Author Topic: During surgery, are we all the way under?  (Read 9413 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
During surgery, are we all the way under?
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »
Hi.  Does anyone know or have personal
Experience regarding how far down do we really go.
We heard that I might be brought to a twilight
Level during surgery to respond to requests to blink, purse
Lips.  I want the real truth my friends!
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Peter325

Re: During surgery, are we all the way under?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36:55 pm »
As far as I know you are under for the duration of the surgery but I haven't personally experienced it yet. I have heard of other brain surgeries where you are conscious or semiconscious for part or all but I don't think they do that for AN's.
Diagnosed May 2011 with a 2.8 x 2.6 x 2.5 cm right side AN - Surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on Oct 9th, 2012 - SSD and some minor balance issues - no noticeable facial weakness.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:14:13 am »
AN surgery is done under general anesthesia. You will be all the way out for the duration of the surgery!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:05:48 am »
Stephanie .....

I am not a doctor, but I have never heard of anyone having surgery for an AN who was not totally under general anesthesia for the procedure.  Some patients for treatment of other brain disorders, such as Parkinson's are partially awake to respond to commands ..... but this is not necessary during AN surgery.  Your auditory and facial nerves (and possibly the trigeminal nerve) are monitored via electrodes on the exterior surface ..... along with all of your vital signs being monitored.  You will be totally unaware of any of it from arriving in the surgery room until you are in recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:52 am »
I was totally out.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:57:24 am »
Hi Staretsfoote,

Having surgery made me very interested in the brain and brain surgery.  I'm not a doctor, and I could be wrong, but surgery for an AN never involves actual brain matter.  From what I have learned, the only time it could involve brain matter is if the tumor has grown quite large.  Having said all of that, I have read and seen on television where a person who has had brain surgery that involved going into brain matter was kept awake.  However, from what I have learned about the removal of an AN, the patient is knocked out !  I was sedated for about 6 hours, and wouldn't want to be awake for something like that.  I hope that answers your question.

nann

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
I was worried about the same thing, so asked my doc, he sorta laughed and assured me I would be totally out. And I was knocked out completley.

JAndrews

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:08 pm »
you are completely out! there is no need to keep any kind of awakeness for this type of surgery.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Archer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:42:48 am »
The last thing I remember before they put me out is the beautiful blue eyes of the girl (Dr. or nurse??  Didn't matter to me at the time.) holding the mask over my mouth.  A minute later I recall a nurse hollering at me to wake up.  I'd been in surgery for 8 hours and I'm pretty sure I was all the way out.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:42:16 am »
I guess anesthesiologist's protocol must be very different in different medical centers.  I do not remember having a mask over my face for a surgery in a long time.

On this last AN surgery, the team in the surgical suite were very professional but very aware of me as a person ..... joking with me as they completed the prep stuff.  Just before I drifted off (via IV administration) one of them said "Well, time to take a little nap."

When I woke up a nurse was there but very calmly saying "Surgery is over but don't try to open your eyes, you will feel better."  Apparently I had already tried to open them.

I'm sure there are lots of variations on going to sleep and waking up.

Clarice

Archer

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:47:20 am »
I guess anesthesiologist's protocol must be very different in different medical centers.  I do not remember having a mask over my face for a surgery in a long time.

On this last AN surgery, the team in the surgical suite were very professional but very aware of me as a person ..... joking with me as they completed the prep stuff.  Just before I drifted off (via IV administration) one of them said "Well, time to take a little nap."

When I woke up a nurse was there but very calmly saying "Surgery is over but don't try to open your eyes, you will feel better."  Apparently I had already tried to open them.

I'm sure there are lots of variations on going to sleep and waking up.

Clarice

I don't think they used the mask continuously.  I do remember her saying as she placed the mask " this is going to help put you to sleep now."  Then when I didn't go to sleep right away, she said "remember, you need to breath for this to work".  I guess I wasn't breathing deep enough for the gas to work like it should.  One deep breath after that and I was out.  Anyway, I know I was intubated for the surgery and don't believe the "gas" was used for the whole procedure.  I just assumed it was used to help me go under while they prepped for surgery.

They used a mask when I was anesthsetized for my last MRI as well.  I know they used something in the IV line too.  Again, they intubated me for the MRI.  I guess I was in the tube for three hours.  I would have been absolutely crazy if they hadn't put me out.  Extremely claustrophobic.  And once again, loud questions and sternum rub to get me to respond as I was coming to. 

Different protocols, as you say.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »
For the newbies on here, I have to say I think your situation must have warranted something very unusual from the norm.  I have had numerous MRIs and most were 45 minutes in length (with a break in the middle to administer the dye).  I did have one MRI for my back that was 90 minutes long, but that was because they actually did two separate tests one after the other.

I have never been anesthetized for any MRI either.

Just did not want new people to think this was automatically part of the process to be anesthetized for MRIs (at least not where I have gone ..... in the United States).

Clarice

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »
Thank you all.  I do not want to be awake or even gasses
For that matter.  I am scheduled for translation Jan
25 at House Ear Institute.  I just want everything
To be ok.  I get pretty freaked out every so
Often.  My ear feels fuller...but I know I shouldn't
Feel it getting bigger since my diagnosis on
Nov 18.  Glad people understand this whole
Situation we are all going through at various levels.
Anyone else a singer or musician here? 
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:59:49 pm »
Knocked right out! For the full 15 hours and then some, woke up around noon the next day on the ventilator! Last thing I remembered was then starting an IV (apparently I fainted at the sight of it......some nurse I am eh?)
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

schmidtkat

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 10:17:45 am »
Hi Stephanie,
I had my AN surgery with the doctors from the HEI in September of this year. From my experience I would have to say you are in excellent hands. Whatever questions and fears you may have regarding any part of the prep., surgery and post-op will be addressed as you present these issues to your team. They are AMAZING. A piece of advise from my anesthetist which I will share with you...clear your mind, be at peace, use zen, pray or whatever gets you to a happy and relaxed state...whatever your mindset going in to surgery will be what you come out of it with. That was very reassuring to me and it worked. I felt at peace entering the surgical room and the same when I awoke.
My experience included no gas mask. I drifted off to sleep very easily with the IV injection and awoke to an outstanding nurse by my side giving me comforting advice to keep my eyes shut and just rest.
I hope and pray for your successful proceedure and healing journey.
Kathy