Author Topic: TV Program - "A Gifted Man"  (Read 8844 times)

Sheryl

TV Program - "A Gifted Man"
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:32 am »
Has anyone been following the new series, "A Gifted Man"?  Dr. Holt is a "gifted" neurosurgeon and last night's episode had a vestibular schwannoma patient and a chiari malformation patient.  They seem to have all their facts correct but hubby and I (who both have brain tumors) started to laugh thinking we've got this in real life, why should we be watching more of it!!!
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: TV Program - "A Gifted Man"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »
wish I had seen it, as one with vest schwannoma AND Chiari 1 Malformation..... wonder if they will repeat it... then, can see how accurate it is :)

Thanks for sharing! Hugglez to you both!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:20:14 pm »
Wow, Sheryl,

I wish I would have seen it also. Well, at least the facts were correct, and that's really important for someone who might be newly diagnosed. Thanks for keeping us informed.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »
check for the episode here:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/a_gifted_man/video/$?play=true&pid=DlIjr01op1JTCsPNqHGiZoX9_qyh4UCu
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:17:58 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:26:50 pm »
Well, there was certainly an interesting twist to the schwannoma story and I'm not sure it was realistic to operate on the young man the evening of his diagnosis. But I wish the "brainbow" was a real scan. Very pretty.

BTW the name of the episode was Separation Anxiety. I think there were several possibilities.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Sheryl

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »
Sara - yes, it was an interesting story and theory.  I'm sure they were also talking about acoustic neuroma but referred to it as schwannoma as the doc mentioned to the patient that he may lose his hearing.  Thanks for posting the link to the episode.  Since my hubby's been plagued by repeat meningiomas, we are waiting for that to show up on the series.  Doubt they'll hit on CyberKnife as Dr. Holt likes to operate  ;)

Phyl - if you have time, you can watch it on the computer - see the link from Sara.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »
How funny...I am watching this episode now (Tivo'd!) so I decided to come on here and let you all know about it...and Sheryl beat me to the punch! But yeah, follow that link saralynn posted...good stuff!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 05:07:20 am »
Phyl - if you have time, you can watch it on the computer - see the link from Sara.

Told the bloke I have to see this to see just how true it is to both diagnoses.  Thanks for the link, Sara!  Will watch!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:55:47 am »
By the way - in case you are just joining us (LOL), the story line takes on a "Ghost Whisperer" type of scenerio with Dr. Holt's x-wife coming back as a ghost that only he can see, hear, and talk to.  Got a kick out of one scene where he was standing talking to the ghost but everyone was looking at him weird - obviously because they couldn't see her - so he decides to hold his cell phone up to his ear and make believe he is talking on it!!
Sheryl

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »
Thanks for sending this.   I'm going to watch now.    I can see what you mean about not needing to watch.   It's kind of like "been there, done that"    I guess they operated on him right away because the show only lasts 30 minutes   ;D
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 06:28:45 am »
Ok, finally watched it..... and had to keep in mind "hey, it's Hollywood!"

So, original scan on young man (with only complaint of headaches and "voice" but not hearing and balance issues) noted as Vestibular Schwannoma (yes, alternate name for Acoustic Neuroma.... check ANA home website).... yet, when they performed the surgery (that night?!?! wow!), it was noted as a different growth (basically, a dermoid cyst.... I had one removed years ago) and rarely, they do grow in the brain (thus, helping this storyline):

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/sdermoid-cyst

So, that story line was certainly interesting.....

Ok, now for the Chiari 1 Malformation.......  typically (but not always), the migraines are the major indicators (as well as extremity weakness and neck issues... which were noted before the emergency procedure)... and none were noted... only back of neck issues.  When the NS performed the surgery, by opening the dura to make room and help relieve pressure (known as the "decompression" surgery for CM1 patients), he was spot on.  He was noting the the car accident aggravated her CM1, thus causing the emergency issue.  Those with CM1 do need to be very careful with head/neck... so, he was prolly correct on that one as well.  My CM1 is watched very carefully and yes, I suffer from the migraines and extremedy weakness but not have had the decompression surgery. My former coworker was found to have CM1 and did have the surgery (thanks to many here, I pointed her to Stanford Univ for her surgery -- she lives in N. CA -- and has been doing beautifully since her decompression surgery).

Good link for Chiari:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/detail_chiari.htm

So, I'm thrilled to see Hollywood come through again to show 2 very rare conditions (Chiari Malformations, from my understanding, are more rare than AN's) and good on them for doing this!

Sheryl, m'dear.... thanks for the heads up (oy, sorry for the pun!) of this episode.  :)

Phyl

Sheryl

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:05:29 am »
I think Phyl should be the consultant on this program  ;D 

BTW - doc is cute - looks a little like my doc at the Brigham in Boston (Dr. Ian Dunn)!!  The secretary's role is pretty true too - been there, done that!!

Sheryl

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 07:29:14 am »
I think Phyl should be the consultant on this program  ;D 

Naw!  Let the "other" Dr Phil do it! I didn't sleep at a Holiday Express last night..... only found the links due to coffee intake! :D  Thanks S! xoxoxoxo

amybranch

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 07:15:35 pm »
I was just diagnosed last week with a Schwannoma and awaiting an appointment with a neurosurgeon.  I'm researching as much as possible but clueless!!  I about freaked out when I turned on "A Gifted Man" and they were operating on the Schwannoma!  Whoa!!

MLB57

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:54:58 am »
 :) Hi everyone,

I enjoy watching "A Gifted Man" and of course perked up when he stated the patient had a Vestibular Schwannoma", however of course for Hollywood sake he did the surgery immediately that night which we all know is not factual--I remember having several tests prior to surgery, one being (and I can't remember exactly what it was called) a test, the results of which were needed during surgey to see how my facial and other brain nerves were responding..

Also, the tumor that was removed turned out to be part of his "twin". Now, honestly I would think that that sophisticated  brain scan he manipulated with his hands would clearly show the difference between a VS and this twin tumor.. Hollywood again..

During the surgery he mentioned that it is extremely rare (but no statistics like 1 in 100,00) but then the next thing I remember the MD was removing the twin tumor, not a VS.

Well I would have appreciated having all the facts straight..  ::) Seems, according to Phyl that the Chiara Malformation segment was more factual.

Anyway, Happy 2012 to everyone!!  ;D
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!