Author Topic: Don't be fooled by Johns Hopkins USN&WR rating.  (Read 4987 times)

ld_runner

Don't be fooled by Johns Hopkins USN&WR rating.
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:59:03 am »
Talk to JHU patients before considering this hospital for an surgery.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Don't be fooled by Johns Hopkins USN&WR rating.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:41:17 am »
Hi Runner... welcome.

Can you please elaborate a bit on this statement you made? I'm sure others here, that are contemplating micro-surgery, would love to know why the statement was made.

Can you please share more info?

thanks!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Derek

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:24:50 pm »
Hi Phyl...

If you access the previous posts of 'runner'...it becomes a little clearer.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:17:21 pm »
Hi Phyl...

If you access the previous posts of 'runner'...it becomes a little clearer.

Regards

Derek

Hi Derek and thank you! I did check the previous posts and knowing each situation is so very special and individual.... I was hoping to learn more about the situation that would have brought on such a outcome.  I'm sorry Runner's outcome did not turn out as he hoped and how his dr had noted... and I always try to remember that dr's are certainly not "gawds" and such. Just not sure of Runner's being sticky, brain stem twist, location, nerves snapping, etc... that is only reason I asked... in hopes that others here prepping for micro-surgery could learn from it as well...

I really appreciate your reply to me.. have a fabulous weekend!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Derek

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 06:08:56 pm »
Hi again Phyl...

Sorry if I was a wee bit naive with my post... your 1153 posts to my 9 should have given me a clue that you had probably accessed the previous posts of 'runner'.

Just whilst I'm on here...I am fairly new to posting on the internet but on a serious note I have to say that finding this website very recently has been of tremendous help to me re the advice and information that is constantly being exchanged....there is no site quite like this in the UK.

I also appreciate the prolific good humour and wit which is very welcome. I never thought I would end up having many a good laugh about one of these nasty 'boogers' (as you call it) in my bonce!

Your posts are an absolute tonic Phyl and it is very evident that you are a person who cares a lot for others particularly those that are newly diagnosed, fearful of the unknown, and in need of compassion and practical advice. You and fellow 'wenches' Captain Bev and Battyprincess are very much appreciated by all and long may you continue to contribute.

Keep dishing out those 'huggles' and if you have any spare ones...send me a couple please.

Very Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 07:00:10 pm »
Hi Derek and welcome

You're settling for just huggles (as wonderful as they are)  you aren't totally huggled until you receive a "beanie fart'.  It's part of the healing process.  I'll leave the explaining to Phyl. <g>

Sending hugs and good thoughts your way
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Derek

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:16:53 am »
Hi Raydean...

Thanks for that response afterwhich I accessed your historical posts and can now fully appreciate that you are indeed another outstanding 'wench' and that you and Chet have had one hell of a long AN journey. I was humbled by those posts and consider myself very fortunate that I have a choice of treatment for my tichy little 2cm wart!

Thanks for those hugs and good thoughts...they worked instantly...and I cannot imagine what the explanation of a 'beanie fart' will be???

