Author Topic: Mid fossa next week  (Read 17249 times)

lizzie1hoops

Re: Mid fossa next week
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 07:30:13 pm »
Your positive attitude is inspirational, Clarice.  Thank you for the additional details.  I'm sorry you had to go through that whole process twice!

Lisa - the largest measurement is 11mm (I regret to say I can't remember the others).  There has been approximately 60% growth in the 6 years I've been watching and waiting so it was very small when it was discovered.  I've been having worsening symptoms and wanted to get the surgery over with, but I can definitely relate to what an unbelievably difficult and personal decision this is.  I'll be glad to keep you posted and reflect on the whole thing from the other side in case that's helpful.

Thanks again all, great to know you're out there (even though I wish none of us were here really!).

Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

JAndrews

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »
I didn't have any nausea. A little dizzy after I would walk for a while. I would hold onto the rail on the hospital wall because I didn't want to fall. The only time the dizziness would freak me out was when I turned my head or body to fast. Stairs did bother me for a few weeks. Not going up them but coming back down. The more aware you are of your surroundings and you will learn quickly what makes the dizziness increase and avoid doing it...you will be fine. It goes away over time. I don't think the middle fossa approach is what causes the fatigue....all brain surgery under sedation for that many hours can cause fatigue. I did have a problem with fatigue for many months.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:26 pm »
Thanks for your post JAndrews (I'm never quite sure how to refer to people based on their profile names :)).  I know that feeling of getting dizzy when you're really tired, did you have that pre-surgery too?

I'm just back from getting pre-op blood work and a CT scan done in the run up to my surgery.  How I wish we could all ditch the MRI in favor of CT scans!  What a walk in the park!

I'm trying to think of the best way for my husband or mom to update this forum.  Should they start a new thread or continue this one?

I hope you're all well,
Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:28:08 pm »
Hi Liz ......

Many thoughts and prayers!

Your husband or mom could just post onto this thread, using your Username and password ..... or start a new thread for your post-op time, whichever is easier for them.

Best wishes!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »
Hi Liz,

I was suffering from severe vertigo attacks - complete visual spins that lasted 2-3 minutes but felt like an eternity.  The attacks increased in frequency every 5 to 8 days. An MRI showed the growth - mine was small, but I didn't have the ability to wait.  I chose the procedure and didn't even have second thoughts.

You will be fine, so just relax these next few days.  I will keep you in my prayers for this week.

God Bless.

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 02:38:20 pm »
Liz, sending you support and the biggest prayer for your surgical team as you  ;Dgo courageously forward now! :D
Steph
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

lizzie1hoops

Re: Mid fossa tomorrow!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 05:44:38 pm »
Thank you, Steph!!  I think I'm mostly all set for the big day, I've got a whole bunch of things suggested by all the wonderful members of this forum.  I'll admit to thinking "hmm, what if I just continued to wait?"  December me would not have had any of that kind of thinking!  Not sure I'll get much rest, but here's hoping.  I'll make sure my husband or my mom updates you all on how it's going.

Here goes nothing!
Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »
Liz
You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Will be looking forward from hearing from your husband on your recovery.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

JAndrews

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:34 pm »
I didn't have any dizziness prior to surgery or my diagnosis. But when I consulted at the Mayo Clinic they had me do a walking/balance test....I almost fell over! The doc said my body had adjusted to the balance issue being caused by the tumor and that I had not even noticed it. Good luck to you and best wishes and prayers being sent your way for a successful surgery and smooth recovery! BTW, my name is Julie Andrews---the nurse..not the actress:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »
So if your balance is horrible before surgery does that mean you already compensated? Or does it get worst after surgery?   
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 11:27:52 am »
Hi y'all
This is Liz's husband posting on her behalf—I hope i did this correctly!

Liz was just wheeled into the O.R.
The surgeon (Dr. Backous [sp])estimated that they'd be done in around 3.5 hours, so I'll probably repost then.
She's healthy and is in great spirits. Everyone is very positive. Thanks for everyone's warm thoughts, support, and positive energy.

—zach—
5x6x11mm right sided AN.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:41 am »
Thanks for posting. We are all looking forward to hearing your future posts. She is in our thoughts and prayers.... :D

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
all sewn up!
I just spoke with the surgeon. Lots of good results:

• They removed the tumor completely
• the nerve monitor on facial function was excellent
• the monitor on hearing function tested at the lowest possible setting—There's a chance that hearing loss could still occur in the next few hours as the healing begins but initial results are great.

She'll be moved to the ICU shortly where I'll be able to see her in the next hour or so.
recovery begins today!
5x6x11mm right sided AN.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »
Zach such GREAT news. Please tell Lizzy that we are all here waiting for her return.  ;D Very happy for the great news.

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 04:55:49 pm »
Zach,
Very glad to read about Liz thus far.  Thinking and praying and so proud of her fr couragiously going forward.  Thanks for posting.
Stephsf
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!