Author Topic: Ear Fullness  (Read 9544 times)

hamid

Ear Fullness
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:35 pm »
Hi,

I am male and 43.I don`t have AN  at now but I am under monitoring for AN.my problems are Ear Fullness at right ear and asymmetric Sensorineural hearing loss at same  ear (about 20 DB at 4000 - 8000 KH ).I  must do audiology test again 6 months later. I don`t have always ear fullness... sometimes I have it for example at mornings and evenings . my question is do you have had ear fullness always and all times and permanently or like me sometimes ? I could not found this issue on net. I do worry about having AN.thanks for your good forum.sorry for my bad  english.

Chances3

Re: Ear Fullness
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »
Hi Hamid,

Welcome to ANA, you can find a great deal of answers here.  Have you had an MRI to determine you do not have a AN ?

frenchjoey

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:57:34 pm »
Hello,
I used to have it only in the mornings before I even suspected I could have an AN. Now of course I have it most of the time.

But honestly I'm sure a lot of other things cause ear fullness besides ANs. If you're really worried you should check with an MRI.
Let us know
Joey

hamid

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »
Thanks for your posts

one doctor who is general practice recommended me to do MRI .I was going to do it but my ENT believes at my situation MRI  doesn`t show anything and it should be better to monitoring my hearing loss.

I found this links
Sensorineural Hearing Loss Algorithm
http://drdavidson.ucsd.edu/Portals/0/Pathway/HearLoss.htm
Asymmetrical hearing loss
www.racgp.org.au/afp/200805/200805prasad.pdf
Ear Fullness: Causes
http://www.bettermedicine.com/articl...ullness/causes

I myself believe no one of the causes of fullness matches with me unless AN.

mk

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:42 pm »
Welcome,

how can your ENT know that an MRI won't show anything? If they can't find any other obvious cause for your symptoms (like for example an ear infection, fluid in your ear etc). the MRI would be the only conclusive way to rule out an AN. Some ENTs are not very familiar with ANs and are quick to rule them out (or they don't even consider the possibility). I would take your GP doctor advice and ask for an MRI (with contrast).

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

hamid

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:00:08 pm »
I wonder also

My ENT  says I don`t have many symptoms of AN...and fullness and 20 DB hearing loss is not enough for suspecting AN  and doing MRI.but in this article
 Asymmetrical hearing loss
www.racgp.org.au/afp/200805/200805prasad.pdf
it says ASNHL(asymmetric Sensorineural hearing loss)  may  be only presenting symptom of a vestibular schwannoma or an intracranial tumour. also it says:
ASNHL is defined as binaural difference in bone conduction thresholds of >10 dB at two consecutive frequencies or >15 dB at one frequency (0.25–8.0 kHz)
correct link of the article( Ear Fullness: Causes) is
http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/ear-fullness/causes

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »
Hi, Hamid - and welcome ~

I'm sorry you have to deal with these medical problems.  In my experience of reading thousands of posts from AN patients posting on these forums, I have noted that sometimes ENT's are not always the best judges of whether or not a patient has an acoustic neuroma.  Some of our members wasted a lot of time with their ENT treating ear problems that didn't exist when the actual culprit behind their hearing loss and/or feeling of 'fullness' in the affected ear was actually a growing acoustic neuroma.  This is not to disparage ENT physicians, most of whom are knowledgeable and dedicated to their patient's well being.  However, ANs are fairly rare and in some cases, an ENT can practice for many years without encountering a patient with an acoustic neuroma, making an acoustic neuroma something they simply don't consider until every remedy they try to address the patient's hearing loss, fails.  Meanwhile, the AN can continue to grow. 

I'm not a doctor and will not attempt to second-guess your ENT's decision not to order an MRI for you.  However, if your symptoms (fullness) persist and your next hearing test indicates further loss, I would strongly suggest that you consider insisting your ENT physician order an MRI for you - or find another doctor, who will.  This is your health we're discussing and you should be pro-active in caring for it.  Of course, I hope that you don't have an acoustic neuroma - but if you do, the sooner it is found, the better. 

Oh, and your English is fine.  :)

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mojwri54

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »
Insist onMRI.  I had hearing and fullness of the ears first for years. The ENT only wanted testing. My medical doctor (which I do not see now) never did MRI or anything.  Then my tongue on right side got numb then my check like novacaine the doctor acted like it was all in my head (yes it was but not the way he meant).  Get this I went to my denist thinking ok this part maybe dental, he said no it was something else he sent a note to my doctor to do a MRI.  Low behold the same day I get call back what I had and it was large, less then 1 month I had an operation.  They had to leave a small part in because they couldn't get it all safe. 2.5 years it start growing and this August I had Cyber Knife radiation.  I have I checkup Feb (hope not bad weather then)

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:36:54 am »
I have noted that sometimes ENT's are not always the best judges of whether or not a patient has an acoustic neuroma.  Some of our members wasted a lot of time with their ENT treating ear problems that didn't exist when the actual culprit behind their hearing loss and/or feeling of 'fullness' in the affected ear was actually a growing acoustic neuroma. 
Jim 

This was the case with me. I was misdiagnosed for 7.5 years.

Hamid, many people with an AN only have one symptom. ANs often first "present" with hearing loss and occasional fullness in the ear and no other symptoms. The only way to tell if you have an AN or not is to get an MRI with contrasting agent (gadolinium, which makes the tumor appear white and therefore easier to see in an MRI).

You need to find out what's going on with you, Hamid. Find a doctor to order an MRI for you.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:02 pm »
Fullness in my AN ear was one of my symptoms; diminished hearing was another.  My fullness was present all the time though; it did not come and go.

Although there are several common symptoms of an AN, not everyone has them or has all of them.  Sometimes small ANs cause lots of symptoms and large ANs cause few symptoms. 

I'd insist on an MRI.  Lots of people are misdiagnosed for years because they don't have an MRI.  And an MRI is the only way to diagnose - or rule out - an AN.  Make sure you get one with gadolinium contrast.

Please keep us updated.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 05:45:03 am »
I had hearing loss over a period of several years. I thought it was just part of growing older. I had dizzy spells and went to an ENT. He said nothing was wrong was with my ears. After about 3 years, one ear started to feel full and I started to get horrible dizzy spells. An MRI showed an AN on my right side.

Your english is very good. Keep writing and let us know how you are. My prayers on this Christmas morning are with you.

James

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:37:59 am »
The fullness sensation in my ear happened only every couple of months and would last around one to four days. Just another example of how the symptoms can happen at a different frequency (or not at all) for each person.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

hamid

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 03:08:33 pm »
Thank you all.I want to do audiology test or maybe MRI at May  2012.I will inform you certainly.