Author Topic: Post Op Question  (Read 4443 times)

VTBunny

Post Op Question
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:01:59 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have an approximately 2.5 cm AN and I am scheduled for surgery on November 25th at MGH with Dr. McKenna and Dr. Barker.  I woke up with much reduced hearing in Feb. 2010 so I made an appt. at our local hospital and met with the ENT.  They gave met lots of hearing tests, took steroids, visited another hearing doctor and when nothing worked and hearing got worse I got an MRI in Oct. 2010.  This confirmed that I had a 1.4 cm right sided AN.  Then came a round of visits with local neurosurgeon and radiologist.  I decided to w & w.  Started getting tongue and facial numbness in spring of 2011 so scheduled a followup MRI in Aug 2011.  Tumor had grown approx. 1 cm.  Got second opinions at HEI with Dr. Friedman, John Hopkins and Dr. McKenna & Barker.  Decided to schedule surgery due to fact it is growing.  I was originally scheduled for January 5th but they offered November 25th and I felt sooner was better than later as I have had another MRI Nov. 5th 2011  and it has grown again about another 1/2 cm.

Anyways, my question is support at home.  Will I need to have anyone around daily when I go home or will I be okay by myself?  I know some of it depends on my outcome but thinking positively if I were alone most of the day would that be okay?

Any input would be appreciated.

Bunny

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Post Op Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:12:48 am »
Bunny, I think most people need daily support at least the first week.  As you have noted, a lot depends on the outcome, as well as the length of surgery and all sorts of individual factors. My surgery was so long, as was my time in ICU, that I needed a great deal of support. I don't think I could coped completely alone for at least a month....but that was me.

My personal opinion is that you will find you want some daily support for that first week at least.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:34:35 am »
Part depends on how well you walk and get around in the house and if need stairs or not.    I was alone in the day and rather glad as could nap and not bother anyone.    The first couple weeks was the most tiring.    But you need someone to make sure you aren't doing housework or cooking  and help with shower if needed etc.    I had food available too.      Part also depends on if you are on oral steroids when go home as may be more hungry and active.    I wasn't and had poor appetite at first.      I was walking ok on my own and when went outside felt off balance but could still walk on my own.               My vision was ok too as that varies for some.         My husband was home then in the evening too.               I had a few visitors but usually knew ahead when.                   We all vary and I hope it goes well for you.
                                                                                    Cheryl R       
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

judsell

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:39:07 am »
Bunny,
I just had my translab surgery 11/4 and was discharged 11/10. I did have someone at home to help me but by 3rd day at home did not feel assistance was necessary.  The assistance and the company was helpful and I wouldn't refuse it if someone offers. I don't have balance issues which was helpful. I am now at day 15 and I will probably even get behind the wheel today and do a little grocery shopping. I'll only drive a few blocks and will probably only last a few minutes in the store but it will be nice to get out. Good luck Bunny!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:04:49 pm »
Hi, VT Bunny - and welcome ~

To get right to your query: assuming you have no real post-op complications you're still likely to be fatigued and your balance may be compromised so making meals and doing housework will probably not be on your radar. You should be able to function well enough to take care of yourself and the microwave oven is a wonderful invention so, full-time help will likely not be necessary - but someone to cook (or bring you food) would be practical, although not an absolute necessity. That being the case, being alone most of the day shouldn't present a problem.  By the way: in my opinion, thinking positively (but realistically, too) is a great help to recovery.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:13:56 pm »
Bunny -

like the others, I'd say it all depends.

How mobile you are, how your balance is, how you feel in general, and what your daily routine is are all factors.

I had my mom and sister move in with me for a time to help with my kids (I'm a single parent) and it was great to have them around to take me to doctor's appointments, do laundry, cook dinner, etc.  I don't know if all docs give patients restrictions post op, but I think most do.  I was told not to lift objects over a certain weight (15 or 30 lbs, I can't recall), not to bend at the waist  (put my head below my knees), and to take it easy on the stairs for a short time.

I was very fatigued post op and wobbly and it helped to have "assistance", especially for the first week.

You don't need someone with you 24/7 if that's not doable for you, but at least have someone check with in you periodically or make sure someone is a phone call away if you need them.

Good luck with your surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

VTBunny

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:40:06 am »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the response.  My mom may come up to stay with me for a week but she is 76 and sometimes doesn't feel well herself.  She can drive however and I think it might be nice to have someone around the first week.   I am hoping that my surgery goes well with little or no complications.  However, I am realistic enough to know that everyone can't be that lucky. 

