Author Topic: Question - facial weakness when tired  (Read 3287 times)

lamplight

Question - facial weakness when tired
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:15 pm »
Hi
Just wondering if others have noticed similar. I had surgery for a 4cm AN (right side) in June 2010 and was very lucky as I retained my facial nerve and any residual weakness has not really been noticeable since about a month after surgery. My right eye is still a little dry but not enough to prevent me wearing contact lenses.

Everythings been fine for the last year but recently have been quite stressed (fulltime work combined with part time study and thesis due in three weeks!) and have noticed in last month that the AN side of the face seems to sometimes go a bit weak. When I get up in the morning, my left eye sometimes looks more open than the right but back to normal half an hour later. Last night I was quite physically tired and found that if closing left eye, it was quite difficult to keep the right one open and harder to smile on the right side. At other times the right eye seems a little lazy with moving to focus on things, particularly close up (which is what prompted me to pay attention to these issues).

Not really worried about regrowth as I know that's very unlikely but just interest to know is this a fairly common experience - that face recovers fine but then can play up when stressed or tired?

Cheryl R

Re: Question - facial weakness when tired
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:26:42 am »
Lamplight, yes stress and tiredness do affect us and can cause what you are feeling.     It can bother balance too.    If it always will or just for a time can vary from person to person too.     You can try some massage on the face or heat and see if that helps it any or id you just need a good nights sleep.    Sometimes hard to do when going thru all you are at the moment.       Hope the thesis goes well and can see if it all lessens once that is done.              Are you putting in some eye drops maybe at bedtime to help the eye.     Might not hurt or even gel at night.
                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

VTSurvivor

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:15:54 am »
This is very typical. People that I love and count on often will ask if I am tired, and often suggest slowing down. My face always gives me away!! My paralysis is more prominent when I am tired or stressed. Usually some sleep makes it better. I would encourage you to listen to your body. It needs to be our priority even if we don't like it!! ( I have to remember that as well as I often try to push the envelope and do too much!)
4.0 cm Translab AN removal 3/2004 
12-7 anastomisis 2005
Gold Weight,
MHMH, West Lebanon, NH
Friedman and Johnson

psmix

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
Yes, the weakness is definitely exaggerated when tired and sometimes my speech will become a little slurred. And though my balance is generally good, I tend to get a little wobbly also when I'm tired.
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD