Author Topic: CK at Stanford w/ Dr. Chang  (Read 3141 times)

Richard_T

CK at Stanford w/ Dr. Chang
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:14:12 pm »
Well all,  I'm next.  I have CK at Stanford next week.  Please wish me luck. 

I really felt for Francesco and the aggravation of his symptoms.  I really don't want to go thru that much vertigo, balance and other lesser symptoms.  He described on his website some very debilitating periods.  If my tinnitus increases and hearing decreases, I can live with that.  Most of you are real heroes.  I don't know if I can measure up if and when the time comes...
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

Tisha

Re: CK at Stanford w/ Dr. Chang
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:06:58 am »
Hi, I had my CK treatment exactly 3 years ago (this week) by Dr. Chang/Solstys at Stanford.  (I was very lucky as it was unusally nice weather and it was a wonderful vacation week when not at the hospital---which was only about 10 hours max).

Everyone's post-CK journey is different, but just know that most everything you might encounter is not unusual.  Dr. Chang is very good at answering emails within 24 hours, and don't be timid to ask away!  I say just hope for the best, but be prepared for bad times, too.  I've gone thru several difficult times in the last 3 years.  I still have imbalance issues, and about every 3 months or so they are bad enough to make me sick and in bed for 1/2 day.  Then it sort of goes away and I'm fine.  Docs say that the balancing nerve has just not completely gone out  yet.  But...this is better than it was.  I still have my hearing! 

Good luck.  CK is really a piece of cake and you will be in good hands.  I have my MRI 3 year MRI coming up in a month or so.
Tisha

1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:16 am »
Richard,
Like I had said in your PM that I hope your treatment goes well. CK is a very good option. I did my 3 days about 4 years ago and it was a piece of cake. Did have some bumps in the road but not too bad.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »
Richard

I did not have my CK at Stanford, but as everyone has mentioned it really is fairly easy to go through.  And as they have said each person is different so what you encounter will be unique.  I had mine done about 14 months ago, have had slight hearing loss and increased tinnitus  but overall I am doing well.

Best of luck, remember relax you can't change what you have and in the end all will be fine.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:40:40 am »
Good luck.

You're in excellent hands with Dr. Chang.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richard_T

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »
Thank you all for your support.  I am now less than 2 hours from the CK.  Probably my top 2 concerns at this point are the 6-18 months out symptomology (no vertigo please) and any difficulty in peeling away at the "melted" AN in surgery should it show growth or similar problems.  Of course, I'm not really worried about these issues because, as you all know too well, there really are no shortcuts with an AN no matter what course of action is chosen. Also, I am not really the worrying type.  I'm just trying to keep my finger on the issues and plan appropriately. 

See you all on the other side.

Richard   
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

JLR

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »
Hi Richard, When you head home after CK day 1, your going to say, "gee that wasn't as bad as I thought, actually that was pretty easy" and you'll see day 2 and day 3 will be as easy. Of course its the radiation that plays a little havoc down the road but considering the alternatives CK is the way to go.  The key to CK and the mask and lying still is to relax and try to drift off a bit.  Good luck, stay well, and welcome to "the other side" JLR