How soon in the hospital was everyone able to have visitors they could talk to?

Claudia

Bunny is my nickname but my real name is Claudia

New girl

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:26:42 am »
Hi Claudia,

I had surgery at MGH with Barker/Lee in September.   My husband and family saw me ~1 hour after surgery in the ICU.   I was very groggy that night but I was ready to chat with people the next morning.   Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.  You are in great hands!  :)

9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 12:16:47 pm »
Hi Claudia and welcome to this forum .....

You have already had good answers on need for post-op care.  I had care for the first week post-op (on first surgery, which was the most traumatic), but mainly to reduce my husband's stress level on going back to work ...... I was really fully able to care for myself.  It was wonderful to have someone cook the meals and clean up, however!

In both hospitals where I had AN surgery, the routine was the same ...... first 24 hrs in ICU, with family visitors allowed as I could tolerate ..... or stayed awake (no hard and fast rules on frequency or length).  You are pretty heavily sedated those first few hours so you will not probably care much about talking.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JAndrews

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:17:09 pm »
I needed actual physical help for the first 6 days. To get to the bathroom, walk longer distances etc...nothing major just an arm to keep my hand on. I was a little dizzy sometimes. Best wishes to you:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 06:46:30 am »
Good Morning Claudia,

Glad your Mom is coming to stay with you.  It is nice to have company after the surgery.  I had my daughter (different daughter each week) with me for the first 3 weeks.  More because I am the caregiver for my Dad (Alzheimer's).  They relieved me of that duty.     
As far as company in the hospital... one of my daughters was with me as soon as I was in ICU and pretty much stayed with me the entire time I was in the hospital (she actually was working from the hospital on her computer).  That was really nice of her to do that as I  was terrible company.  She stayed in a hotel real close to the hospital.
I also had Dr's Barker & McKenna.
Good Luck on your journey.  Thoughts & Prayers with you.....
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

alabamajane

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:54:11 am »
Good Morning Claudia and best wishes for your surgery at the end of the week,
I just had translab done Oct 27th so I am about 4 weeks out. I believe you will need help for at least a few weeks depending on how it goes.. I surely appreciated it as I did not feel like cooking anything and eating will be very important to getting your strength back.. I was not too dizzy and really able to walk in house right afterwards,, although someone to just be there during bath is helpful so you don't fall.. you will be weak and fatigued for several weeks. It also probably depends on if you are on steroids when you go home. I was and weaned off in the first two weeks,, the third week, last week, I was more fatigued than when on steroids, so that hit me hard..
I also had a large tumor, 2.8cm , and had tongue numbness and facial numbness,, I also had to have my facial nerve removed due to the tumor being so involved with the nerve.. so I had a second surgery 5 days later on Halloween, to graft a nerve to facial nerve.. that has complicated my recovery some in that my eyes don't focus real well yet although it is getting better. And the single sided deafness from the translab is something else to get used to,, but all in all I am doing better everyday.. Just posting to let you know how my journey has gone,, not to scare you in the least,, I surely hope yours goes much better and sure it will.. Best of luck to you,, enjoy your Thanksgiving.. look forward to hearing from you "on the other side"...
As for visitors, I was in ICU for 5 days and they let my husband stay with me after the first night.. my first surgery was 11 hrs so I needed rest more than visitors that night,, but by next day, I had brothers visiting during the liberal visiting hours, although I was groggy, they said I was still giving "marching orders" as to what they should be doing and not doing... hmmmm... the hospital was great about pain meds so not really in much pain at first anyway..
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

HeidiC

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:10 am »
The fatigue after the surgery is bad for many AN-ers.  I was happy to have my husband home with me for 3 weeks.  I could have used him for another week...the first few days when he went back to work were hard for me.  I do have a 5 and 7 year old to take care of so that didn't help either LOL.
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Chances3

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:56 pm »
Hi Claudia - AKA VTBunny !

Welcome to ANA, I think you already have read a lot of different replies, but it seems the over riding one is that you will probable need a little help the first week.  What I have learned is everyone has different recoveries.  One consistency I have seen with AN post operative is fatigue.  I feel confident to say, you will be tired and need rest.  See if you can line up some meals with friends and relatives, you shouldn't be doing any cooking or house work for a while - give your body a chance.  Finally, listen to your body, it will tell you what you can, and cannot do.  I have you in my prayers for a great recovery, looking forward to hearing from you again. 

God Bless.