Author Topic: Sensitive Subject - Constipation  (Read 3173 times)

jwporter

Sensitive Subject - Constipation
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:20:12 am »
First off, this forum has been very helpful. I don't know what I would have done without it! I had a 1.4 cm tumor that was removed two weeks ago. Aside from dizziness, headaches and fatigue, a big issue was constipation. I've been taking stool softeners for two weeks now and over the past few days have been taking natural remedies (flax oil, prune juice, etc.)

Well the first few times I went #2, it was like expelling rocks. Now the past two days has been a little easier, but I've had fair amount of bleeding. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheryl R

Re: Sensitive Subject - Constipation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:17:09 am »
Any pain medicine that is a narcotic type will cause constipation.     If not taking any of those then possibly the not the not eating well or drinking enough liquids can also.    The bleeding might be from hemorhoids or just irritation from the stool in the colon and rectum.     Miralax is a good over the counter powder with little taste if continue to have problems.    Senokot also.         The GI symstem was slowed down with all that went on with the surgery also.     It has been mentioned here before more than once.          Hope yours goes better now.                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jwporter

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:41:12 am »
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know it's not uncommon. I stopped the narcotics a few days ago. I vomitted so much that I had to stop. The pharmacist said that it could be narcotics mixed with the inner ear getting used to balance.

I will check out the meds, you mentioned. Thanks again!

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:49:38 am »
I`ve taken a spoon of medimucal in a cup of prune juice every morning for as long as I can remember. This with sufficient amount of liquids and enough fiber filled foods during the course of the day. Limit your red meats and binding foods and this should bring you to some type of regulatity. Best wishes, Mickey

jwporter

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:22 am »
Thanks Mickey! Yeah, I"m doing the prune juice along with the flax and it seems to be working. I hope the blood goes away soon  I told my ENT about it and he said pretty much what Cheryl mentioned. I can't stand the blood and irregularity. I'm normally a fiber freak and and I exercise too, so my body just feels so out of sync.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:50:58 am »
It can be challenging. I hope it clears up quickly.

Just in case anyone else is having extended difficulty, I share this:

I had a lengthy chat with my neurosurgeon at my last visit about this since I am still experiencing challenges nearly two years out. In my case it is likely due to the trauma and damage to the vagus nerve. This nerve is not only responsible for the enervation of the vocal cord (which my left side still suffers from some paralysis), it wanders down through the abdomen and is responsible for enervation of stomach and intestinal contractions (such as peristalsis). Lack of contractions can cause constipation.  And over-active contractions can cause the opposite.

Also, the long-term affects of a severing of the vagus can result in absorption problems, such as B12 deficiency - which I have.

Anyhow, I hope this is helpful to someone who has been uncomfortable broaching the topic.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:46:11 am »
:)

I have to chime in on this one.....

Please see this thread:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=1149.0

I started that thread, when I was treated back in 2006, for this exact reason... potty patrol as I lovingly called it.  Everyone chimed in with suggestions, humor, experiences, etc.  It may be worth checking out as I can report that the remedies did work. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:27:04 am »
Just one more thought,, (I am 5 wks out from surgery),, I stayed on the stool softener for about 4 wks and have just cut back,, I took one twice a day and it seemed to soften mine considerably. You may want to use some preparation H cream also for the bleeding/hemoroids as that really helped me also in the beginning,, (I am NOT a Dr just relating my experience here)..I was on "ferrous" or iron pills along with a vitamin C tablet twice a day for anemia and found out that iron pill was very constipating too as I thought it was just the loratab,, so I quit taking them both!! just in case you were sent home on meds of this sort... along with what you are doing and plenty of liquids and fiber,,and getting some of the anesthesia and "hospital" meds out of your system, maybe you will soon feel much better,, hope so..good luck in your continued recovery!
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26