  Other symptoms include tinnitus (loud hiss) along with sporadic dizziness and poor balance. I had a good consult at New York Langone Medical Center in Manhattan and I have an appointment on Monday with another doctor; however, I would like, if possible to have treatment closer to home.  I have been trawling this site since my diagnosis last January.  Last month my MRI showed a growth of 2mm in length, so it's time to do something.  Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.  I've learned a lot from you!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:55:54 pm by Seamar »
7mmx1.2cmx5mm left AN
GK 10/27/11 with  Drs Golfinos, Rush and Han @ NYU Langone Medical Center

Relax...God is in control.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: North Shore LIJ/South Nassau
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »
Hi Seamar - and welcome ~

I did not have treatment (surgery +radiation) on Long Island but I grew up there (Suffolk county).  More relevant, Dr. Jonathan Haas, my radiation oncologist in New Haven, Connecticut (Hospital of Saint Raphael) back in 2006, has since transferred his practice back to Mineola, Long Island, N.Y.  Based on my experience with him, if you choose radiation treatment, I highly recommend Dr. Haas.  Here is a link to his practice information: http://www.winthrop-radiology.com/radiation_oncology.html

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Seamar

• Age 74
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:18 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply and information, Jim!  Yesterday I saw my gyn and he advised me that this was not an appendectomy and that  I shouldn't be looking for treatment close to home but rather practicioners who have treated many AN's.  Since I am seeing such a doctor on Monday, I am going to wait and see what he has to say.  Great to meet a fellow "Lawnguylander."  You guys do a great job calming us newbies down.

Seamar
7mmx1.2cmx5mm left AN

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »
Seamar ~

Glad to have been of some help.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

teripo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:59:31 am »
I am in LongIsland and posted I went to NS/LIJ and Wintrop and South Nassau.NS said they would do 5 fractionated stereotactic treatments.I saw the Nuerosurgeon,Dr. Shoulder and the Radiologist Dr. Knisley.Seemed good enough.I then went to South Nassau[ because my cousin works there] and it is close and Radiologist there rec GK,I didnt see the nuerosurgeon there.Not impressed with GK and the head frame.Also I have some if little hearing left that I am trying to presrve.I also went to Wintrop to seeDr.Haas that was reccommened here .He was very knowledgeable and even teaches CK.He sent me to a Nuerosurgeon on his team and he recommended[Dr. Tessler] surgery.I was pretty sure I was chosing Winthrop and Dr. Haas ,but Dr. Tessler is on his team and he wasnt on the same page.I've called with my concern but didnt get a call back.??I then went to the city to Memorial Sloan Kettering and they treat alot of Cancer ,but Dr. Chan said GK.I am at a loss and I know Dr. Roland will rec surgery and he is not in my plan so I am still looking.I sent my MRI to Stanford,Boston,and PA.which rec surgery.I may see if I can get a Dr. @ NYU to do radiation as they probably see alot ANs.

Seamar

• Age 74
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32:46 pm »
Thank you for sharing your story, Teripo -- you have certainly left no stone unturned.  My case is easier.  The tumor is small and Dr Golfinos at NYU Langone recommended GK, which is what I was hoping for.  I am now waiting for a date.  I was very comfortable with both Dr Roland and Dr Golfinos.  I was looking at South Nassau because that facility is no more than 10 miles from my home, but that turned out to be of no consequence.  Manhattan is only 30 miles away.  Your information was very valuable to me in that I won't be second-guessing myself.

I wish you the best in finding the right doctor.

Seamar     
7mmx1.2cmx5mm left AN

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:11 am »
Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos removed my AN last year.  They are highly trained and seasoned professionals.  Dr. Roland is your post op care physician.  He is a very caring doctor and has always replied back to me during my months of recovery.  I had the middle fossa approach, they were able to save a lot of my hearing and my facial muscles.  I am grateful to have had them as my surgeons.  I live in NJ, but I felt it was worth having it done there. 

God Bless.

Seamar

• Age 74
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »
Thank you for your input; it means a lot to me.  I, too, find Dr Roland extremely caring and ready to answer any question.  It's good to hear of your successful outcome.

Prayers do count -- thanks!
7mmx1.2cmx5mm left AN