Author Topic: Road Trip Dale is on the move!!  (Read 5686 times)

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
Road Trip Dale is on the move!!
« on: July 18, 2006, 02:37:53 pm »
Hey all shipmates and friends,

Road Trip is on the move in the Rock Star Bus and heading for warmer climes in the Rockie Mountains.  We took our granddaughter on a 10 day trip as a refresher for me (had to make sure I could still drive this land yacht), and while we were out I accomplished a couple of firsts.  We stopped at Adventureland Amusement Park in Des Moines Iowa and had a ball.  I road the rides, including the coasters, (strange that everyone else got dizzy but I didn't weird huh?), and I got back in the pool doing my laps as before, again with absolutely no problems other than my energy level. As long as I get my nap (something I've gotten used too since the surgery) I seem to be able to keep up.   Life is GREAT and it appears I can do everything as before only in more silence, but my left side hearing is getting sharper and sharper.  Had a real great time on the 4th of July trying to figure out where all the fireworks noise was coming from.  Its been 3 months since surgery and I'm eager to motor on. 

I'll be off the forum for a few weeks until I get back in Wifi range. so congrats to Phyl (I'm truely thrilled for you) and to Capt. Deb, I'm painting almost everyday and strive to make our Capt proud.  Hopefully, I'll be at the June Art blowout in Boone next year.

See ya all on the road or on the forum in a few weeks.

Dale
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

cookiesecond

Re: Road Trip Dale is on the move!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 04:42:43 pm »
Dale,
I am so glad things are going good for you!! We love to hear good news.Take care and enjoy your trip. We look forward to hearing from you when you can.
Hugs and prayers,
Lynn

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:26:14 am »
Thanks Dale... appreciate the wishes.. AND... you are heading in the wrong direction!!!!!!!  :o  You all need to be heading towards the "good" coast!!!!!!!! :D

Safe, happy journeys! Will check up on you later!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:31:30 am »
Hi Dale.      Good thing you weren't at Adventureland a week ago Mon as a 11 yr girl was riding the Tornado and a loose board left by a worker hit her in the head.    Caused a skull fracture and then she got a blood clot which required surgery.      It showed her in the Des Moines Register and her incision was as big or bigger than some of ours.       2 others had minor injuries.      They never came out with how it happened exactly for several days in the media.   
I am 45 minutes away from Adventureland but was gone on vacation that week  while you were there.           I have come across other ANers in the DM  area and we did a lunch one time.   
                                       Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:28:22 pm »
Dale, are you talking about the Cheap Joe's Trade Show?  It's really a lot of fun and great deals on materials and an opportunity to play with new paints, pastels, papers. I get almost all my materials for the whole year there.  Cheap Joe is a really good friend of mine--he sold me my big double-masted-crank-up-and-down easel for cost after he heard about my surgery and balance problems ($1250 retail!) I hope you can make it!!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Road Trip Dale

• Frappr/dale
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 07:10:10 pm »
Hey Capt' n..  yeah Cheap Joe's Rocks!  We had intended to go this year but obviously some other problems came up!  Sooooo, maybe next year.  I order most of my stuff from Cheap Joes's or Jerry's Artarama if they send me a good discount deal.  Take care and hopefully we'll get to see you soon.

Dale
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06

Obita

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 07:35:36 pm »
Dale:

Where are you now?  I was just thinking about you as gas is $3.19 here in Minnesota.  I was whining about filling up my
35 gallon tank.  What is the Rock Star Bus tank?  420 gallons?

Have a great trip,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Road Trip Dale

• Frappr/dale
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:43:50 am »
The good wife Carol and I are cooling ourselves on the Western Slopes of Colorado at the moment.  High temps in the eighties and lows at night in the 60s.  We like to 4-wheel.  We have a tricked out Jeep Liberty which takes us up over all the big passes (altitude doesn't seem to bother the ears anymore, strange?).  The other day we were at a little over 13,000 feet and I stepped outside to take a picture and about froze to death.  Temp was 47 degrees and the wind was blowing at about 30 MPH, wind chill was brutal, expecially since I had a T-shirt on.

The Rock Star bus holds 120 gallons of the mid-easts grade A diesel.  It costs me about $300 + everytime I fill completely up.  However, I can go about 700-800 miles on a tank of fuel.

I have to go back to Kansas City for a couple of followup appointments this week, but I'm leaving Carol and the Rock Star bus here in Colorado and will drive the Jeep back (it gets a little better gas mileage ;)

Life is Great!!!!!!!!!
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 10:48:50 am »
Dale....where in Colorado's west slope?  I have family in Grand Junction!  It's beautiful over there!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 12:03:28 pm »
Dale - I love reading your posts, they always bring a smile. 

Cruisin in a rock star bus...how cool is that!!  You and Carol don't happen to pick up hitch hikes along the way, do you? ;)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Road Trip Dale

• Frappr/dale
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 03:32:42 pm »
Cheryl,

Don't normally pick up hitch hikers, but we can always make exceptions ;D

Gennysmom,

We are south of Grand Junction down by Ridgeway...Monsoon season right now in the elevations, so weather is great!!!!  We go to Grand Junction when we need to do serious shopping ;)
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:58:09 pm »
That sure is purty country out there, yes indeedy! I lived in a little place called Emma, about half way beween GJ and Aspen--I had a moment of insanity in my mid twenties and moved from the Caribbean to Colorado for a few years. I ended up in Aspen, which is where I met Jimmy, who convinced me to move back to the Caribbean!
Have a great time and am looking forward to seeing you next summer!
Hey--drive the Rock Star bus to Philly for the convention! We need a place to party!
Capt Deb 8)

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 06:00:13 pm »
Oh Yea--me and Gennysmom's gettin tatooed in Philly--ya want one, too? We're gettin' Wenchy Tats, yer can get ya a Scallywag Tat!
Capt Deb