Author Topic: Improved balance after surgery ?  (Read 5542 times)

ncbj

Improved balance after surgery ?
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:31:15 am »
Hi,

Another newbie !

Diagnosed feb 2011, AN 8 mm. On WW. Second MRI next month.

Initial symptom: heavy vertigo. It lasted for app. 3 weeks. No vertigo anymore. However, daily balance issues: dizzy when visiting the supermarket, have to focus on the ground a few meters ahead when biking and walking. In addition to that my hearing is deteriorating (using hearing aid), I have tinnitus and I am frequently very tired. It seems to be a quite generic pattern for AN-patients.

I just wonder if any of you have experienced improvement in balance after microsurgery ? I have often read that there is no problem only having a "balance system" in one side - of course after a period. I am just hoping that the balance issues I have now is due to "noise" from the affected ear. Is it to naive ??? It is also a widespread statement that surgery can only stop deterioration - not improve your situation.

Niels

LakeErie

Re: Improved balance after surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:48:23 am »
I had surgery Oct 6 for a 4.7 cm tumor and now, at 13 weeks, have improved balance. My ability to feel comfortable when upright, and when walking, has slowly improved on an almost weekly basis. I can now easily walk several miles outdoors at a reasonable 15 minute mile pace with normal head movements. My surgeon told me on day 2, at discharge, that I would be back to running at 3 months which is important to me as I have done it daily for decades, and for my health as I have both asthma and hypertension.
My recovery was delayed temporarily by a CSF leak that kept me inactive until it resolved itself in about 2 weeks, and by a case of bronchitis contracted who knows where. Without those complications, I believe I would be further along the recovery route, but I am very satisfied with the
balance status at this point.
My surgeon believed the tumor was so large that my vestibular system was compensating all along for years before the surgery, so there would not be a difficult adjustment to losing the nerves themselves. My balance is better than pre-surgery. Hope this helps.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »
Hi, Niels, and welcome ~

Most AN surgery patients do experience some improvement in their ability to balance, following surgery.  It depends on how much the vestibular nerve has been compromised by the tumor prior to surgery and if the brain has compensated for the loss of input.  If the nerve is still partially operative, the brain will receive confusing signals and that will precipitate a loss of equilibrium.  Following AN removal surgery, the patient will need to undergo some balance therapy in order to re-gain a relatively normal sense of balance, although it won't be exactly as it once was (pre-AN).  In some patients (I was one of them) the vestibular nerve has been so badly damaged by the growing tumor that the brain stopped receiving signals some time ago and has already (mostly) compensated, so re-gaining balance is fairly simple and rapid.  Again, my balance is not 100% of what it was prior to my AN but it is quite serviceable.  From the information you offered, I'm guessing  that you should re-gain most of your balance ability fairly soon.  Running shouldn't pose too much of a problem, once you get back into it.  Some of our members that underwent AN removal surgery have run marathons within a year of their surgery.  I'm not a doctor and can't offer any guarantees but with some luck, determination and practice, you should be back to your running regimen fairly soon.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »
Surgery or no surgery, your body will learn to compensate from a compromised (or detroyed) balance nerve.

Vestibular exercises and/or physical therapy can definitely help.

Compensation may not be 100%.  For example, I still have slight balance issues when walking on uneven surfaces, when it's dark outside, and when I'm fatigued or stressed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

germangirl

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:41:53 am »
Hi niels,

sorry to hear that you are also "in the club" .

maybe you are interested in the topic we are currently discussing under "Balance issues": "wonky head because of preserved branch of vestibularis"

It is about wether it is more useful to cut the whole nerve or leave -if possible - one root.

I know it is not easy to digest all these information and make your decisions prior to surgery.

I wish you all the best and a "clear head"

germangirl
AN left side, 1x1x1 cm,treated by retrosigmoid microsurgery 09/2009 in germany with one branch of vestibularis preserved.
since then: wonky head problems, oscillopsia, fatigue,  hearing problems, tinnitus, hyperacousis, facial nerve (only sligthly affected)

ncbj

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »
Thanks for your kind replies.

I guess that it cannot be ruled out that balance can improve. However, Jim and LakeErie had AN's much larger than mine. Don't know whether that is important.

For the time being - after almost a year - I would say that I have adapted quite well to the situation. As mentioned I am able to ride bike and actually do some running (it requires 100% attention from my side) even though I prefer solid ground under my feets and bike and I need to focus on the ground in front of me. It is the dizziness - e.g. when shopping - and tiredness which really is affecting, among other things, my job performance (I work one day per week from my home which is not optimal for a management position in the financial service industry) and my general well-being. I have a strange feeling in my head - especially after a long day with many meetings.

In reality, I guess that I should not expect balance to improve much. And hope for the contrary. But could the hope be an argument for asking for a surgery even if it turns out not to have grown when I get my next MRI ... that's my dilemma.

I think, however, that germangirl's reference to the other topic is relevant too. I will look there as well - there is just so much information you need to gather !!

In many texts I have seen the expression "wonky head". Anybody who can give an explanation ? I can't find it in my dictionary :o)

Niels

germangirl

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:38:26 am »
Hi niels,

Difficult to explain, that is also a problem when sitting infront of a dr...

Maybe this threads give you an idea:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=10472.msg120608#msg120608

Best regards
germangirl
AN left side, 1x1x1 cm,treated by retrosigmoid microsurgery 09/2009 in germany with one branch of vestibularis preserved.
since then: wonky head problems, oscillopsia, fatigue,  hearing problems, tinnitus, hyperacousis, facial nerve (only sligthly affected)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »
I'm well over a year out of sugery. I still have balance issues. I did climb a ladder to my roof to check my dtv dish today. When walking toward the edge of the roof to climb the ladder back down. My butt puckered.

I use my eyes to tell my brain if I'm balanced or not. Dark room that I can't see in is a nightmare.

My ballance was real bad right after surgery. But it did come back faster than I thought it would.

I regret that I won't be buying a motorcycle anytime soon. But others on these forums have gone back to riding bikes. Peddle and motor bikes. One guy is a surfer. So you have hope.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?