Derek

ld_runner

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 07:46:25 am »
I'll elaborate a little. I know everyone's experience is different, yada yada yada... But, just for those who want a subjective patient's view I have an opinion on Hopkins. About 1 year before my diagnosis, a co worker was diagnosed with a fairley large AN.  He went to Hopkins, as many of us here in MD do, because of the reputation. Without going into to too much detail, because of post-op medication errors, he almost didn't make it out of Hopkins.  When he did come home he was left with many of the problems we hope to avoid, severe facial paralysis, swallowing problems, etc.  About 1 year later I was diagnosed with a 2.5cm (+-) AN. (the odds of this happening are not lost on me) Figuring his case was an anomoly and again relying on other docs referrals I made the mistake of going to Hopkins.  I considered radiation and surgery and interviewed docs from both departments.  I've had better experiences buying a used car. Again without boring you with the details, the radiation docs said the surgeons would scar me for life and the surgeons said the radiation docs would give me brain cancer.  I began to have one moment of clarity...these AN surgeries are a cash cow.  Fairly safe to perform, but very expensive. I elected surgery mainly because of fear of the "C" word. I guess the surgeons knew this was a slam dunk. Anyway,  my results were the same: total hearing loss on the right side, right side paralysis...you know the drill.  While in the elevator one day after visiting me, my wife talked to the husband of another AN patient at Hopkins.  He told her his wife had had surgery the same day I did and had completely lost her ability to swallow post op. Aftercare from the dept of neurosurgery was an interesting experience. A couple enlightening anecdotes follow.  The dept. head advised me the only solution to my inability to close my right eye was stiching the eye shut.  He then laughed when I said I had discovered that wearing swim goggles in the shower kept shampoo out of my eyes. He seemed shocked by the results and had no real solutions to offer. About 1 year later (2004), after doing research on my own, much of it on the old ANA site, I came up with some ideas on my own.  I had an Opthomoligist insert a gold weight in my eyelid and tighten up the lower eyelid. I went to the University of MD Hospital in Balt. where I had a great surgeon from the Oto. Dept perform a hypoglossal nerve graft and a facial sling.  These have given me some slight movement, much more tone and an ability to close my eye.  I am aware that these experiences are subjective and there are probably Hopkins success stories out there.  I just haven't heard them.  That's about it.

Raydean

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
Id_Runner

Thanks for re posting. (thruthfully unlike some others I can't figure how to bring up past posts) so I really appreciated your reposting.

I was wondering were all three case treated by the same doctor?  A couple of things that I've noticed over the years is the importance of good communication with the doctor prior to surgery so you're both on the same wave length and have the same goals. A patience's top priority may be facial preservation.  The patient may  be very willing to have some tumor lefted in, knowing that at a later date follow up treatment may be needed if it preserved the facial nerve.  The Doctor's top priority may be total tumor removal.  With two seperate goals, there may be 2 different outcomes.  Waiting till you're under and unable to speak for yourself is not the best time for the issue to come up.  The importance of sharing your priorities with the doctor and having this information in your medical file is important.  It'll speak for you, when you aren't able to.

Id_Runner, many (not all) on the forum have noticed that some doctors tends to distance themselves
from patients with outcomes.  Almosts seems that at a time when we need them the most, they distance themselves or put up walls. Maybe it's part of the Dr. God complex.  Like yourself we also had to transfer medical care for the outcomes to a different team of doctors in order to move forward with the issues.  I wish I had the answers to this.

I'm glad that you found Doctors that were able to help with the outcomes.  Sounds like you've gone the distance with the AN.

Know that you're in our thoughts.
Raydean
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 04:43:03 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 11:23:09 pm »
Derek... I am VERY humbled by your words.. thank you... I'm only being "me"... and yes, the Beanie healing farts are brutal. You all get the healing powers they have, but I have to live with windows wide open! :)

I really appreciate the kinds words... and it's great to see you out here.

Phyl
Cruise Director extraordinaire... I think. :)

Hi again Phyl...

Sorry if I was a wee bit naive with my post... your 1153 posts to my 9 should have given me a clue that you had probably accessed the previous posts of 'runner'.

Just whilst I'm on here...I am fairly new to posting on the internet but on a serious note I have to say that finding this website very recently has been of tremendous help to me re the advice and information that is constantly being exchanged....there is no site quite like this in the UK.

I also appreciate the prolific good humour and wit which is very welcome. I never thought I would end up having many a good laugh about one of these nasty 'boogers' (as you call it) in my bonce!

Your posts are an absolute tonic Phyl and it is very evident that you are a person who cares a lot for others particularly those that are newly diagnosed, fearful of the unknown, and in need of compassion and practical advice. You and fellow 'wenches' Captain Bev and Battyprincess are very much appreciated by all and long may you continue to contribute.

Keep dishing out those 'huggles' and if you have any spare ones...send me a couple please.

Very Best Regards

Derek

ld_runner

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 08:27:20 am »
Thank you for your interest Raydean.  There were at least  two different  teams of docs involved.  I'm not sure of the details of the lady whose husband talked to my wife.
I wish that it was a miscommunication of goals or priorities, unfortuunately I know better.  I tend to suspect the greed with which these groups of docs pursued this surgery, which led them to say virtually anything to influence my decision.